Replaying the classics.

eloic

Veteran
Dear Beyond3d forum colleagues,

The purpose of this thread is to post everytime we replay our "oldies", those games that we probably have collecting dust somewhere in our house, next to our abandoned consoles. Yes, those games that we remember once or twice a year and we must ask our mother where they are because we forgot it...

That's not my case in the present, because I only own a PlayStation that I still use (I unpacked it again), but I know how this works for the most of us.

It's time to unpack your old console again and to replay those games that made you have a good time!

:smile:

To the mods: I think that this thread could be a sticky thread. In case you make it a sticky, you may delete this.

Well, I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy for my Wii, with the intention of replaying the original (and IMO vastly superior) Metroid Prime. The others were okay, but focused too much on combat - especially the third incarnation. The original MP captured the action-exploration aspect of the first MP games perfectly.

I'd re-play Super Metroid also if only Nintendo would release a classic pad that didn't connect to the wiimote, using the GC pad is not ideal for SNES games... :(

I recently played Ocarina of time & Conker Bad Fur Day, too bad I never owned a GC nor do I own a wii...there are so many games I would've loved to play.

I tried playing Dark Forces again after purchasing it on Steam. Keyword "tried". The graphics looks so bad on my 32" LCD I can't distinguish one level of grey/brown from another and so can't find my way around the game world. The first few levels I was able to play through just on memory alone, but after that it's just a big blurry mess. I ended up using the level skip cheat code to get all the way to the last level, which I can navigate through but there's so many enemies it's incredibly difficult to actually kill them all and get to the end of the level. I may try to beat it on normal difficulty instead of hard.

Same goes for X-Wing, which I played a few months ago. Although I got a lot further there, to the 2nd tour of duty at least.

Edit: these are PC games of course. Sorry if this is too OT for the thread.

Need for speed III: Hot Pursuit.

I'm replaying this little lewel.

2r7y590.jpg

nfsthree.9_640w.jpg

For its time, the graphics were great: it has beautiful, colourful, solid tracks, amazing lighting (only surpassed in a PSX racing game by Ridge Racer Type 4, in my opinion) and nice weather effects. The sense of speed is phenomenal and some jumps add even more fun to the experience. "Hot Pursuit" mode was very original and funny.

I "rediscovered" first person view (it hasn't a cockpit view, though, only a first person camera), which is funnier and more challenging in many ways.

The only bad thing about it is the difficulty level. Try to play a Tournament in Expert mode and you'll see what I mean: you start in the 8th position and you must drive PERFECT if you want to be 1st to 3rd in the first track. If you don't, the tournament is over. Let alone Knockout mode... Even in "Beginner" is far too difficult.

This way I won't be able to unlock the Mercedes and to get the secret track and the secret car (El Nino), which I wanted to achieve without tricks.

Do you remember this game? Have you played it? Have you beaten all those modes?

Classic! I used to love that game. Might I also add that the Ferrari Maranello is one of the most beautiful things on wheels.

NFS3 was a great game, and I did beat everything. In fact, because I have the PC version, I added more cars and tracks to make the game more interesting/difficult. My brother made a few tracks with these huge canyons you had to jump over, which I enjoyed. There were also the many silly cars, like the jet fighter, extremely heavy truck and cruise missile.

NFS:HP2 was also good. The online play was extremely competitive, but I was still able to win the occasional race. Perfection is, of course, required to do this.

These days, I prefer the Trackmania series, because the recent NFS games are just a bunch of ricer cars going in circles with auto-steer. I didn't have to try to beat them. A waste of time.

Still, I don't consider NFS3 of of the old-school games I've played. I think of Mist, Riven, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Duck Hunt, FF4. Early 90s stuff mainly. Still, it's interesting to see how the definition of "old-school" changes over time.

NFS3 was a great game, and I did beat everything.
:smile: ...

In fact, because I have the PC version,
... :cry:

I added more cars and tracks to make the game more interesting/difficult. My brother made a few tracks with these huge canyons you had to jump over, which I enjoyed. There were also the many silly cars, like the jet fighter, extremely heavy truck and cruise missile.

NFS:HP2 was also good. The online play was extremely competitive, but I was still able to win the occasional race. Perfection is, of course, required to do this.

These days, I prefer the Trackmania series, because the recent NFS games are just a bunch of ricer cars going in circles with auto-steer. I didn't have to try to beat them. A waste of time.
I don't know if the difficulty level is differently adjusted in the PC version but dude, I still can't pass the first track of a Tournament in Expert mode.

