Critical PS3 internal clock error and its aftermath

I do have a PS3 with Linux on it. But I am a little bit scared to turn it on.

Plus I think the information you get about the RTC is not the true RTC but whatever abstraction of the RTC the hypervisor is giving you.

i would try it but my phat broke and now I have a slim

just cout it or something, I have no idea what it is a pointer to, a string, a struct, a void*, god knows.

Swine Flu has jumped species yet again! :runaway: Is it Feburary 28th that is the death date? If someone switches on past Feburary 28th, everything should be hunky-dory, no? Unless the actual time function is screwed past that point!

From what I read, if you turn it on today you're still screwed. I'll be leaving mine off.

If anyone has access to PS3 linux and are a programmer you can access the RTC error state using C function PTR_ERR(rtc);

the includes are

#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/platform_device.h>
#include <linux/rtc.h>

#include <asm/lv1call.h>
#include <asm/ps3.h>

Plus I think the information you get about the RTC under Linux is not the true RTC but whatever abstraction of the RTC the hypervisor is giving you.

Edit: Gah, actually I am really tempted to do it. But It is kind of late for me here and I just know I will be up all night playing with it and won't get any sleep! Maybe someone else will give it a shot.

Well they've got until tomorrow evening to sort themselves out. That's Tuesday night Fun and I'll sue if I'm deprived!

Plus I think the information you get about the RTC under Linux is not the true RTC but whatever abstraction of the RTC the hypervisor is giving you.

yeah, linux hwclock is fake. you don't have access to real hwclock under linux.

Whatever it is... it does not affect my non-BC "80Gb" Fat PS3 at home. Can play PJ Shooter now. May "only" affect the 20 and 60Gb Fat PS3s. Not sure about 40Gb since it's the same age as 80Gb.

[size=-2]...and Palo Alto power restored ![/size]

but even if it is abstracted the error should give some info

I don't think it matters. Linux will receive whatever hypervisor sends with it's internal clock plus the offset for linux hwclock.

The problem is currently internal hw clock is "stuck" in a decade ago, and it doesn't advance at all.
clock may be continuously sending a secret exception, but linux will not get it.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to change it yet alone make it work again.
That's probably because authentication system seems to depend on it. So it's like a chicken and egg problem.

That's what you get for calling it Fat/Phat. :p My PS3 Heavy (like the solider units in various games) is working just fine. :LOL: At least it was working just fine yesterday, all day, while playing WKC. It's an original full hardware BC unit, but this is a factory serviced refurb I was sent back.

Keep changing the date? :p sorry no clue :D

Smart Alec ! :devilish:

That's what you get for calling it Fat/Phat. :p My PS3 Heavy (like the solider units in various games) is working just fine. :LOL: At least it was working just fine yesterday, all day, while playing WKC. It's an original full hardware BC unit, but this is a factory serviced refurb I was sent back.

Aiight, I'll turn my PS3 Heavy at work on. If it works, I'm buying lottery.

unplug the PS3 first
1. Remove the STAR screw below the HDD bay
... blur ...

[Pass out from hyperventilation]

anyone have tried to remove the ps3 internal battery?
More information on this please.

Has anyone tested this?

(And how is it performed? I don't even know how to get at the battery... :p)

*Edit:
Ah, I see someone posted directions. So you have to disassemble the PS3. Well screw that then, I'll wait for a software fix.

Back