• Meh for both

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • 480's ok, 470 suxx

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • WTF for both

Votes: 58 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
depends onthe card. Obviosly binning would be important however the are a large amount of cards doing 1ghz on 1.2v

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235693

HD5870 average OC: 1027 / 1286 @ 1.27v

The concept of average is anathema to XS. You're talking about the most hardcore overclockers in the world, guys to whom 24x7 stability isn't even a concern. Any results gathered from such a sample should be treated as the upper bound, not the average.

Which campaign? GTX480 is the most power hungry graphics card ever made (exceeds TDP even in current games), it's also the most noisy graphics card ever made, it's overpriced, still unavailable, and its performance is 15% better than single chip competitor, despite it was planned to compete with dual-GPU part. What exactly is better on this product, than the most pesimistic predictions stated?

That's for another thread clearly...

Also, noisier than anything ever made ? I'm guessing you forgot the GeForce FX's cooler ?
Availability was already known to be pushed to April, so what's your point ? Also source on it "being planned to compete with dual-GPU part". Is it you guessing or was this ever confirmed ? As far as I remember, most rumors hinted at a dual GPU Fermi based card to be released as well, and that's the one that would take on the HD 5970. Given the power constraints, that certainly won't happen soon.

As for what exactly is better: performance. Most people here that just love to cite certain "articles", were expecting the GTX 480 to match or slightly outrun (5%) the HD 5870. That isn't the case. It's better and from a GPU that's not even fully enabled, given the problems it had. It was certainly a complicated birth :)

Now power is definitely an issue. It consumes way too much for its performance and that's what's certainly going to be tackled on the next iteration and derivatives.

GTX480 is the most power hungry graphics card ever made (exceeds TDP even in current games)
Depends on whom you trust more.

it's also the most noisy graphics card ever made
No.

it's overpriced
No.

its performance is 15% better than single chip competitor
Yes in cases of 300 fps vs 345 fps.

despite it was planned to compete with dual-GPU part.
Never was. You can't plan for something like this.

What exactly is better on this product, than the most pesimistic predictions stated?
15% is more than 5%. $500 is less than $800. 250W is less than 298W. 700 MHz is more than 500 MHz. Or was it 400?..

Yes, the product has a few interesting points, but common aspects, which were discussed before launch (performance, price/performance, power consumtion, cooling, die-size) are all worse than expected. I really have no idea what is Silus talking about...

How was price/performance worse than expected ?

Most people here were expecting the GTX 480 to cost an arm and a leg and perform just 5% better than the HD 5870...

Power consumption is bad no doubt about that.

Die-size ? Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any review even mentioning it (maybe TR will, but they haven't published their review yet). What's the size ? The worst speculation put it over 550 mm2 (very close to GT200)

How was price/performance worse than expected ?

It's not. It's just a tagline in that smear campaign you alluded to earlier. I'm baffled as to how 20% higher price for 15-20% higher performance for a flagship part is a travesty. Goal posts keep shifting.

[edit] Sorry, I was being too generous. HD 5870's are going for $429 now so the performance gain is even higher than the price increase. I would love to hear the arguments for why it has poor price/perf.

Yes, memory could be an issue at ultra-high resolutions and AA, but this doesn't explain Fermi's apparent speed advantage at low resolutions. It could be that triangles are too small at the lower resolutions, and bumping the clocks might not improve this much.

I agree, we'll have to wait and see in the next couple of weeks when the 5870 2 gig refresh cards are released.

It's not. It's just a tagline in that smear campaign you alluded to earlier. I'm baffled as to how 20% higher price for 15-20% higher performance for a flagship part is a travesty. Goal posts keep shifting.

Prices are a lot more than that here. You can get a 5870 (in stock, despite it being more expensive than at launch) for less than you can preorder a 470 (yes, 470, not a typo).

The cost rises non-linearly with die size.

A 10-15% win with a 58% larger die, is an architectural smack-down in my book. To be fair, fermi is the beginning of a new architecture (with a lot of headroom) while ati needs substantial improvements in the near future to remain competitive. Considering fermi's gestation, it is not at all obvious that amd can pull them off without missing their initial clocks/yields/power/area targets either. Overall, Fermi is a nice architecture. GF100 is it's meh implementation. The heat/noise and missed clocks only serve to add insult to injury.

No idea about voltages.

Or is this the beginning of a Netburst vs K7/8 journey?

Can't wait for the Prescott. :p

Notice that I never said that?

Uh huh, you just said:

compres said:
Exactly what everyone without bias will see it.

This 'launch' is clearly not as strong as it could've been and I see wide consensus there. But crowing and slinging fanboi accusations around like you did on top of that takes it quite a step further, and it's probably good you're weaseling out now instead of standing by that silliness.

Prices are a lot more than that here. You can get a 5870 (in stock, despite it being more expensive than at launch) for less than you can preorder a 470 (yes, 470, not a typo).

What prices? All we have for now is MSRP. On April 12th we'll see what e-tail prices look like and can do a street price comparison then.

I would love to hear the arguments for why it has poor price/perf.
It kinda depends on where you're planning to buy one. Our local MSRP puts 470 slightly above 5870, and that's poor price/performance in comparision to competition. US MSRPs are fine though.

It kinda depends on where you're planning to buy one. Our local MSRP puts 470 slightly above 5870, and that's poor price/performance in comparision to competition. US MSRPs are fine though.

Ah, yes agreed that would be bad price/perf. I wonder why the HD 5870 is relatively more expensive in the US.

[edit] Sorry, I was being too generous. HD 5870's are going for $429 now so the performance gain is even higher than the price increase. I would love to hear the arguments for why it has poor price/perf.

PowerColor AX5870 (DiRT 2 edition) is in stock for $395 + free shipping:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10012194&prodlist=search

Will it have the lifespan of the G80? I guess that depends on how tessillation takes off, but I have my doubts.

Heck no!

But then I guess any GPU architecture staying more or less relevant for 4.5 years is pretty unique by itself, right?

HD5870 get cheaper locally. Local final price is 8200Kc (~$430) for HD5870 1GB (on stock) and 12000Kc (>$630) for GeForce GTX480 (pre-order). According to some sources nVidia made an agreement with local distributor and first GTX boards wil be sold with no profit, while later price will be raised.

I agree I think it has decent performance for the price and the minimum framerates it is achieving are very nice indeed. I think the big issue with most is the heat, noise and power draw to achieve that compared to the competition. The performance compared to its power footprint and die size is atrocious.

HD5870 get cheaper locally. Local final price is 8200Kc (~$430) for HD5870 1GB (on stock) and 12000Kc (>$630) for GeForce GTX480 (pre-order). According to some sources nVidia made an agreement with local distributor and first GTX boards wil be sold with no profit, while later price will be raised.

Interesting, what makes them think they can get a higher price for it after launch? Probably figure nobody will be paying attention by then.

In here the pre-order prices are almost the direct conversion of the US price to euros. The GTX 480 is slightly over 500 euros (505-510), while the HD 5870 is usually around 400 euros, with one or two brands having one for a bit less (XFX is one of ehem). The HD 5970 is through thr roof, costing on some cases, nearly 700 euros. The cheapest one I can find costs no less than 580 euros, but is usually well above 600. Can't find anything for the GTX 470 yet.

Back