*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

Absolutely, art will become ever more important as the tech advances and it would most likely become the deciding factor for the best looking games.

Graphically there's just no match. Only complaint is that the the people are ugly in this game. Though they are well modelled, textured and all (especially Kratos :oops:), all the women are remarkably ugly :D

That's why I mentioned they should do a proper female character like Madison in Heavy Rain. :p

That said, I think the ugly guys are what make the game beautiful to me ! They are rather unique compared to generic good looking, bald men.

I liked how Aphrodite looked. Good physics, too!

Kratos is way more detailed than any other character though, it's true. The pores and smidges of ash with slight color variations all over his skin give him a real, weathered look.

OTOH Hermes (where something similar might have been the idea) just looks dirty. Something about his skin grain seems non-organic.

Hera is just your usual case of not enough detail in most aspects of the model to fit in. I dare say even regular grunt enemies have better models than hers.

edit: as for environments, I really like the place inside Gaia with the mud puddles on the ground. You don't have to play much to get there, maybe 15 minutes in.
The Tartarus vista is all kinds of amazing, too. They are setting the bar really high now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... Hermes is the stupidiest god in GoW3. He had so many opportunities to run away or attack, but he wasted all his chances and couldn't stop chatting. :no:

Interviews with God of War 3 artists:
http://www.examiner.com/x-39089-Lon...h-God-of-War-3-artists-Izzy-Patrick-and-Cecil

Following the opening reception for the Art of God of War 3, Examiner got the chance to catch up with three of the title's creative talents: Izzy, Patrick Murphy, and Cecil Kim. While there were many hands behind the incredible experience that Sony ended up producing, every solid game needs a good-looking exterior and well-rounded polish. The following artists are just a few of the minds that made the world of Kratos extraordinarily beautiful.

Well... Hermes is the stupidiest god in GoW3. He had so many opportunities to run away or attack, but he wasted all his chances and couldn't stop chatting. :no:

well he isn't actually a God in the first place :p
Just a messenger.

I liked how Aphrodite looked. Good physics, too!

Word! ... except for the hair. Good hair is tough, and like so many other games, GOWIII did not succeed in that particular area. Good thing Kratos is bald.

I think Uncharted 2 remains the king of the hill in terms of graphics (and quite easily so). It's just much more consistent. Every character model looks amazing and environments look real and believable. GOWIII on the other hand has too many empty corridors peppered with nothing but identical vases and metal gates. Mt. Olympus simply doesn't look like a place anyone would have called home. Aphrodite is just about the only person in the game who has a room that's sort of practical.

Couldn't kill Hades :( !
Yeah, after 3 games one would hope they`d have managed to create a somewhat continuous challenge. As it is the skirmishes between bosses are just a filler where you can get away with repeating a couple attacks over-and-over.
I origally startet at Hard and then couldnt survive the first encounter with the water-crab-horse thingy, had like 4 stages and at the last the camera angle is so bad you have no idea where to dodge the attacks, together with your blades seemingly having way more range than the animation would suggest.. basically alot of encounters you have more to guess where the attack hit instead of seeing it. Dint help that I dint have much health left to survive more than 1 one mistake - die, repeat cutscene and 3 stages and die again :rolleyes:

I got the game mid-june as birthday present and I still havent finished it, I did finish the previous 2 parts in 1 or 2 sittings. Doesnt seem to click with me like the old ones did.

personally I didnt encounter any significant problems in Titan mode.

I knew where to attack. Only the Scorpion boss battle though had a few issues here and there.

The water boss is pretty easy once you figure it out. So is hades

personally I didnt encounter any significant problems in Titan mode.

I knew where to attack. Only the Scorpion boss battle though had a few issues here and there.

The water boss is pretty easy once you figure it out. So is hades

Well, Imake it to the third round. I yank his heart out, kidney(?) out, then he starts shooting chains outta the ground, which r easy to dodge. Then he sends his ghost dogs and well, I always get bitten n die :( there. Dunno how long the battle continues after that, but the last chkpoint is again the start of the battle which gets annoying. ! I have to start all ovr again, yank his heart out, kidney out :mad: ! add to that kratos doesn't have many attacks as of now. I keep repeating L1+[] again and again for the whirlpool attack. The whole fight seems to be about dodging and staying behind Hades n attacking.

What needs to be done when he sends those ghost dogs, cos he seems to be immune to every attack during that whole part of summoning chains and dogs. I keep dodging the chains n dogs, but eventually die :( !

Also, when he sends ghost skulls, earlier, can they be blocked? I seem to fail that too.
(well, I am not a master of action games, buy have GOWs were always finishable( and I am at just the second boss :oops: ))

Also, when he sends ghost skulls, earlier, can they be blocked?

