Sony Disable “Install Other OS” in firmware (v3.21)

Alucardx23

Regular
PS3 Firmware (v3.21) Update

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.
In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.
Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later
For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

Rather infuriating. Had GeoHotz not made my ipod touch many times more useful I'd be pissed at him for causing this. My fury for Sony on the other hand remains. Taking away advertised features?

I paid through the nose for a launch day unit, I don't appreciate them taking that value back from me

What's going to happen to that 10 GB? Do I have to backup/format/restore to get it back?

Why even bother taking linux away? The hackers that need it, simply won't update.
I haven't updated my main PSP past 5.00 m33-6, and never will, unless Dark Alex comes out with a new one.
I have spare PSPs for any game that comes out that needs a newer firmware and can't be hacked. Which hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
April fools joke? I hope it is.

You'd expect an April Fool's joke to be delivered on the 1st though vs about the 1st. Also would be a strange line of joking for Sony to pursue to begin with... I haven't looked into this at all myself, but I'm bracing myself. Ah well, makes the loss of the phat less traumatizing now - if they can just get that PS2 emulation up and running...

This has to be the most ridiculous panic-driven decision I've seen in ages. If this is true, shame on you, Sony.

My Linux install does not get used that much, so the loss is not that big. Problem is that they are removing a feature that was advertised AND payed for.
But I guess Sony got their legal backside covered, before doing this, if not its going to be fall out city :)
Especially up here in the Nordic area, consumer rights are particularly strong.

What did you guy's expect? It's a feedback loop. People start trying to hack the PS3, Sony will retaliate. Blame Geohot.

Besides, anyone who REALLY uses it is kidding themselves for being upset, as you're wasting time with a crippled Linux system anyway. There's nothing wrong with this, the panic is just here because it's Sony.

I really don't think geohot's hack was the true motivation for this; it just sounds better than 'it's not cost-effective to continue supporting Linux on PS3'.

Sony's hypervisor meant that PS3 linux was never going to get anywhere anyway, and 256MB RAM (less in reality) is just way, way too little for a useful system.

I read it, my brain thought, "they're taking away a feature I bought and paid for!" for all of 1.5 seconds, then the rest of me thought, "meh!" Brain then agreed.

PS3 linux has always been a lame duck, and it's never going to change. They may as well just kill it. It's a games console after all (with a buncha media features), as a linux box it was crippled beyond usefulness for a majority of tasks.

To put the Linux aspect in context though, even though it was full support, one of the primary goals for it was always to put a cheap Cell development environment in peoples hands, in that capacity it excelled. Hell as we know it even formed the basis for quite a few clusters of note.

I don't think Sony is 'covered' legally or that they are not; that is a decision for the courts should it end up there. Obviously Sony feels that they have a defensible position, but both sides of any issue often do. Whether it will even get that far though is a different matter.

It's been so long since I have booted up Linux on my PS3, that I don't even remember the root password. :(

Oh well... It was a nice idea. But frankly I was kind of let down by how poorly it was supported by both Sony and the community. But I can't blame them. Especially due to that RSX being totally locked up, it simply was not a great price vs performance proposition as a linux desktop. It was only interesting to people who wanted to get into domain specific programming involving the SPUs.

I think Sony originally thought if they handled this to the community, the community would be able to generate all these cool interesting use cases for the Cell processor. But writing SPU code turn out to be such a tricky chore, and so specialized, that it seems no one wanted to do it unless they were being paid to do it.

The couple of people who were seriously looking at the platform seem to have devoted all their time to unlocking the RSX GPU or getting around the Hypervisor instead of simply doing cool things on Cell. So it kind of backfired on Sony. I'm not surprised they are removing it now.

I heaven`t ever used OtherOS, but I quickly bought a Fatty as soon as the Slim was out for this very reason.
I always planned to get AROS running on it, but I can kiss this dream goodbye now :cry:

Im pretty pissed at Sony that they gone this far... din`t they have some official statements that OtherOS will be still supported in future Firmwares?

I really don't think geohot's hack was the true motivation for this; it just sounds better than 'it's not cost-effective to continue supporting Linux on PS3'.

There was no cost on Sony's end, what so ever. Other OS has been removed from Slim PS3's since launch, and the only units that had it were older models. Sony didn't have to spend anything to continue to support it.

It is extremely likely that this is a direct result of the publication of Geohot's hacking efforts, and closing up an otherwise open loop that could potentially give access to the Cell and System Memory (potentially opening up exploits) was the best way to curb his efforts proactively.

I'm not upset about this at all. Regardless of their intentions, homebrew guys always end up creating some way for people to exploit a system. They want homebrew, but create a way for people to pirate games.

Sony didn't have to spend anything to continue to support it.

Well, from a certain standpoint that's not true, as OtherOS considerations would continue to be something which would require effort (or rather impose a constraint) in terms of making sure it remained intact as far as future firmware relative to the legacy units. If they do indeed toss it, they are 'freer' to move ahead in terms of having one less legacy item to maintain.

It's totally cool that you are not upset about this Tha_Con, just so long as you understand and respect why some others might be! ;)

Well, from a certain standpoint that's not true, as OtherOS considerations would continue to be something which would require effort (or rather impose a constraint) in terms of making sure it remained intact as far as future firmware relative to the legacy units. If they do indeed toss it, they are 'freer' to move ahead in terms of having one less legacy item to maintain.

It's totally cool that you are not upset about this Tha_Con, just so long as you understand and respect why some others might be! ;)

I suppose I'm more confused with the anti-Sony hate, and not the hate for the people who actually caused this proactive behavior from Sony.

Okay, I'd have never gotten around to it, but I'm decidedly disapointed my chance of creating a Cell-based software synth is gone. Soooo much lost potential. A PS3 computer could have been something beautiful.

Incidentally, what about people who bought Fixstars PS3 encoder? Or was no-one that daft?

I suppose I'm more confused with the anti-Sony hate, and not the hate for the people who actually caused this proactive behavior from Sony.

I don't know that I'm reading much "hate" around the web, but certainly the PS3 hacking thread read like a "Geohot Lynch-mob Meetup" thread, y'know? So certainly, IMO at least, there's plenty of hate for the hackers.

Why regular owners would be more upset with Sony than Geohot though - and not many folk even care about this whole thing either to be sure... but the reason they would is because Geohot never did anything to any of 'us,' whereas Sony now is, after what is also the very recent promise that this exact action was an action they would not take after the Slim's launch.

I'm not saying you should be upset, I'm not saying that I am myself either - I am indifferent - but without even the hack job translating to piracy of any form as yet, it might read as being overly reactionary/proactive.

Okay, I'd have never gotten around to it, but I'm decidedly disapointed my chance of creating a Cell-based software synth is gone. Soooo much lost potential. A PS3 computer could have been something beautiful.

Incidentally, what about people who bought Fixstars PS3 encoder? Or was no-one that daft?

Are they affected ? It's an enterprise tool/app. I don't think 3.21 affects them at all since it only removes gaming capability from their perspective. PS3 Linux is still supported.

For the consumer Fixstars app, I think it'd be like Apple killing Newton.

I suspect it's both. ^_^

Maintaining PS3 Linux, playing cat-and-mouse gaming with geohot and crew is probably a distraction now.

I am curious what kind of attacks they can launch on PSN since they now have Linux + low level hypervisor access. They can't really cite security as the reason for this move since it may encourage more attempts/curiosity.

Back