We need more old school 2D games.

Saga_Studios

Newcomer
I just think that we need some good old NES, SNES 2D games or some GB,GBA games. It would be nice if we got say all the 2D Zeldas on a disc, Maybe make a good 2D RPG that spans a dvd. Of course most of you pefer 3D, but 2D games still kick a$$. I'd like to see a Mega Man X game that took a hole dvd, it would give me alot to do, alot of levels, huge world, more to do. With todays discs, dvd, bluray, we could have huge 2d games that were sweet as heck. Problem is most people probley would buy them. Its just a dream, but it would be kool to play a Zelda game with over 100 weapons, dungeons, huge story, alot of side quests. You could do alot. Heck, MS, Sony really don't have any 2dgames, the newest 2d out there is Nintenod's Mario Brothers. Just wishing for a some good 2D games.

Klonoa 1 was ported to the Wii and bombed. But I really have to point out the irony of posting such a topic in a forum of a site called Beyond 3D :LOL:

Or Shank:

Looks good. Is it in 1080p?

One of the things that bothers me about the current get (PS3 & 360) is that virtually none of the 2D games are in 1080p.

I mean, this cant be a technical limitation right? :?:

Both consoles should be more than powerful enough to render 2D sprites in 1080p/60

Looks good. Is it in 1080p?

One of the things that bothers me about the current get (PS3 & 360) is that virtually none of the 2D games are in 1080p.

I mean, this cant be a technical limitation right? :?:

Both consoles should be more than powerful enough to render 2D sprites in 1080p/60

I don't think it's a rendering issue as much as a memory limitation issue, i'd assume. All those high res sprites take up a whole lot of memory. For example, given a character running through the screen:
If the model is 3D, you just need the 3D model in memory and the different movements don't have to 'fit in the memory' as it runs off animation routines then rendered in realtime.
If the model is 2D, you need a different sprite for each different frame of animation. That's a lot more memory than the same 'movement' using a 3D model.

There are plenty of 2D games on XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare. Some really good stuff and really the only saving grace this generation.

Back