Nvidia GTX 280 + "pink screen of death"?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I have a mate with an original Intel X48BT2 mobo and a C2Q 2.66GHz CPU, + a GTX 280. He's been getting random block pattern screens and crashed PC in Win7 upon cold booting his PC when starting WoW or Fallout 3 (the two games he's been playing).

Recently he switched to WinVista, and the problem seemed to go away. However he tells me now that after his PC had been running for many hours yesterday and he started Fallout 3, it happened again. So far he's only gotten this problem once in WinVista.

He's been working as a PC tech for like 15 years or so and not encountered anything similar. He's done web searches and checked forums and found many people with the same issues, but I thought I might ask here just as well. :)

Anyone might know if my bud's card is croaking on him, or if it's a driver issue? Thanks! :D

I had the same issue with 280gtx sli cards and simply changed drivers and havent had the problem since. I was thinking that the issue was initially memory related, but I think it may be solely software related. I have heard results similar to mine as well as others having to replace the hardware.

Me mate tried a big bunch of older drivers, but the problems just kept increasing in frequency. This is caused by, or at least excarbated by, that the fan doesn't seem to want to spin up like it should (even though this problem was only supposed to be present in one specific driver set which he never had installed on his box in the first place.)

It now seems his card is borked, so he's preparing to send it back. Thank grud for EU warranty regulation! :love:

Me mate tried a big bunch of older drivers, but the problems just kept increasing in frequency. This is caused by, or at least excarbated by, that the fan doesn't seem to want to spin up like it should (even though this problem was only supposed to be present in one specific driver set which he never had installed on his box in the first place.)

It now seems his card is borked, so he's preparing to send it back. Thank grud for EU warranty regulation! :love:

Was he actually able to get another 280gtx or did they offer him a 285 or 275??

Not sure he's sent it off yet. Haven't talked to him about it for a couple days. He's renovating his house, and fixing up his veteran army terrain vehicle, raising 2 kids and playing WoW and Fallout 3 also on the side... :D

I had the same problem twice, but it's been gone for the 3 days since I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. I was playing the Dolphin Emu and that triggered it.

I have a gigabyte 9800GT; I bought it to replace the gigabyte gts 250 1 GB which had the same problem, although I hadn't tried replacing the drivers with that, so it might still work. I have an M4N72-E, and I'm using Win XP.

Back