Are Consoles Holding Back PC Gaming?

Point and click adventure titles sure have (much to my glee) but what other genres?

He said it later in the thread. Simulators, 4x, puzzle, wargames. I will add turn-based tactics/stategy and niches within the more popular genres, FPS's, racing, RPGs.

And I can't wait to see what Rob Cunningham's new studio is up to. He was a co-founder and creative director at Relic.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really should get Skyrim on pc btw :)
I probably will. For some games, I prefer sitting on the couch downstairs, which will mean PS3 version.

As for hardware level... Well, my system's getting pretty long in the tooth. It was built to play the first Crysis, and I've replaced the video card since then. I've yet to come across anything that it can't play at maximum settings. When it's unable to play the game I want at the settings I want, then I'll upgrade it (I know where its weak points are). The benchmark right now seems to be Crysis 2, and it played the demo fine (I haven't gotten the full version yet).

Er no, the gaming gods say you should get off your fat lazy ass and move the pc

This man's word here is gospel.

I built a cheap as shit gaming PC for the TV down at the house, and now the whole family gets in on it.

As a bonus, everything;

a) Looks better
b) Runs better
c) Controls better
d) Is better
e) Better.

...I bet almost no one here would upgrade. If the pc gamers themselves aren't willing to spend the money, then how can a developer be convinced to spend the money to target said hardware that pc gamers won't buy in the first place? I'd be really interested in knowing what the typical gpu hardware is of people on this very forum. How much you want to bet that >50% of the people here have 5770 level of gpu power? I'd be curious as well as to how many game on laptop.

But even old 8800GT would set DX10 as a baseline. That's what we need developers to do on PC at this point.

Bah you dont see people complaining about the demise of filmmaking just because Transformers 2 sucked. Indie gaming is at a renaissance and PC is at the heart of that.

Industry is too fixated on pushing graphics and production values, when everything else needs attention first.
I think people have been saying this kind of thing forever though. Probably the moment graphics came into the equation and made everything more accessible than text-based games. :D

Personally I'd be quite content if only somebody would make me a new Battlezone-style game. I think that's the big gaping hole in my gaming worldview.

This man's word here is gospel.

I built a cheap as shit gaming PC for the TV down at the house, and now the whole family gets in on it.

As a bonus, everything;

a) Looks better
b) Runs better
c) Controls better
d) Is better
e) Better.

I don't get why people think hooking up a computer to an HDTV is so difficult. I've been using an LG 1080p 32" system for the past two years as my main computer monitor. I just pull up my Ikea chair, set a stool next to it as a mouse platform and lay my keyboard on my lap. It's a very nice way to play games and surf the web, though I still like the classic desk type set up too, perhaps arguably more.

There's these two guys at school and they're really popular and if only they would die then everyone would want to be friends with me and all the women would flock to me and have sex with me but I wouldn't want any of those women anyway because they're shallow and not intelligent enough and I hate microtransactions nomgnomgnomgnomg

Look at it the other way. PC gamers by and large, even the vocal ones, don't seem to be willing to spend even $275 to get a good gpu. Even if I made it easy for them with a link, like a 570 for $275, no tax and free shipping:

http://dealsea.com/view-deal/49212

...I bet almost no one here would upgrade. If the pc gamers themselves aren't willing to spend the money, then how can a developer be convinced to spend the money to target said hardware that pc gamers won't buy in the first place? I'd be really interested in knowing what the typical gpu hardware is of people on this very forum. How much you want to bet that >50% of the people here have 5770 level of gpu power? I'd be curious as well as to how many game on laptop.

But at a certian point even older machines are upgraded. Look not everyone has a 8800gtx in their machine or a radeon x 1800xtx . So if a game comes out that needed dx 10 as the baseline and devs got it through their head to pick a $50 card like say the radeon 6550 an dmake it perform very well on that and then scale up alot of gamers will spend that $50 and replace old cards.

For those who don't know how they will most likely be upgrading those old dx 9 machines soon I don't think you could find dx 9 i n2008 outside of really really chip emachines or cheap laptops . So alot of those dx 9 machines from 2007 and before will start to get upgraded. Esp now as bobcat and llano come out there will be alot of cheap really good performance low end machines flooding the market and they will all be dx 11.

The breathing room part is an interesting point, hopefully that means someone will be willing to step in and really wow people (next Battlefield perhaps) now that Crytek has stepped down from that role. I wonder what niche titles he is refering to as enjoying a ressurgence. Point and click adventure titles sure have (much to my glee) but what other genres?
RPGs have certianly come back from the early 2000s. We are getting at least 1 a year now and most of the time 2-3 .

Anyway I think MS needs to team up with dell , hp , acer and whoever and create a gamer line of computers. Start them at $500 and ramp them up to whatever they want. But figure out performance targets for each step up the ladder and get together with developers and say hey here is the $500 pc of 2011 these are all the games in which it performs well and list them and then keep an easy to find list for these people of what plays well and what doesn't and then have dell and others offer upgrade services.

That $500 core i3 with a radeon 5670 no longer plays your games well in 2013 well dell will sell and install for $100 a 7670 or what have you. Sure for those who can upgrade their own pc or have friends to do it , its not a steal but for those who have no clue its a cheap way to keep their machine going and ell/hp /acer whoever gets another round of money that they most likely wouldn't have gotten for another 2-3 years.

Whats with this assumption that people have to spend heaps on computers en-masse in order for PC gaming to have some kind of resurgence? If computers are no longer built with high performance in mind why should people expect that the PC has to be a high performance platform for games simply because it can be a high performance platform? Thats like talking up Honda Civics in the past because they had the capability to be built into high performance cars when the vast majority of them simply aren't.

The most popular games in the world aren't graphics masterpieces when you count the entirety of the games market from handhelds to smart phones to PCs to consoles together. The bulk of the market doesn't seem to value graphics as the number one value above everything else so obviously the bulk of the PC market wouldn't think the same way as long as they are proportional with other platforms.

In short the PC platform isn't the graphics platform even if the highest performing machines are found on that market.

Back