There is cake: Portal 2

I just want to go on record and say that Still Alive is a better song. The new one feels forced, and I guess it is.

I have to agree, the ending song of the first one is better. On the other hand, the second one is a better game with a nice story full of plot twists. I enjoyed it alot. :)

Abusing IP: the story behind one studio's Portal 2 ARG adventure:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...behind-one-studios-portal-2-arg-adventure.ars

While there was some backlash over how the game concluded, in the end a number of games were given a higher profile, and Valve had everyone in the industry talking about the promotional stunt. This happened due to the Valve's ability to operate quickly, gain the trust of its partners, and give the trust needed to have other personalities use assets and characters from what could be one of the biggest releases of the year.

The only question: what could possibly be done to top this?

Only a matter of time till Valve will figure out its more motivating if they take away the Steam games you like instead of giving ones that don`t interest you.
Stick >> Carrot.

Steam has been successful because Valve know that when you're trying to get someone to give you their money (repeatedly), then carrot >> stick.

The underground test facility from the 50s had a touch of Bioshock.
Definitely so, yeah. I had that same reaction. Although technically, Bioshock is set in the 60s I believe (although the underwater city was probably built some time before then, thus explaining the heavy art deco architecture).

I wouldn't expect there to be any real cross-influence though, because you know...the 50s kind of looked like the 50s, so any setting in that time period would look pretty much in that vein. ;)

So I bought it, played a couple of maps, went to work & then played the rest in one sitting through to 6am :oops:

Fun time but like others the puzzles were generally very easy.

Generally agree the portalable surfaces are generally just where you need them, made it a bit obvious often.
Also less spots where you can just play around with looping portals.

A few where I knew where I need to go & where to launch from but couldn't find a place where I could get the initial long enough jump but did find them after a bit of a hunt around.

Got stuck on the same one as Grall & the hint didn't help, just couldn't work out how to get past it so found a vid which gave me the clue I needed (stopped the vid at that point!).
Also got very frustrated with the first transformation gel level but did eventually work out the key.

In a few bits I was expecting a head crab to pop out at me...

The one where there's a turret behind a perforated wall out in the acid lake, and you had to launch two laser boxes towards each other was hard for me. I just didn't grok using the light bridge as a barrier for the boxes and ended up making a portal near where one of the boxes was launched so I could jump out and grab it before it flew away and collided with the other box, making both of them fall into the acid.

OK so I ran through Portal 1 last night with the intent of having some hard puzzles.
But it was easy.

So it may well be that my take on Portal2 as easy is just my having played through Portal a couple of times before & recognizing situations/clues that the level designers put in.
But then it is a sequel so they should be expecting me to know that stuff already :???:

I think had I been presented with Portal2 before having played Portal1, I'd have been pretty terrified & confused by a bunch of bits where I was just like 'I need to launch from that bit, now where do I jump from/to in order to get enough speed?'

Portal_Volume1.jpg

With Aperture-brand turrets, boots, bots and panels flooding the applied science aisle of your local department store, you could forgive the up-and-coming test lab for taking a breather. Judging from their latest press release, though, their laurels remain untouched by backsides. Bolstered by recent breakthroughs in the field of jazz smoothing, Aperture announced today the first of three downloadable aural stimulus packages.

Whether you're a mega-science corporation with decades of test experience, or a young start-up liberating your first test subject from non-testing with a chloroform-soaked rag, Aperture guarantees results. Wake up your test subject, open the chamber door, and press play--let Aperture's patent-pending rhythmic compliance enhancers do the rest.

Aural Stimulus Package 1 - http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

http://www.karibannerman.com/blog/portal-2-smooth-jazz-full-non-preview-version/

Fan perfomance of the Turret Opera:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey peeps... Does any of you know if the title screens (you know, the backgrounds for the main menu and all of that) are realtime renderings, or a video clip playing in a loop? I've been trying to figure that out, but not succeeding very well.

The Half-lives and original Portal were all realtime I'm pretty sure, but L4D and L4D2 were video clips, or so I strongly believe anyway. Not sure about Portal 2. The rendering quality on the Portal2 titles is much much higher than in-game, which makes me suspect it's not realtime.

Has anyone tried the DLC pack for Portal 2? If so, what are your thoughts?

Steam Workshop support coming to Portal 2: Perpetual Testing Initiative - level editor DLC releasing for PCs and Macs on May 8th.

Feel free to rewind the video after you're done and pause it at various points to read the legalese scrolling by down in the lower left corner of the screen - there's some crazy stuff going on there, if you can decipher the thin, tiny font - youtube really compresses the hell out of such fine details. :(

Back