Quick question on PSN accounts.

eloic

Veteran
Hello.

If I buy a PS3, create a PSN account and move to another country (continent), what would happen with that PSN account and all its information (trophies, etc.)?

Thank you for your replies.

Nothing, you can still use it. The only problem would be that you wouldn't be able to access the IP restricted store content, such as movies anymore.

Nothing, you can still use it. The only problem would be that you wouldn't be able to access the IP restricted store content, such as movies anymore.
So, should I create another account? In that case, could I synch the new account with the old one, to recover information on trophies and such?

By the way, I'm not saying that I'm going to buy a PS3, since I can't spend money on it. I'm just asking because I would like to have one and I want to know some things first.

You also might have trouble if you try associating a credit card from your new country to your old account.
Why do I need a credit card? To pay PSN Live monthly fee? :p

Seriously, why do I need a credit card? Could you give me some examples? It is the only accepted payment method?

Seriously, why do I need a credit card? Could you give me some examples? It is the only accepted payment method?

You just need a way of funding your PSN wallet should you wish to purchase games, themes, movies etc. I think a credit card is the easiest way!

So, should I create another account? In that case, could I synch the new account with the old one, to recover information on trophies and such?

By the way, I'm not saying that I'm going to buy a PS3, since I can't spend money on it. I'm just asking because I would like to have one and I want to know some things first.

You can have multiple accounts (I have 5 for the different regions, and a game share), but you can't move trophies between them. Why would you want to? Just use the main account for your gaming, the others for downloads.

You just need a way of funding your PSN wallet should you wish to purchase games, themes, movies etc. I think a credit card is the easiest way!
Ok, my question on the credit card seems kind of dumb, I admit it (I could see your 'duh' faces :D) . It IS obvious that I need some way of funding my account if I want to get access to some kind of services... I only wanted to know if the credit card is mandatory.

Like BoardBonobo said, to buy games on the store. You can buy cards as well, but that might be a problem as well -- different PSN stores take different prepaid cards. In general, buying games off a store that isn't in your region is a hassle.

You can have multiple accounts (I have 5 for the different regions, and a game share), but you can't move trophies between them. Why would you want to? Just use the main account for your gaming, the others for downloads.
Ok, thank you. That makes sense.

Like BoardBonobo said, to buy games on the store. You can buy cards as well, but that might be a problem as well -- different PSN stores take different prepaid cards. In general, buying games off a store that isn't in your region is a hassle.
Ok. Thank you for your reply, too.

Like BoardBonobo said, to buy games on the store. You can buy cards as well, but that might be a problem as well...
On the upside, something I newly found out, PSN cards can get you money off. I recently found a favourite online store selling EU PSN vouchers which I didn't even know had been released - £50 of PSN cash for £46 real money.

On the upside, something I newly found out, PSN cards can get you money off. I recently found a favourite online store selling EU PSN vouchers which I didn't even know had been released - £50 of PSN cash for £46 real money.

Could you describe the complete procedure with an example, please? :oops:

They won't let you migrate an account to a new country?

That question was implied in the OP. According to the replies, it seems that I would have problems. :cry:

But oh well, it also seems that there are no problems if you create more than one account, although I would not like to do that: I would feel kind of those people that have 1000 Facebook accounts...

Last edited by a moderator:
The different arms can't even talk to each other when it comes to releasing PSN games.

Ok, I know that I'm missing something but I don't know what is it. :-S

What has to do migrating a PSN account with the release of PSN games? Do you mean that you can't purchase newly released games with a migrated account or ...?

Could you describe the complete procedure with an example, please? :oops:
PSN content is bought through a PSN account. You transfer money into the account, like a PayPal account, and this is then deducted with purchases. The way to credit you account up until now was to use a bank card and transfer funds from your bank account to your PSN account. Sony have now introduced vouchers like Live! that give you a code. You buy a voucher from a retailer and type in the code to credit your account. A £50 voucher credits your account with £50 to spend on PSN content. If you can find somewhere selling these vouchers for less than face value, you get a saving. XB Live! has had voucher deals like this for years from what I hear, enabling much cheaper content if you are shrewd!

PSN content is bought through a PSN account. You transfer money into the account, like a PayPal account, and this is then deducted with purchases. The way to credit you account up until now was to use a bank card and transfer funds from your bank account to your PSN account. Sony have now introduced vouchers like Live! that give you a code. You buy a voucher from a retailer and type in the code to credit your account. A £50 voucher credits your account with £50 to spend on PSN content. If you can find somewhere selling these vouchers for less than face value, you get a saving. XB Live! has had voucher deals like this for years from what I hear, enabling much cheaper content if you are shrewd!

Oh, I see. From your first post I thought that you buy those vouchers from an online store, linked to PSN, hence I didn't understand why you had to buy with PSN money a PSN voucher to get PSN money (I understood it this way)...

I think that I'm a bit thick, today.

*puts his index finger in his mouth, like a moustache, and moves it up and down while doing a 'spongebobby' stupid noise*

Hi. I have a few more questions.

What would happen if I buy a PS3 and I move to the Dominican Republic? I know that this country is not supported by Sony. Does this mean that I won't be able to access PSN, so I won't have a profile and I won't be able to access Home, download demos, PSOne classics, etc?

A bit off-topic: are all PS3 models compatible with 120-140-240V? Here in Europe power supply is normally at 240V. Will it work with 120-140V?

Thank you. :)

Back