Just Cause 2

Well, it was definitely the SSAO. I played with a few other graphics settings but it doesn't seem to be caused by interaction with any other effect, just SSAO.

The issue is instantly visible regardless of low/medium/high SSAO setting, and gone when SSAO is switched off.

Really weird. I guess since you've found the culprit, I don't have to go looking... Maybe I will take your earlier advice and enjoy my ignorant bliss :D

One thing I don't like is when you are at the right distance up in the air from the ground, the trees rotate as you move and it looks really weird. It must be when you are right at the lod distance, or something.

Classic speed-tree artefact. It shouldn't matter the distance you are from the tree. Just look up when you're underneath one and rotate your view. Oblivion used the same system. I think it's a good trade-off for the amount and quality of the foliage you can render.

Yeah, you're right, bigtabs. I just can't get over how bad it looks when it rotates like that.-

I'm with bigtabs, rotating trees are annoying. I know of a game released in 2007 that rendered just as much if not more high quality foliage that even reacted to movements and gunshots, all without rotating even a little bit. Only drawback was that AA didn't work on alpha test stuff in that game, but again, 2007.

And did that game get blasted by a vocal majority of gamers who thought it's graphics didn't warrant the epic tradeoff in performance?

Whether they were right or wrong, that sort of negative feedback helps make these sorts of decisions. You and I and the other members of B3D might care that our trees 'rotate', just like we acknowledged that Crysis was doing a lot of things that nobody else had done 'for real' and the performance was warranted.

But our knowledge of the issues doesn't transfer to the grand majority of gamers, and Crysis wasn't gonna play on an X360, PS3 and PC simultaneously on release. If this is the worst we have to pick apart on a title that hit all three platforms and still somehow has enough graphics punch to do ALL that it does, then I think we're getting a bit nit-picky.

Crysis sold well I thought. And why should devs care about a bunch of whiners who'd probably pirate the game anyway, and use excuses like "it doesn't run well on my rig" to justify it. When they're rocking a P4 + 7800GTX and playing on maximum settings.

JC2 is a great graphical package. And it has room for improvement, thankfully or there wouldn't be much point to Beyond3D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with bigtabs, rotating trees are annoying.

It wasn't me! I like speed-tree. The rotating bits are the only downside in my book, and it's only from certain angles that they don't work. Until a game requires you to look up into the tree foliage from underneath (Bird Nest Hunter?) I think it's a good solution.

I agree with bigtabs. I wish there was a better way to handle a huge amount of trees so we didn't get that rotating effect.

Classic speed-tree artefact. It shouldn't matter the distance you are from the tree. Just look up when you're underneath one and rotate your view. Oblivion used the same system. I think it's a good trade-off for the amount and quality of the foliage you can render.

We don't use speed-tree though, we have our own system. We had "rotating trees" in JC1, but early in JC2 development we didn't use them, but for performance reasons they were added back again.

Another graphical glitch, if you're using Eyefinity with bezel compensation then the 'digit boxes' that are supposed to show up when you're cracking a code or hijacking a vehicle are missing. Tried a couple of resolutions but it doesn't look like they're hidden by the bezels, rather they just don't seem to show period.

Yet another graphical glitch?

jc2bubbly.jpg

Does this make my bum look big?

jc2truformpurple.jpg

Another graphical glitch, if you're using Eyefinity with bezel compensation then the 'digit boxes' that are supposed to show up when you're cracking a code or hijacking a vehicle are missing. Tried a couple of resolutions but it doesn't look like they're hidden by the bezels, rather they just don't seem to show period.

Yeah, there's a known issue with those and Eyefinity. I believe someone's working on fixing that one.

Does this make my bum look big?

Nah, I think it's the grenade. :p

Cheers Humus, that'd be cool. Tho I just play w/o bezel compensation for now, it's not a real big issue fortunately.

:O You found the bubble gun?!?? I refuse to go looking for spoilers, so I've yet to find it. But one day... !!!

Back