Do you remember your first ever PC?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
(Not sure if this thread belongs here or in General; if a mod disagrees with me posting it here, feel free to punt it over... :))

I do remember mine. It was summer 1997, my - by now 10 years old! - Amiga 500 was just so waaay way past its prime it wasn't even funny, even though I had installed a CPU "accelerator" in it - a 14.4MHz 68000 with a bit of SRAM cache, which actually worked pretty damn good really; it actually gave an almost 100% speedup in many programs. I had also bestowed a 2MB "chipram" expander and a 'flicker fixer' on my humble Amiga, so I could get progressive scan video at 720*480ish (plus some overscan) on a Commodore original hires monitor (which was about as far from a TCO 97 compliant unit as you could possibly get; it attracted ENORMOUS amounts of dust!)

At the time I was still young, and a giant Amiga fanboy, absolutely convinced of the evils of the wickedness of Intel, Bill Gates and the unbalanced clunkyness of PC hardware in general, the evils of Windows (and its associated bloat), and so on. However, reality had been catching up with me faster and faster for the past couple years; Doom, Duke 3D and other increasingly complex games forced me to finally give up my old trusty workhorse.

So I - involuntarily - caved to the pressure, but I did so on my own terms. My first PC would not have an Intel CPU. Instead, AMD would be my knight in shining armor, my salvation so to speak. :D

I read up on the internet on what components I wanted - using Anandtech, HardOCP and other early sources to find out what I should pick. So the deal became:

* AMD K6 166MHz CPU (couldn't afford anything faster - it was probably about 40% cheaper than Intel's Pentium 166MHz at the time)
* ASUS TX97 PCI motherboard (one of the very first to support SDRAM DIMMs, 3-pin "smart" fanheaders, USB and UDMA ATA-33), featuring 512kb onboard page-mapped SRAM cache and up to 128MB of memory, but only caching the first 64MB though.
* 32MB SDRAM (16 was the norm at the time - I wanted to push the envelope a little.)
* Hercules Dynamite128 video card featuring the Tseng ET6000 video processor with 4MB MDRAM. It had no 3D support whatsoever, and its video acceleration was pretty much non-existant - much to my chagrin when the DVD revolution started. But initially it worked pretty well.
* Creative Soundblaster AWE64 PnP (it was shite, it really was.)
* Quantum Fireball ST 3.2GB HDD (first generation that supported UDMA-33!)
* Some CDROM unit which I can't recall; probably a noname brand.

All packaged in a then-typical PC-beige sharp-edged steel chassis with a PC-beige plastic front bezel, powered by some noname power supply. Well, they were all noname power supplies back then I guess! Nobody paid much attention to that particular component as I recall, not that it mattered very much back then, as the entire PC drew only about half the amount of power of a regular lightbulb, if that much even! I remember my first CPU in particular had a VERY small heatsink. It was only about 10mm high, made of extruded aluminium, with a small 40mm fan screwed on top.

It comfortably ran Duke3D in 640*480, but 800*600 was too much for it. There the framerate started sagging. I recall the motherboard still worked just fine at the time when I replaced it for a VIA Apollo MVP3-based board with an AGP slot and 2MB cache around 2000ish so I could get some decent 3D graphics going, and I actually tossed it out last year... A little sad perhaps, but I'd kept it around for so long stowed away in a closet, and it was SO obsolete anyway. Even more obsolete in a way than my now even older Amiga actually. I still have the video card by the way, it's lying on my kitchen table right now in fact. Still works too, to the best of my knowledge, unless the caps have dried out or something... My very first network add-in card still works in Windows 7 64-bit, which gave me a big lulz. It's gotta be over 10 years old now, so nobody better accuse Microsoft of not properly supporting hardware, haha!

Anyone else feeling somewhat nostalgic over old (PC) hardware? I know we get bitchy as soon as our PCs become older than three years or so and nothing recent runs very well on them, but it's cool methinks to think back and what things USED to be like around the dawn of personal computing. Others started gaming on PCs much earlier than I did, thankfully I wasn't a part of the 286/386 days with really crappy ISA video boards and just as crappy MFM/RLL HDDs etc; I held out until PC hardware had become at least somewhat decent.