Still, I don't consider NFS3 of of the old-school games I've played. I think of Mist, Riven, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Duck Hunt, FF4. Early 90s stuff mainly. Still, it's interesting to see how the definition of "old-school" changes over time.
Oh, I also remember some Amiga 500 games, when I was a child, but still, PSX games are a classic, now, in my opinion.
:smile:

Battle Arena Toshinden on the PS1, but most of classic gaming in on my Amiga (Hybris, Shadow of The Beast, Alien Breed...) and every now and then I boot up the Speccie for some Sabre Wulf or Spyhunter, maybe even Viking Raiders. And yesterday I got my Archimedes up and running again for the first time in forever!

Battle Arena Toshinden on the PS1, but most of classic gaming in on my Amiga (Hybris, Shadow of The Beast, Alien Breed...) and every now and then I boot up the Speccie for some Sabre Wulf or Spyhunter, maybe even Viking Raiders. And yesterday I got my Archimedes up and running again for the first time in forever!
I also remember an Amiga game. It was about an ant that had to push some rectangular pieces, like a domino, I can't remember the name but I had a lot of fun with it.

Back on Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit, I haven't beat a Tournament in Expert mode, yet, but I will... I WILL! I still want to know if some of you have played this game on the PSX and if you beat it in the different modes.

ShaidarHaran, you said that you used to love this game, but you didn't say if you beat it...

A year ago i replayed Fallout 1 & 2.

Have to say that Fallout 2 is still miles better than the crap that is Fallout 3 (crap relative to the first two, its still a decent game). The game was just a million times deeper than the sequel. Without going into details this example should be enough:
If you turn down your intelligence to very low levels in fallout 2, your character will be so dumb that his speech will be impaired to such an extent that you sound like a caveman, only uttering words instead of sentences. Like this: [Your character]: "Food. Hungry."
(you can still finish the game with this incredibly dumb caveman, althought it may be challenging).

Last edited by a moderator:
Like this: [Your character]: "Food. Hungry."
(you can still finish the game with this incredibly dumb caveman, althought it may be challenging).
Lol ! that made me laugh.
I haven't played any of the previous games but I loved Fallout 3....think I should give Fallout 2 a try.

Acorn Archimedes... To think that within that ancient beast lies the embryo of the CPU that spawned billions of sires in cell phones and harddrives, portable gaming machines, home electronics like surround receivers, DVD/BR players and recorders and stuff, various embedded microcontrollers in car ABS systems, fuel and ignition systems, CNC machines...on and on and on and on. :)

The most powerful descendants today are hundreds of times faster than the old ARM processor in the Archimedes. Mindboggling! :)

I've been playing an old SNES game recently. Seiken Densetsu 3. The third game in the series that spawned Secret of Mana.

Recently replayed Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES on emulator with a USB PS2 controller on my laptop.

Hours of gaming goodness.

I've been vaguely thinking of playing Halo 2. For a supposed Halo fanboy, I've never beat Halo 2 or Halo Wars.

I could buy it off XBL classics, rather than hunting down a disc. I'd get a kick out of doing that.

I have a real SNES and Genesis gifted me from a second hand shop around here too, with a few games. Pretty cool, though I've never touched them yet. Of course I'm old enough to have had those systems the first time around. I also have a 13" CRT TV that I plan to use to play them, as in my lag finding mission I've discovered that playing 480i on todays LCD's is a recipe for massive lag.

I've been playing an old SNES game recently. Seiken Densetsu 3. The third game in the series that spawned Secret of Mana.

How do you find it? Secret of Mana is one of my fave games of all time but i just could never get into Seiken Densetsu 3 and all of the other games related to the series have been pretty lame aswell. Dont know why they didnt atleast do a single proper sequel to Secret of Mana keeping the formula mostly the same, instead they tried to drastically change it every time and never got it right :devilish:

Acorn Archimedes... To think that within that ancient beast lies the embryo of the CPU that spawned billions of sires in cell phones and harddrives, portable gaming machines, home electronics like surround receivers, DVD/BR players and recorders and stuff, various embedded microcontrollers in car ABS systems, fuel and ignition systems, CNC machines...on and on and on and on. :)

The most powerful descendants today are hundreds of times faster than the old ARM processor in the Archimedes. Mindboggling! :)

But still surprisingly zippy considering its antiquity!! Bugger to program in assembler though...

Back