Semi Accurate's 4XX views

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. an italian user on the hwupgrade forum said that the card is indeed quite hot (99/100 °C in furmark with fan at 70-80%) and loud (100% is "very annoying" to use his words). So maybe not all the ´manufacurer used the "good" drivers (the card is an EVGA) for shipping. A question now arise, why Nvidia let the reviews come with these "bad" drivers. Options are:

1) there are no "good" drivers
2) They were very late with "good" drivers (unlikely, due to the time they had to prepare the launch)
3) Performance on "good" drivers is recognizably lower

Hmm.. an italian user on the hwupgrade forum said that the card is indeed quite hot (99/100 °C in furmark with fan at 70-80%) and loud (100% is "very annoying" to use his words). So maybe not all the ´manufacurer used the "good" drivers (the card is an EVGA) for shipping. A question now arise, why Nvidia let the reviews come with these "bad" drivers. Options are:

1) there are no "good" drivers
2) They were very late with "good" drivers (unlikely, due to the time they had to prepare the launch)
3) Performance on "good" drivers is recognizably lower

I think I already told about different drivers (reviews / release) before :) So no need to be surprised there.

The whole EVGA forum is a buzz with tools running around screaming how this thing is cooler/quieter than a HD5870 etc. I'd wait for another round of reviews...

I think I already told about different drivers (reviews / release) before :) So no need to be surprised there.

The whole EVGA forum is a buzz with tools running around screaming how this thing is cooler/quieter than a HD5870 etc. I'd wait for another round of reviews...

You have got to be kidding me.

Hmm.. an italian user on the hwupgrade forum said that the card is indeed quite hot (99/100 °C in furmark with fan at 70-80%) and loud (100% is "very annoying" to use his words).

The temps don't concern me. That's just one variable of the matter and these cards aren't running beyond what quite a few other cards run. For example, some of the Radeon 4850s run really hot (>100C) and so do some discrete notebook GPUs. ~90C is a rather popular load temp.

It's the noise that matters because combined with the temp it tells you just how much heat they are trying to dissipate. NVIDIA has gone well beyond what a dual slot cooler can handle in any sort of quiet way. I strongly doubt the cards are going to burn up though. "Enthusiasts" get all caught up on this with every single card.

Last edited by a moderator:
The temps don't concern me. That's just one variable of the matter and these cards aren't running beyond what quite a few other cards run. For example, some of the Radeon 4850s run really hot (>100C) and so do some discrete notebook GPUs. ~90C is a rather popular load temp.

It's the noise that matters because combined with the temp it tells you just how much heat they are trying to dissipate. NVIDIA has gone well beyond what a dual slot cooler can handle in any sort of quiet way. I strongly doubt the cards are going to burn up though. "Enthusiasts" get all caught up on this with every single card.

That´s why I cited the fan speed as well.

Yeah actually I didn't mean to single you out. It's just that I run across "enthusiasts" in a panic over their card running above room temp just about every day. ;)

Reminds me of people putting peltiers on Matrox G400s and 486s. :D :D

You have got to be kidding me.

http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=287315

seriously... whoever was crapping their pants over noise is a friggin idiot. they're both quieter at 100% fan than 5870s which literally sound like shop vac...

these sound quieter... less rumbly... but more like precision jet intakes. lol. totally subjective... but seriously... they sound less noisy and better quality in terms of air flow/disturbance noise.

Oh and the fans are fine. No worse than the 200 series and definitely not as loud as my 5870 at 100%. I refuse to set that card to 100% fan as it is obnoxiously loud. I can't stand it.

My 480 has been running at 100% all day and it doesn't bother me...

5wkwmr.jpg

You misunderstand. I am referring to the noise, not the 100% fan thing.

Question still holds tho, not everyone conciders a noise to be same level of annouying. For some, its not bad, other unbearable. It all comes down to the end user. I know a few people who think a Zalman 9700 is too loud for their tastes.

Question still holds tho, not everyone conciders a noise to be same level of annouying. For some, its not bad, other unbearable. It all comes down to the end user. I know a few people who think a Zalman 9700 is too loud for their tastes.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the claim "they're both quieter at 100% fan than 5870s which literally sound like shop vac". That claim can be scientifically proven correct (or more likely in this case, proven incorrect). It does not "come down to the end user".

The more they talk about "but it's quieter at 100% fan speed" the less big the other issues of this abomination seem, no?

neliz, no. Let wait to see what additional review sites state. I doubt the 5870 ever has to run at 100%, let alone anywhere near that level. I think they're going for some self-justification for their new shiny and expensive purchase.

I remember asking the question in the 6800gt days about if it was possible to lower the temp at which the card underclocks itself as I thought 105 centrigrade was a bit on the high side and literally got attacked for it ;)

The more they talk about "but it's quieter at 100% fan speed" the less big the other issues of this abomination seem, no?

What other issues are there that are bigger than the fan noise? Only other thing I can think of is availability (which is obviously the biggest one of all).

It's really a great product aside from the heat and power usage. Its performance is impressive and if the laws of physics would stop getting in everyone's way we would have unbelievable hardware. :D

Just think how we used to have GPUs that didn't even need heatsinks and then you realize how manufacturing just isn't keeping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back