Even so, when we today buy flash memory sticks that hold a THOUSAND times the amount of RAM computers had less than one and a half decades ago for a price that's so cheap that they could practically be tossed in for free in a packet of cornflakes your mind kinda boggles. People who were around back then remember how enormously expensive storage was compared to now. Not just RAM, but also HDDs were quite a bit more expensive than today. Right now you can pick up a 2TB drive for a very very low price, and that's the top of the line. Back then, a top of the line HDD could cost nearly half a month's salary, and in the late 80s it was the entire month's salary, lol!

And it hasn't even been that long....! My. How time flies.

Back in 1989, I think it was an 8086 (Turbo Button!) with an EGA card, I used to play Jill of the Jungle on it.

after that I had a 486DX with 32MB of RAM, and a SoundBlaster AWE32 sound card (which was awesome), with another 32MB of RAM in it, and a Cirrus Logic Video Card, I mostly used it for doom, syndicate, command and conquer, and Cakewalk sound studio

mine was a philips 8086 ibm clone
green screen monitor + 2 360k 5.25inch floppy drives
I did a 1000% more work on this pc than ive done on any other ive owned even though my current pc is several 1000 times faster.

then I bought a secondhand ibm ps2 model 55sx
386 @16mhz 2mb ram and it contained the first shrine to the Gods
The
"Most Holy 30mb of Gaming Goodness"

First technically would be an ELF II my brother built from a Heathkit, my first real one was a VIC-20...although I'd played around a lot on other people's Apple IIe. :)

Mine was an internal XT expansion thingie for an Atari ST, using a NECV20 CPU at 8 Mhz and featuring CGA graphics, so everything was cyan and magenta.

First proper PC box was a 386sx20 clone with weird SIPP memory modules and an AheadB VGA adapter with a beastly 1 MB of memory.

First computer? Or first IBM Personal Computer XT clone (hence where PC became ubiquitous with x86 computers)?

My first computer was an Apple ][ way back in 1979 or 1980? Somewhere around there.

My first PC was a 286 (I think it was a Hyundai or somesuch) clone in 1991. Bought for 1200 USD. Three months later it was selling for 800 USD in the same store. That was the last pre-built computer desktop I've ever purchased. Have been building computers ever since.

Remember the death of the math coprocessor (Intel killed the market by integrating it into all their CPUs), good thing the EU wasn't around then or Intel would have been sued I'd imagine for anti-competitive behavior. :p

Likewise all the little things like the introduction of CPU cache ram onto consumer level MBs and then that disappeared as Intel integrated that into the CPU. MFM HDDs, introduction of SCSI into the marketplace, IDE also. Remembered when the first CD-ROM was being discussed in tech magazines, and the stratospheric prices the first drives commanded.

DMA and IRQ conflicts, memory management, clean booting, advanced autoexec.bat and config.sys editing in DOS. Just to be able to run X program. Installing Win95 from floppy disks, (it used a LOT of floppies). The absolute nightmare that Win95 was for existing computers. Introduction of USB, and then wondering if X USB device would work or not work on your computer for the first year of it's life. Gah, I could go on an on.

PC's are about a million times easier to use now days thanks to Microsoft's never ending quest to make the OS easier to use and more transparent to your average person that hasn't got a clue how a computer works.

I remember being a Microsoft hater all the way up until the later half of 1999. I was a huge OS/2 proponent prior to that.

Regards,
SB

My first PC? A beige tower, back in 1994: 486DX @ 40 Mhz, 4MB ram, 250 MB hard disk, and a Turbo button. Lots of fond memories from that one:
  • learned a lot of programming: qbasic, pascal, x86 assembly, C, optimization
  • music: cubic player, scream tracker, fasttracker II
  • games: ultima underworld II, sam&max, dune II, simcity 2000, comanche, stunts 4d, DOOM - and learning how to set up the config.sys/autoexec.bat files with a 3-entry boot menu so that I could run all of those games.
  • overclocked the processor to 50 MHz. Also ran doublespace, giving me ~150 MB extra hard disk space.

AST branded machine
It had Intel 486DX2 66MHz, 8MB RAM and Cirrus Logic's 2MB gfx chip, but can't remember HDD size.
We bought at the same time Creative's Sound Blaster 16 CD package, which had SB16 sound card and 2x speed CD drive

QEMM was essential

It was an IBM in the early '90s. I remember being very disappointed with the internet speed it was veeeerrryy slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compared to the folks around here, mine was rather advanced. ;)

A Pentium 120MHz, 8 MB EDO RAM, 1 GB HDD, no cd rom, no soundcard, with a positively bulky 14" CRT, Win 95.

