*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

So how's the titan mode for everyone? Would you say it's more fun or frustrating than the God mode since I heard many nasty stories about the
Cerberus breeder fight
later on. I really wanna man up and challenge myself but without breaking my dual shock3 at the same time.
Its not hard at all imo...apart from Hades & that part you mentioned, everything ranges from easy to okay-ish as far as difficulty goes. You just have to keep a lot of track about timing your attacks,dodges & blocks right so that its your enemies who are punished rather than you.

Titan mode is easier after the patch, FYI. It's actually harder than the "hard modes" for the first two games, probably closer to God / Titan difficulty on GoW 1 and 2 than it is to normal. After the patch, however, they did a lot of balancing that brought the difficulty of the game down.

I ran through the previous two on their hardest difficulties w/out much trouble, two was harder than 1, but 1 wasn't particularly difficult once you learned the patterns (with Ares being the easiest boss in the game).

Titan mode is easier after the patch, FYI. It's actually harder than the "hard modes" for the first two games, probably closer to God / Titan difficulty on GoW 1 and 2 than it is to normal. After the patch, however, they did a lot of balancing that brought the difficulty of the game down.

I ran through the previous two on their hardest difficulties w/out much trouble, two was harder than 1, but 1 wasn't particularly difficult once you learned the patterns (with Ares being the easiest boss in the game).
Oh I didn't knew about that...as I played it before patch.
Anyways I really don't think Titan is "that" hard, some areas are a PITA for sure, but it isn't something which you will never get through after learning the strategy & dying a few times...I've played much harder games like NG & DMC on their hardest difficulty so maybe that's why.

Oh I didn't knew about that...as I played it before patch.
Anyways I really don't think Titan is "that" hard, some areas are a PITA for sure, but it isn't something which you will never get through after learning the strategy & dying a few times...I've played much harder games like NG & DMC on their hardest difficulty so maybe that's why.

NG and DMC are inflated for difficulty because of boss damage, I wouldn't really classify them as hard so much as poor game development. Great combat murdered by people who think huge damage makes a game 'difficult'. Good games, but I think they were hampered by artificial difficulty.

NG and DMC are inflated for difficulty because of boss damage, I wouldn't really classify them as hard so much as poor game development. Great combat murdered by people who think huge damage makes a game 'difficult'. Good games, but I think they were hampered by artificial difficulty.
Well don't you have GOW games do the same ? Infact isn't that how practically every game works be it action game or shooting game works ?. Increase the damage you get from attacks/lower your HP & increase the HP of the enemies/decrease the damage you cause ? Imo its more obvious in GOW than it is in other games since here the HP increase enemies get is ridiculously high,and you keep hitting your enemy for ages without having any sort of indications like HP gauge for bosses that shows how much damage you caused. That's just a Moot Point you made there.

NG for one increases its difficulty by throwing high level enemies (that you'd normally encounter in the end parts of the game) right from the start & increasing the numbers AND their blocking/attacking frequency...that's hardly cheap in my books (since you can block pretty much everything in this game by just holding the block button). DMC follows the traditional method of lowering your HP & increasing your enemy's HP and increasing the frequency of attacks from your enemies...and its to be noted that there is no proper block function in DMC you have to just evade, unless you use Royalguard style for Dante

Fixed that for you.

Dean

:oops:
sorry, just a typo...corrected it!

so...can you tell us some "tales from the crypt?":cool:
I know that you guys cannot...due to some secret SPU-Ninja's can only talk to SPU-Ninja's (aka NDA) stuff. :nope:

But I have prepared a secret encoded query, which GOW devs can answer without breaking NDA, but revealing the whole truth for us gamer:

-How many Greeks got actually harmed during the production/development of GOW and its tech?

-Whose "mother-in-law" was the protoype for the harpyie?

-Same question but change "mother-in-law" with "grandma", and "harpyie" with "Gaia"...

-Is the real reason Kratos is so angry in the GOW games....that he has to wear sandals?

-Is the reason Helios waits until GOW3...that he insists in casting some flashy "god" rays when he performs?

-?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oIyK26BHOA

And last but not least:
- Is it really true that SSM did a deal with the Devil, where they have to sacrifice a randomly chosen "Sony suit" ever other month, to get the SPU AA?

:mrgreen:

Finally started playing this. For all the jaw-dropping technical and artisitic beauty it's still a GOW game. And to my mind that's a frikkin good thing.

Can't wait to get further in; after only reaching the 2nd save point I'm keen to see a game revolving around Gaia!

BTW, Dean A... actually I won't make any how's the football career? jokes because I'm sure you've heard them before.

I guess I'll give the Titan mode for a spin then, the patch would be the secondary protocol:).
* And congratulations to Dean A, T.B. , Christer, Tim Moss and the rest of Santa Monica folks I might have missed on this board, you guys and the team have given me a very special game for my PS3 and I will support you till the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I completed my first playthrough on Titan as well. Actually didn't think I was up to it, but being able to master it was kind of epic. At the same time though, the last third of the game was quite fustrating. I needed just about 15 hours, with the last 5 hours being from the garden puzzle on (which I think shows just how much the game became even harder).