My memory might not serve me well (IDDQD) but I believe you can do just-frame-parry (block few frames before it hits and press rectangle/triangle) on those skulls and Kratos shoots them back at hades. You only have to block 1st skull.

Someone feel free to correct me if I misguided.

The skull portion is the last part before you get a checkpoint....Hades gave me a lot of trouble, but with careful play I was able to take him down. Also if you are playing on Titan mode you should simply AVOID using L1+[] with the blades, cause its totally useless ! Just depend on small jabs & [] [], triangle.

One thing which you should know is that the roll which you do with Blades of Exiles will maky you invulnerable for the entire duration of the rolling action, so you can use it whenever you feel you are about to get hit. And I think you can hit the skulls with your arrows. (? not sure)

Well, Imake it to the third round. I yank his heart out, kidney(?) out, then he starts shooting chains outta the ground, which r easy to dodge. Then he sends his ghost dogs and well, I always get bitten n die :( there. Dunno how long the battle continues after that, but the last chkpoint is again the start of the battle which gets annoying. ! I have to start all ovr again, yank his heart out, kidney out :mad: ! add to that kratos doesn't have many attacks as of now. I keep repeating L1+[] again and again for the whirlpool attack. The whole fight seems to be about dodging and staying behind Hades n attacking.

What needs to be done when he sends those ghost dogs, cos he seems to be immune to every attack during that whole part of summoning chains and dogs. I keep dodging the chains n dogs, but eventually die :( !

Also, when he sends ghost skulls, earlier, can they be blocked? I seem to fail that too.
(well, I am not a master of action games, buy have GOWs were always finishable( and I am at just the second boss :oops: ))

I typically try to hit with strong combos (there should be a standard combo available), where not only 'square' is involved but also 'triangle'!

Especially, try to time the combo so that the last part (especially the last blow) of the combo hits, as this causes proportionally more damage and is fundamentally more important than the first blow!

Never(!) use the whirlwind attack for a boss, IMO it is to weak and needs to much time to recover - I just use it (if ever) for small enemies in between.

When you rip out a piece of him, and he tries to get the piece back...and all his hands show up - I guess you are aware of that you get health when attacking the arms, right! So this is a very important part of the battle, as you should keep the Hades piece away of him, while hitting as much arms as possible...without much effort, this should recover your whole energy(!!)...you should not focus on the piece itself, but rather on getting as much arms as possible :)
This could indeed be a situation, where you can use the whirlwind attack, as this gives you a lot of area controll...

With respect to dodging...hm, don't know...was no problem for me, I suppose that you also use a lot of the stick to roll away, right? It is not ultra easy to dodge the chains and the dogs...but not impossible either...

Hm, as always...learn his fight pattern and try to estimate through his animations what is next...works after a bit of trying (sorry, I hope this helps a little bit)

With respect to difficulty:

* I always loved that in GOW there where some parts which where more difficult than others (and these parts typically getting famous and getting a lot of praise and hate) - especially, for me it makes sense that a boss battle is more difficult than the fights in-between! It also makes sense to me that there are bosses which are more challenging than others - I have the feeling that there are two types of bosses: the rather classical ones (these are the tough ones) and then the rather easy ones, used to show and present either the setting, graphics are just some cool action sequences (or sometimes, the brutality)!

*Hades is indeed a early difficulty spike in the game...but, I mean...it is Hades you are fighting with, he basically annoyed you throughout all the games - now it is time to revenge, and he is the boss of the underworld, right - what are you guys expecting...an easy, non memorable fight which last 3 seconds, where you just have to press 'square' button until the QTE sets in - this would have annoyed me to be honest, and I like it that Hades is a beast!!

*Another thing I read a lot in forums: people start with 'Hard' mode right away, and then get annoyed, when the game actually gets hard...

*It is interesting to note that you can parry a lot of stuff, I did not thought about in the first encounter (using the golden fleece)...which makes some stuff easier than in the first GOW games.

*To be honest: the standard difficulty in GOW3 is combarable (if you ask me) to the easy setting in GOW 1 and GOW 2. If you want as much challenge as in GOW 1 and GOW 2, try the 'Hard' mode!!
So if you guys could beat GOW1 and GOW2 on standard difficulty (without ever changing to 'easy' battle mode) - I wonder why GOW3 in standard mode causes any challenge for you?!?!

For instance: there is way (way) more health available throughout the game, there are much much more red orbs around (just look a little bit around, then you can find the hidden stuff - I typically max out really fast!!)
Maybe you guys are just a bit rusty (as I played the collection in-between, I was rather trained...but when I started the collection, it was kind of ultra tough at the beginning, as the last time I played GOW was on PSP some time ago!)

I started off GOW3 in Titan mode straight away & I enjoyed it. (apart from few notorious encounters)
But I thought the game was somewhat easier compared to the previous 2 games.

Back