Led bulbs

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Bought an Osram Parathom MR16 20 UCG (try to fit that model name into a normal conversation, I dare ya! :D) LED bulb today. It's a replacement for those tiny 2-pin 20W halogen spotlights, I've got just one fixture left these days that take such bulbs, but it's located at the entrance so it's a pretty important light. However due to its fairly high power consumption compared to my other lights (use 11W CFLs almost exclusively everywhere else) I've been reluctant to use it for long periods of time.

Thusly, this is kind of an experiment to see where LED tech is at the moment. Right now, it's still in its infancy mostly it would seem, but rapidly getting there. Many current model of LED bulbs may draw only a pittance of electricity and may last for 25 years, but they also put out far too little light to be useful except for mood lighting.

This halogen substitute however pumps out a fair amount of light, although pretty concentrated of course. It has three high-intensity LEDs and is rated at 4.5W. Somewhere there must be a voltage regulator thrown in, so probably a bit of electric waste, but assuming the transformation process is pretty efficient each LED could draw upwards of 1.5W each. That's pretty serious for a LED, and they do shine pretty darn bright too. Definitely uncomfortable to look straight into that's for sure, and probably unhealthy for the retina too for more than a split-second.

The armature enclosure/LED mount acts as a heatsink, and boy does that thing get hot. Must be 80+ C, it's absolutely scorching. Since it's a fairly hefty chunk of metal it cools slowly too, so changing it (when I'm fucking seventy years old, :LOL:) won't be just a case of popping it out, and then in with the new one. Oh well, I don't think it'll be much of an issue really!

Paid about SKR 150 for it, and it works pretty well. The quality of light is supposed to be warm white, but might in reality have a slight bluish tone, it's hard to say since the wall it shines on is in fact light blue! It's not obviously blueish though, if it's there it's quite subtle.

Now I just wish there were some 75/100W-equivalent LED bulbs to buy. I hardly dare think of how effing expensive they would have to be though, but I still want 'em...

Yes, LEDs seem to already a very good replacement for these types of (halogen-)lights.
By replacing a 20W type here in Vienna you save about 40-50€ a year, so they do pay off after one year.
You just have to leave one regular halogen in if you don't want to replace the power supply.

edit:
Unfortunatley there is no good standard for how natural the colour is. The CRI index is not an ideal indicator for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have a few LEDs installed and, other than price, I'm much happier with them than CFLs. In fact, for many spots I've gone back to incandescent bulbs because they last longer than CFLs where there is frequent cycling.

I just bought some of these for a new kitchen we are having installed in a few weeks (3 for 2 special offer + sale price !). These are the slightly smaller 3 x 1 watt that don't need a transformer, but can't be used with dimmers (not a problem in the kitchen). The main difference is that instead of using a lot of very small LEDs, they just use three big ones. They are very, very bright indeed, you really can't look directly at one. They don't seem to get that hot in the few minutes I tested one out, and could still be held in my hand. They seem to have a wider, brighter light at the 8-ish feet range where they will be mounted than a halogen, but use a lot less power. They are still more directional than a standard bulb or fluorescent, but less so than the equivalent halogen.

It seems LED bulbs are finally catching on properly, and I suspect will make the halogen and CFL pretty redundant as the price is now down to reasonable levels and lower power usage. I've even seen some designed to replicate a general all-around light with LEDs studded around the top and sides of a small tubular mounting inside of a standard incandescent lightbulb shape.

If they can get more dimmable versions down to a sensible price at this kind of light output, I expect the economies of scale in the next year to bring the price down even more, to the point where you'll be wanting LED bulbs before any of the alternatives.

I replaced 95% of the incandesent bulbs in my car including dash lights, interior, signal, brake, parking, trunk and license. The only light I didn't replace with LEDs were the halogen headlights which I replaced with HID.

And I seriously doubt you've saved time or money by preemptively replacing all of these things. Most of which were unlikely to burn out during the life of your vehicle, but hey it's your time and money, if you're happy with your choice, who am I to complain.

LED lights for a car will mean lower fuel consumption, so it'll pay for itself in more ways than just replacement bulb cost. Particularly in a country like Sweden, where low-beam lights is mandated by law for all hours of the day, not just when it's dark, and also particularly for modern hybrid/EV vehicles (obviously not appliccable to Rude's car... ;))

The new 231 L/W led should be out in a couple years. Cree really is far out ahead of all the other companies though, they're like the Intel of the led world.

LED lights for a car will mean lower fuel consumption, so it'll pay for itself in more ways than just replacement bulb cost. Particularly in a country like Sweden, where low-beam lights is mandated by law for all hours of the day, not just when it's dark, and also particularly for modern hybrid/EV vehicles (obviously not appliccable to Rude's car... ;))

i bet you can measure those fuel savings annually with a teaspoon.

Experimenting with another LED bulb now, bought it today. SKR 165 for a 4-watter, jesus... It better be worth it! :LOL:

For the interested, it's an Osram Parathom Classic P25 (warm white). The plan is to use it either in my bedroom as a reading light, or, as a backup light connected to an old UPS if the power goes. I have another LED lamp I might use there instead, that one's a 2.5-watter (thus noticeably leaner in its power useage) and is a lot more omni-directional; this one's rather like a spotlight due to the large, heavy heatsink making up the rear portion of the bulb.

Another advantage in using the 2.5-watter would be as an area light behind my monitor, since the lamp holder happens to hang right there... Well, behind the monitor I intend to get, since I haven't bought it yet... :)

Test running the bulb shows it's pretty damn bright. If it only had a larger area of effect... I guess we'll have to wait for bulbs using remote phosphor before powerful LED bulbs with omni-directional spread become available.

Heatsink gets really really friggin' hot after about half an hour by the way. One would think such a small amount of power dissipated wouldn't generate a whole lot of heat, but it does. LEDs are what, about 50% efficient now? Maybe a little less? So we're talking ~2.5W of heat load being generated here, assuming the DC regulator waste is included in the 4W rated power draw. Even if it isn't, it can't be a lot of waste there, if it's half a watt I'd be very surprised. So 3W worst-case, and still makes the sink too hot to touch with bare hands. Madness! :D

i bet you can measure those fuel savings annually with a teaspoon.
the true benefit of LED bulbs versus standard bulbs in vehicles is near instant light. i.e. to put it sensationally it saves lives
you can test this simply, get two brake lights one is a LED, send power to both at the same time, see which one turns on quicker

the true benefit of LED bulbs versus standard bulbs in vehicles is near instant light. i.e. to put it sensationally it saves lives
you can test this simply, get two brake lights one is a LED, send power to both at the same time, see which one turns on quicker

vs. incandescent? What's the difference in time-to-bright?
I would think that it would be orders of magnitude smaller than human reaction times...

Back