[PSN, XBL] Joe Danger

So there is still hope. Seems like they were deving the game and Sony saw it and offered some cash (great for the dev team!) to get it on their platform, first/exclusive even. Good eye for talent--they game appears to exude quality.

Yeah, I hope so. Later this year I'll be signing up to Live again (Reach!) so will open up my horizons a little bit more.

I think I read somewhere a comment about no online MP (at launch?). I'll see if I can find a link.

I missed the Edge article JPT linked to first time, but it's a superb read and explains exactly the intricacies. It's as much a fluke it's PS3 exclusive, a result of an accident in trying to get licenses for both platforms with neither company particularly enthusiastic to give out devkits, and then finite resources. Unless Sony follows up for paid exclusivity, it'll see an XB360 and PC release as a financial requirement to maximise returns.

I think I read somewhere that they also got into the Sony Publisher Fund.

It was here where SCEA’s Chris Eden explained that Sony would match development budgets of independent titles with guaranteed royalties.

Which I guess would mean that Sony gets some sort preference when it comes to platform etc.
But Sony do not buy the IP, so a timed exclusive would be expected..... I'd guess...

Yes, that's how I understand it. They offer half the investment for securing a title, but they don't own it.

So this pretty neat game is getting even better. New patch adds:

* Level Sharing and More Levels
* Replays and Youtube Support
* Custom Soundtracks
* More Multiplayer Levels
* New Level Editing Props
* Costumes for Joe
* Downloadable Tours

Played the demo last night.

I'll quote Scott on this one "the only thing common with Trials is that they both have bikes."

I have to agree 100%. There is no real emphasis on physics. It's like Mario on a bike. Collect stars, points, etc... Do flips and such. I can see kids really loving it but someone who was looking for a Trials alternative until Trials 2 is released, this is not it.

Agreed.

We purchased it. My kids love it. It has style, color, humor, etc. But there is little emphasis on track mastery to improve time. There are more dynamics for platforming (e.g. multi hopping) and recharging your boost than anything else. The levels are aimed at multiple runs to get the objectives, etc.

The track editor is really slick, though, and multiplayer is nice. This is a very approachable title but it has little in common with Trials HD. In fact I wish they had allowed more freedom in lane changes ala Excite bike instead of having to wait for the lane changers. The game feels very much on rails so far.

Back