Events in PS3 distribution?

If we are still discussing the issue in July then Sony have a massive problem as they could be competing with a cut price 360 which could damp PS3 demand.

It is a 'problem' for Sony either way; better to have consoles on shelves when demand is high, and with some high profile releases this month... now would be a good time to have them here. Now if the new stuff arrives in a week's time, then the problem has been indicative of something good, with minor inconvenience. But July nothing - if PS3's aren't on the shelves by April, we are talking a major supply chain misstep. How do you think NPD March, April, May, and June would look without any new PS3 shipments? And if you are a gamer that decides to enter the present gen, and the only way to play is to get the 360, well, you're probably going to. That might theoretically be a customer where Sony is not even able to compete for them.

BUT, I do personally think we'll see the new revision soon enough. It is afterall what I am basing my own plans on.

Hmmm... well as per above, the thing would be with any heatspreader that may be on the RSX package - I'd probably not want to risk it, but myself would be curious as to the die size change. But yeah I'll be happy to open it up; the article would just depend on how busy things are at the time in the 'real' world, and whether anyone ot there has gotten to it already. As soon as these things arrive on shelves though I'll be out there to get mine.

I pointed out the demand that was moved to the 250GB PS3 earlier in the thread, but another benefit to Sony and retailers (from a margin perspective) is that obviously retailers shifted some of their remaining 120GB stock into bundle packages, which have all seemingly sold out as well.

Oh I be checkin' - thanks for the heads up! :)

Of course I will probably suffer from the dreaded East Coast delay, but as soon as they are here, I will have one.

Sigh. I am looking for one in Fredericksburg VA and am fairly unsuccessful. This is supposed to be a birthday present for myself. :cry:

Uh yeah, I wanted to chime back in as well but hadn't had the chance yet: these best be arriving soon, because it is starting to linger a bit long at this point in terms of the gap in the channel.

Yeah, Sony really f***ed up to be completely frank. The only possibly worse time they could have had shortages would be before the holidays with GT5 releasing. This is almost just as bad (tax returns, GoWIII, FFXIII, MLB 10, BC2, Heavy Rain, BioShock 2 etc.,).

Actually, it kind of is in-between. If you haven't followed this lately, these shortages have gone all the way back to late December. Demand is obviously there, but it's not huge in the sense that they're constantly selling out of large shipments of PS3's. Shipments seem to be fairly small. The past two months, the PS3 has sold well, but nothing amazing. This is after the PS3 had a very good holiday season.

I think the PS3 will do well in March though with GoWIII and FFXIII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw 5 PS3 slims at my Base Exchange today.
Also the local Gamestop had 3 in stock.

I didn't see any PS3s at our nearby Navy exchange, but I wasn't really looking either. I did see ~10 FFXIII X360's compared to only one at the Base exchange.

Bestbuy and Amazon both have stock online now. Seems like some shipments came in.

edit: Several GAF members are reporting that they're seeing stock in stores too.

They do have them online as of yesterday (I check daily), but in terms of stores I don't think I'm in luck yet. I would bet that those GAFers are West Coasters, which puts me a couple days out, and of course more importantly I am curious as to visual confirmation of the new model being in the mix.

Ok well they hit store shelves this morning here in the DC area - went and picked one up: 200xA.

I called another store as well to confirm their model and had them look at the box, same SKU. So - either there are some more 65nm RSX units to clear out, or... anyway I am not sure whether I just open this up and all it a day, or wait to see if maybe the 2100 units are close behind and hold out for one of those. It's been a frustrating three weeks!

Seemingly the 2100 is out in the Japanese channel at the moment, or at least that's what some anecdotal evidence via Internet searching has led me to believe. Looks like the switch to the 45nm RSX as well as whatever else is going on in there has led to a 10W drop under normal use. Part of me still wants to hold out for the new model for myself to get, but not knowing how long that would take, the majority of me simply wants to set up the existing slim model I purchased yesterday.

Back