Critical PS3 internal clock error and its aftermath

Well, if that's indeed the case for everyone, fixing this issue should be trivial. Well, their phone support folks won't have a slow week, but other than that, it's just a matter of testing the fix (never release a "hotfix" that could do more harm than good when you're in a hurry).

Hope so, but if this can't be fixed by firmware? Sony will bankrupt :)

Luckly I have CECHL :p

My PS3's got the bug also (Euro launch unit; never serviced, dunno model #), I tried to manually set the correct time and date, but of course that didn't fix anything, heh.

Won't run Super Stardust HD, just gives same error code. Didn't try anything else, just shut it off again.

I suppose I won't be playing Heavy Rain either today... ;)

Also it seems that the trophies disappear from your account as soon as you try a trophy enabled game.
So make sure you don't launch a game thinking it'll work..cause doing so would mean deletion of trophy information from your HDD.

Surely trophy information is also stored in your online PSN account and not just on the local HDD. It would be trivial to restore that information again when this bug has been squashed.

I'm 42, am I old enough to be affected by the bug?
When I read that thread title I really thought it was something to do with what you've input as your age at your PSN account :)

Yesterday my launch EU PS3 fat was working ok, I turned it off at 7 PM and haven't started it after that.
I think I'll wait until official information that it's safe to start PS3s again. Don't want to risk losing any game save data.
Too bad I've already allocated some quality time with Heavy Rain for today evening :(

My has the problem also. Game updates still download and install, booted up Tekken 6 and it detected a 1.0.3 update and installed it after which i got the usual error.

I have had this problem before with same error code, was to do with the tropy information being out of sync, cant remember what i did to resolve it though. Has anyone tried creating a new Login? This should reset the trophy information for that user correct?

Surely trophy information is also stored in your online PSN account and not just on the local HDD. It would be trivial to restore that information again when this bug has been squashed.

It is.

I know because I have used multiple PS3s. And when you sign into a PS3 you have never played on before, it syncs your online trophy information to the disc.

I know about trophy info being stored online..I was instead mentioning towards cases where people haven't synced their trophies, like its the case with me [I didn't synced my Heavy Rain Trophies yesterday]

The leap year check code is quite simple and ought to be canonical. It's amazing how many products still don't use it and fail miserably on 1st Jan/March.

anyone have tried to remove the ps3 internal battery?

maybe it can reset all the settings ang bring back ps3 to life

Does anyone know how many times that Sony has changed the supplier or model of the RTC IC?

Is it even a separate IC?

Hey ps3 devs, if your TOOLS and TESTS are all broken at the moment, what are you guys doing?

chair jousting?

I posted this on neogaf thought it might be more relevant here:

Not enough hard evidence at the moment, most is conjecture or anecdotal.

My gut feeling is that it is a hardware problem.

my reasoning:

If the ps3 date is calculated via an offset i.e. hardware date is 2000 + OS date of 10 years 2 months etc, then changing the OS time should fix the problem, it doesn't.

This makes me think that when the PS3 is asking for a date from the RTC to offset from, instead of receiving 4 or 5 floats and integers that look like this:

year = 2000
day = 29

its probably receiving something that looks like this

year = FFFFFFF
day = FFFF

If anyone has access to PS3 linux and are a programmer you can access the RTC error state using C function PTR_ERR(rtc);

the includes are

#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/platform_device.h>
#include <linux/rtc.h>

#include <asm/lv1call.h>
#include <asm/ps3.h>

Swine Flu has jumped species yet again! :runaway: Is it Feburary 28th that is the death date? If someone switches on past Feburary 28th, everything should be hunky-dory, no? Unless the actual time function is screwed past that point!

If anyone has access to PS3 linux and are a programmer you can access the RTC error state using C function PTR_ERR(rtc);

the includes are

#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/platform_device.h>
#include <linux/rtc.h>

#include <asm/lv1call.h>
#include <asm/ps3.h>

I do have a PS3 with Linux on it. But I am a little bit scared to turn it on.

Plus I think the information you get about the RTC is not the true RTC but whatever abstraction of the RTC the hypervisor is giving you.

Back