Just Cause 2

Just returned from Tenerife where I spent the Easter with my girlfriend, or should I say fiancé, because we also got engaged there.
laola.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

laola.gif

Seriously good news mate! May your marriage bring you as great of happiness as mine brought me, it really is the best thing to ever happen to me and I hope yours is to you too.

Celebration, medals and promotions all around!

dance.gif

Always good to hear people being happy and in love. Congratulations!

A good Easter all round then. I've got two weeks off - which means instead of going to work I'm going to terrorize some people in my new ice cream van.

Humus, I would like a big favour
could you ask the guy who did the keybindings why he left out weapon pickup and the horn (I'd be really interested in hearing his explanation)
and then could you slap him....
That it was left out in the UI is one thing ... but how can you leave it out of the config? Carmack only showed how to do keybinding right over a decade ago ... it takes a lot of obstinacy to fuck something up so basic for which the proper implementation is both obvious and very little work. I can't believe anyone would go "well lets hard code keybinding for now and then we will start to slowly replace arbitrary keys with a rational binding mechanism as the game evolves ... that will really save us development time and not come back to bite us in the ass".

All of a sudden my game has gotten very difficult. I'm struggling to enjoy it any more as any little thing I do gets rewarded with heaps of bad guys. Maybe I just suck at the game, but it would be convenient if I could change the difficulty level to reflect that without restarting the whole thing.

I wonder why it's not possible to change the difficulty after the start of the game? Is it really more than just upping the number / damage / armour of enemies? What would break?

As it stands I'm waiting for a patch to address the issue - but will restart the game on noob mode at a later date if none is forthcoming.

I noticed something a bit similar, but it just means you have to re-adjust how you're doing things. As you continue to "piss off" the Panauan (sp?) government, they're going to react more strongly to oppress your actions. This means several things to me:

First, make sure you're upgrading your weapons. I found that dual-wielding the submachine guns means I can kill just about anyone with ammo that's readily available and cheap, especially after I've upgraded it to the third or fourth level (can't remember exactly.) I also have the full machine gun pimped out, but before that, I had the assault rifle at full pimpage and it make short work of most everyone that got in the way.

Second, as your maximum heat level continues to increase, you can't just stand in the center of town and mow down the baddies. The entire reason you have that grapple is to keep moving quickly, so do it! Run away for a minute, and then come back while they're looking the wrong direction. Steal a helicopter just long enough to crash it into a nest of baddies. WHen you get multiple helicopters on your butt, it's time to grapple + chute away, circle around and then come back.

Yeah, I do get how to do it - but it's quite a drastic shift in the feeling I get from playing the game. I used to be some sort of demigod, doing as I pleased wreaking havok on a beatiful paradise. This made me feel good and I enjoyed it. Now I want that feeling when I play the game because it's something I've learned to expect. I can't have it any more and I'm forced to play a different game.

I love my challenges. Love hard games and winning at them. That's not why I loved to play JC2. JC2 was never about a war of attrition on a bunch of enemies until now. I want my old JC2 back, but I do want to continue doing new missions and cool stuff.

I'm sure a lot of people love the new challenge, perhaps it keeps things fresh for them. I still want to feel like a near immortal James Bond, and not a lonely soldier with a good chance of death whenever he steps into enemy territory.

I guess when you can take about 1000 rounds from the three orbiting helicopters while killing eleven dudes on the ground before dying, that doesn't give you the sufficient demigod feeling? ;)

I get what you're saying, but...
As it stands I'm waiting for a patch to address the issue
... that quote is what threw me. This isn't something broken with the game. If you as a random secret agent went to an island that wasnt' expecting you, the first few weeks of your mayhem would probably go relatively uncontested. But once they've figured out that you and/or others are puposefully starting insurrection just because you can, don't expect them to be so easy on you ;)

I think you're mistaking the issue I'd like addressed, that of being able to alter the difficulty mid-game. I would think it fairly trivial - but it would be interesting to hear why it isn't, if that's not the case. I thought I alluded to that fairly well in my post.

Other than dynamically generated ones like Diablo, do any games allow you to change the difficulty mid-game?

Sure. Fear, Oblivion to name two which instantly pop into my head. There must be loads more considering the ease I just thought of those. Typically it's just a case of upping damage / armour / enemy numbers isn't it?

In a long-ass game like JC2 whose difficulty changes reasonably dramatically it should be a given, no?

Other than dynamically generated ones like Diablo, do any games allow you to change the difficulty mid-game?

Plenty, Red Faction 3 is a prime example specifically because it had similar problems with a huge difficulty ramp up like JC2 does and its honestly something that should be a standard feature imo. It can dramatically increase someone's enjoyment of a game and there's really no good excuse for leaving it out.

That it was left out in the UI is one thing ... but how can you leave it out of the config?

What config are you talking about? Our settings file? It's binary so it's not easily user editable anyway.

Typically it's just a case of upping damage / armour / enemy numbers isn't it?

On top of my head I don't think it would be problematic per se on a programming level (but on the other hand I haven't touched any related code so I wouldn't know what issues there could possibly be), but one reason to not have that option is that we have some achievements that are tied to game difficulty, and be able to change mid-game would open up a very easy way to cheat with those. Just play on easy and switch to extreme for the last mission.

Why on earth not use a simple text file though?

If the guy thought it was a good idea to hardcode the horn key and the weapon pickup key, do you really think he would have the common sense to store the keybinds in a plain text file ?

He is a muppet and so far Humus has been too cowardly to slap him.

Now no doubt this guy is in a junior position thats why he's only been put in charge of keyboard input (epic fail so far) but he could be promoted one day to doing a.i or something and the stupidness needs to be slapped out of him before that happens or we will have npc's trying to walk through walls or not knowing the difference between land and sea :D

Hello Humus, congrats for this awe engine. Really really fast and beauty.

I have some questions:

- I had problems with demo (SLI + CUDA), then I purchase the game and I see the same problems. Then I see a patch for demo that "solves problems with CUDA effects in SLI". When this patch arrives to full game? (problem is with SLI enabled, enhanced water don't work and bokeh filter results in black background).

- SSAO and HBAO work great in terms of performance, but sometimes (when moving across hundred meters) performance decrease for a second (only with SSAO or HBAO enabled). Seems that engine recalculate some hundred meters surface AO and then it has to recalculate new location. It's a SLI related problem? Do you solve this in future patch?

Thanks a lot.

Hello Humus, congrats for this awe engine. Really really fast and beauty.

I have some questions:

- I had problems with demo (SLI + CUDA), then I purchase the game and I see the same problems. Then I see a patch for demo that "solves problems with CUDA effects in SLI". When this patch arrives to full game? (problem is with SLI enabled, enhanced water don't work and bokeh filter results in black background).

- SSAO and HBAO work great in terms of performance, but sometimes (when moving across hundred meters) performance decrease for a second (only with SSAO or HBAO enabled). Seems that engine recalculate some hundred meters surface AO and then it has to recalculate new location. It's a SLI related problem? Do you solve this in future patch?

Thanks a lot.

Your second issues kinda sounds like the V-Sync problem many me included) have with the game. The easy way to fix it is to either disable v-sync or keep it enabled and force Triple-buffering with D3Doverider.

Back