Just Cause 2

A new patch is available on Steam now! :)

• Fixed issues that would cause vehicles and people would stop spawning.
  • Enemies will not fire on the player while they are struggling with an enemy on a vehicle.
  • Increased the presence of the Vanderbildt Leisure Liner.
  • Benchmark results now displays correct memory for various graphics cards.
  • Fix to allow players to bind mouse button 4 and 5.
  • Fix to allow players to bind E button correctly.
  • Fix to display quicktime prompts correctly when running in Eyefinity mode.
  • Enable triple buffering when vsync is on.
  • Lowered mouse sensitivity when freefalling.
  • Localized "Completion" for Polish and Russian versions
  • Localized "Mercenary Mode" for Polish version.
  • Correct settings on benchmark results screen (MSAA rather than CSAA) when using AMD GPU's.
  • Reduced input to update lag.
  • Limit frame latency command line option, for reducing input to render lag ( /dxframelatency=n, 1-3, default 3).
  • Shadow size cull tweaking command line options ( /shadowcullnear=f, /shadowcullmiddle=f, /shadowcullfar=f, or /shadowcull=f for all buffers, default: 1.0)
  • Numerous stability improvements.

The latest set of commandline options:
Code:
/failsafe           Start in failsafe mode (settings ignored)
/fullscreen         Fullscreen mode
/windowed           Windowed mode
/borderless         Borderless windowed mode
/width=n            Width in pixels  (fullscreen/windowed)
/height=n           Height in pixels (fullscreen/windowed)
/widthFS=n          Width in pixels  (fullscreen)
/heightFS=n         Height in pixels (fullscreen)
/widthW=n           Width in pixels  (windowed)
/heightW=n          Height in pixels (windowed)
/msaa=n             MSAA sample count
/refreshrate=n      Refresh rate in Hz
/vsync=b            Enable/disable V-sync
/dxadapter=i        Use DirectX adapter at specified index
/dxbuffers=n        SwapChain buffer count (1-3, default: 3 with vsync on, 1 without)
[COLOR=Red]/dxframelatency=n   Maximum frame latency (1-3, default: 3)[/COLOR]
/aniso=n            Anisotropic filter (0-7, default: 7)
/shadows=n          Shadow quality (0-2, default: 1)
/shadowres=n        Shadow resolution (0-1, default: 0)
[COLOR=Red]/shadowcull=f       Shadow object cull factor (default: 1.0)
/shadowcullnear=f   Shadow object cull factor near (default: 1.0)
/shadowcullmiddle=f Shadow object cull factor middle (default: 1.0)
/shadowcullfar=f    Shadow object cull factor far (default: 1.0)[/COLOR]
/ssao=b             Enable/disable SSAO (default: disabled)
/hbao=b             Enable/disable HBAO method for SSAO (default: enabled)
/plspec=b           Enable/disable pointlight specular (default: disabled)
/posteffects=b      Enable/disable posteffects (default: enabled)
/lodfactor=n        Geometric detail (0-3, default: 0)
/decals=b           Enable/disable decals
/edgefade=b         Enable/disable edge fade effect
/filmgrain=b        Enable/disable film grain effect
/frameratecap=n     Lock framerate to the specified FPS
/fovfactor=f        FOV factor (default: 1.0)
[COLOR=Red]/inputsmoothing=f   Input smoothing (default: 1.0)[/COLOR]

Can you give us any indication as to how this game has sold on PC? Bonus points if you know the Steam vs retail sales figures. :smile:

Can you give us any indication as to how this game has sold on PC? Bonus points if you know the Steam vs retail sales figures. :smile:

I wish I knew, because I'm curious myself, but I haven't seen any actual figures at all. :cry:

BTW

I don't doubt your technical knowledge of the situation :smile: but triple buffering is clearly not enabled by default. FPS jumps from 75 to 37 to 25 with vsync enabled through the game options.

I revisited this, but my conclusion is the same as the last time I tested. Triple buffering has no effect on the framerate in this game. The framerate never locks to any fraction of the refreshrate.

*11 pages later*

A new patch is available on Steam now! :)

• Enable triple buffering when vsync is on.

Vindication! :D

I mean surely his boss must know

We're just making the game, not selling it. The publisher would know how many units they shipped, but they don't necessarily share any exact numbers with us. Various numbers have been emailed across the company, all derived from various public sources, like vgachartz, and in one instance some kind of investor presentation Square Enix IIRC. Unfortunately there haven't been any numbers for the PC showing up anywhere at all. All I know is that it stayed in the "Top sellers" column in Steam for a while, but that doesn't necessarily mean much more than "this game is new" since most units are sold the first weeks anyway.

*11 pages later*

Vindication! :D

Well, to be honest I still never saw the problem on my machine. My opinion is still that it should not be needed, but I suppose either some drivers or the runtime isn't always smart enough. A coworker was able to reproduce the behavior on his machine though and we found a bug that caused the triple buffering to get turned off even when it was initially enabled.

Ripped off? Do developers normally get a cut of the profits based on sales? I wouldn't think so.

Well, to be honest I still never saw the problem on my machine. My opinion is still that it should not be needed, but I suppose either some drivers or the runtime isn't always smart enough. A coworker was able to reproduce the behavior on his machine though and we found a bug that caused the triple buffering to get turned off even when it was initially enabled.

I tested and tested again on different drivers, settings, and could never get triple buffering to work by default. Strange. Maybe it was an NVIDIA thing?

D3DOverrider fixed it right up though, so I was never too worried about it.

Ripped off? Do developers normally get a cut of the profits based on sales? I wouldn't think so.

It would surely make business sense to give devs a cut of the profits. I'm surprised it doesn't work this way.

@malo i beleive its standard practice devs get royalties,

Jason West and Vince Zampella, the men at the centre of this week's drama at Call of Duty developers Infinity Ward, have filed suit against Activision over claims they are owed "substantial royalty payments".

Um weren't those 2 really considered the heads of IW, not "developers" per se? I'm sure they probably had some hands on but I thought they were also the original owners.

Back