The most fustrating bit for me was the Cerberus battle, though I actually had him quicker than Zeus. Zeus was equally frustrating but especially because he can kill you with a few hits and you have less time to experiment on how to tackle him.

The most frustrating bit IMO was the labyrinth though. First being the room with the spikes and then with the last room where you have to fight hordes of enemies. Ironically, that last room is also easiest while mashing triangle with the Nemean Cestus. I actually tried different strategies for (I forget how many attempts) using intelligent comboes which got me nowhere. To say I was a bit surprised how easy it is with mashing the Cestus was a bit of a let down.

Anyway, awesome game. Am doing the challenge of olympus now and have 3 more to go.

^
Cestus makes the last room a piece of cake, L1+square for those minotaurs knocks them out far away :p . As for the room with spikes I let the spikes kill everyone until the room stopped rotating,didn't used a single attack or magic as it meant I had to stop at a single place & execute the moves & after that I left the room & didn't bothered with left over enemies

^
Cestus makes the last room a piece of cake, L1+square for those minotaurs knocks them out far away :p . As for the room with spikes I let the spikes kill everyone until the room stopped rotating,didn't used a single attack or magic as it meant I had to stop at a single place & execute the moves & after that I left the room & didn't bothered with left over enemies

I thought this was obvious, as there's practically no other way to do it. :p Even so, the amount of luck I required to get it done was quite fustrating. The first few times, I couldn't hang on to the bird because he kept aiming at someone else. Then once I got to the 2nd room, evading enemies wasn't easy because there were far to many of them and once you get hit by the enemy, you're stunned long enough to then be killed by the spikes. Also, the room only progresses once most enemies are dead, so only evading might not get the job done. (On a few attempts, the enemies usually stayed clear of the dangerous parts despite me trying to lure them in).

If I had replayed the game earlier on an easier setting would have made the whole thing a lot easier, as you ultimately already have the "winning strategy" and only need to pull it off. Getting to an unknown room and not knowing how to tackle it correctly on the Titan difficulty made it only more challenging. :smile:

^I did laybrinth in my first try on titan lol...so luring works for sure :p , the spikes follow a simple pattern.

The third time I watched the credits after beating the game...I recognized that some B3D people (no not Christer Ericson...this is obvious :)) got mentioned!!!!

I remember Dean Ashton being mentioned in the credits and Tobias Berghoff (T.B.)!

I wonder what these guys helped (maybe T.B. doing some SPU-AA-Ninja stuff?!)

Nevertheless...whatever you guys did: great job :mrgreen:
All those Sony ATG chaps like Dean and Tobias, when not busy helping little old ladies across streets, do all kinds of outlandish stud muffiny stuff so we like to give them props for that! And, yes, part of it was definitely that Tobias, Matteo and some other ATG peeps did an awesome job on the SPU AA code that went into the game.

Which area/level is that ?
The entrance to Ares tomb right before you lifting up that gate.

http://www.destructoid.com/spoiler-alert-talking-god-of-war-iii-with-stig-asmussen-170397.phtml
Spoilers in the link. And the truth about the ending content cut is revealed in more light.
You said at some point the game was bigger. That seems almost impossible. Do you mean in terms of length or scope?

In terms of footsteps. You know, how long it takes to get from beginning to the end. It was bigger, there were extra areas you had to go to. We had some extra enemies that had to get cut. We had a big Titan scene at the end, which we had to remove, which was a really tough thing to do. We had this actual whole kind of gameplay on Gaia while you're fighting Zeus, [and you're] on top of Gaia. Gaia's involved in the battle and everything. We had it all working, it was just getting it to the final stage was gonna be impossible, and we ended up having to remove it so we could make the other Titan scenes really good.

I do kind of feel that at the end of the game, I kind of expected that Gaia moment to happen. And it just wasn't there. It was definitely noticeable that something was scaled back.

Well we removed that, and we added the part where you go into Kratos' head. And I think that, for me anyways, it gave much more of an emotional impact at the end. If I had to choose between the two, I think the head thing was kind of more clever, and had kind of an impact to how the game ended and the story, and kind of what it feels like. I think it got better since we removed that.

Man for as much as I love the game I really hated Stig's decision to cut
a fully fledged out Gaia vs Zeus titan level with Kratos, in favor to the rather dull Kratos's mind sequence!!! WHY STIG ?! WHY!!
I'm willing to bet 95% of players would wanted the former:(. But please make it as DLC SSM.

I had streaming lag at the entrance to Ares' temple, so when I noticed the low res textures on the eagles surrounding the chain of Olympus, I stayed there and waited for the high res ones to load, but they never did. I assumed they just hadn't made high res assets for those statues, and that was the main thing that put the graphics a notch below Uncharted 2, in my eyes. I wonder how long MazingerDude had to wait before the high res stuff loaded there.

Back