Portal 2: let's bake some cake boys!

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
If you haven't played Portal, you need to find a different hobby. It's nice to see one of the best games of this generation get a proper sequel.

There's an article in the next Game informer.

From neogaf: here's a summary

- Portal was a 'trial'. Size and assets specifically kept minimal. Had no idea it would be this popular.
- Portal was a 'test bed', Portal 2 is a 'game'.
- GlaDOS returns as the antagonist.
- Chell returns, and we play as her.
- Portal 2 takes place a long time after the original. Hundreds of years, in fact. The complex has overgrown.
- Those orbs seen at the end of Portal are personality orbs. They've cornered off sections of the labs as their own, and are concerned about the decaying state of the complex.
- The opening sounds fucking awesome. Im a bit shitty I spoiled it for myself.
- Portal gun remains unchanged.
- Physics will now be part of portal puzzle solving. EG: A vent that sucks air in can be combined with a portal to 'suck' from a different location.
- "Paint" mechanic, various liquid substances that cause some reaction. For example, in the demo shown a orange substance on the floor caused Chell to be propelled upwards. Using portals you can apply these 'paints' to other areas of the level for puzzle solving.
- Reflection cubes will allow Chell to reflect lazers for various puzzles.
- The co-op campaign will have you playing as two bipedal robots. The like to hold hands.
- Splitscreen for people playing on the console, and 'picture in picture' available for those playing remote co-op (eg: PC). This allows you to easily communicate with the other player and combine efforts for puzzle solving.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/107/1074758p1.html

Hmm, I'm a bit worried about the additional length. I think what made Portal so great (besides the hilarious story, and innovative puzzles of course) was that it was almost the perfect length, and something you could finish in a week or so, without getting bored or losing your attention.

Still though, can't wait for more :)

Finish in a week? :oops:

Speaking for myself, once I could actually get the bloody game to load up properly on my PC without crashing while loading the title screen, it took maybe...I dunno...all of an evening and most of the following night to clear it. :p

The only thing that held me back was the crashing issue, some Valve titles weird out on you and hang/crash if they lose focus while booting up and things like that.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/18/portal-2-on-ps3-features-cross-platform-chat-multiplayer-and-a/

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the Steam features shipping with the PlayStation 3 (PS3) version of Portal 2.

Marking the debut of Steam functioning on any next generation console, the features shipping in the PS3 version of Portal 2 include cross platform play (PC/Mac vs. PS3) for multiplayer games, persistent cloud-based storage of PS3 saved games, and cross platform chat (PC/Mac and PS3).

In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts.

Portal 2 is due for release on the PlayStation 3, PC, Mac and Xbox 360 this April.

Yeah, very awesome. I hope this is just the start of things to come too - I wouldn't mind being able to support Steam and its complete infrastructure in games on PS3 becoming a default feature set, not to mention being able to play the game on all platforms you own. Cloud storage of save games for the win!

That's great news! Sony and Steam would be a great partnership esp if it was *the* standard for PS4. I'll be watching the feedback on closely as will Sony and Valve, no doubt.

Does that mean if I buy the PS3 copy, I get the Mac version as well ? :p

When is Steam going to set up a Home space ? :devilish:

Hmm… I wouldn't say never. MS have their own approach, may be possible to achieve similar effect.

There's no reason they couldn't link your Live gamertag to a Steam account, like EA does with linking to an EA account to track their own player metrics and build their own social networking around it. But I don't think MS would sign on with integrating a lot of the platform features like chat etc.

Looks like PS3 is getting Move support.:cool:

"We made a mistake back then and gave the Orange Box console versions to an external team," explains Valve's Chet Faliszek. "They did a good job, but didn't quite achieve the same quality level that we have at Valve. Now everything happens in-house, we created a special console department just for that.

"So the move to the PlayStation 3 comes late -- we're sorry for that. As a small compensation we have PS3-exclusive cloud saving, a free code for PC and complete PlayStation Move support. Look at it as compensation for Left 4 Dead.
http://www.destructoid.com/portal-2-boasts-complete-move-support-on-ps3-194330.phtml

The heading could also have read 'The PS3 version is delayed .... ' It's a glass half full kind of thing. ;) But yeah, it seemed so obvious that this should have Move support, so glad it is happening.

Back