I was pretty spooked when I saw the "It's now safe to turn off your computer" message for the first time. ;)

1992: AMD 386DX40, 4 MB, 80 MB hdd, LogiTech wireless mouse (first of its kind, IIRC), Tseng ET4000 plus a NEC MultiSync 15" monitor for a meager 5000 deutschmarks. All long gone now. But I'm still using my first keyboard.

I was also an Amiga user for a long time. Had an a1200 with extra memory and a hacked 3.5" HD. (actually its still in my garage). I would have probably switched to PCs earlier if I had the money but since i was still in school my only source of income was donations from my parents :).

My first PC was a cyrix 200. I figured it was better than buying a pentium 133mhz for the same amount of money. I still have an old matrox mystique gfx card that i used when my gfx card died (2x r9700 and one r700). The rest of the components were the cheapest possible. For sound i used a zoltrix 3d sound card. Very cheap but it kinda worked. I dont remember how much RAM i had or which motherboard i used. I only remember my old 15" monitor which i think is still in my garage. Much better than 14" monitors that were standard at that time. Hell, i even had original windows :) win95 OSR2. I played a lot of civilization 2 on that machine.

Then i moved to the legendary celeron 300, and then to duron 900 which was eventually upgraded to a duron 1300 (still have it), then athlon 2500xp (yup..still have it aswell) and now im using a q6600 based machine. Its three years old and still everything works on it. Three years used to mean a lot in the old days and you couldnt play any new games on such an old machine. I guess progress has really slowed lately. As you can see im a cheap bastard and always buy CPUs that are great overclockers .

The first pc we got was a Tulip (like the flower :p) that my mom took from her work. No clue what is was but it had a black/green screen and all I could do with it was play a few floppy disk games.

It took untill '98 untill we finally got a decent pc. At the time the government was trying to stimulate people buying pc's so you got a big financial advantage if you bought a pc by your employee so my dad bought a pentium 2 350mhz, 32mb ram and a 8mb ati 3d rage pro. We even got a 17'' monitor, I believe that was above average at the time. Learned my basic skills on that thing. It was the only pc we got for like 6 or 7 years. I had tons of fights with my parents because at some point it was just so damn slow even browsing the internet became hard.

So after working my ass off the whole summer vacation I build my first own pc. I think that must already be more than 6 years ago. It had a amd 2500+, abit nf7-s and 1gb of ram (pretty neat at the time). I still remember emailing different webshops asking for the cpu stepping because ofcourse I wanted to buy as cheap as possible. It overclocked pretty well. I managed 2500mhz on air with it and it always runned as a 3200+ without any problems. My parents still use it as a replacement for their pentium 2 but somehow they managed to totally screw it up because everything is slow as hell.

After that I bought a a64. Dont remember which one, I think a 3400+. Wasnt the best experience I must say. This was also my first time that parts started dying on me. The cpu and the mainboard both died (partially my fault I must add, though I always got new parts for free with warranty). It also was the reason for signing up on this forum. At some point I bought a x800pro vivo (the one that was flashable to a XT model). It was 465 euro's at the time and my parents payed half of it because I graduated high school. Never had much fun with the card though. For some reason it performed like crap, even after formats etc. It was worse than the 9600xt (I had the second fastest 9600xt on 3dmark btw at the time) I had and when I send it back to Arsus they said there was nothing wrong with the card and that it worked. Yea it worked but just not very fast in games. They ended up giving me a new card but that took months so by the time I finally had a working card the price was already way lower and the new generation just around the corner. When I look back at it the whole a64 system cost me quite a bit of money but didnt gave me much fun.

After that I bought a quad 6600 (first intel system I bought). Still got it now. I bought it because Digi donated me his old x1600 card so I didnt have to buy a new gfx card and that way I had enough money to buy the q6600 (gave the a64 to my little brother). Last year digi's card died (well, the fan did) and I ended up buying a Radeon 4870. I'm happy with this system, pretty much does everything out there more than fast enough.

Also had 2 htpc systems. A old thunderbird I could buy really cheap from a friend. That ended up quite a hassle though, with chipset coolers falling off and all :p Wasnt exactly perfect so I ended up replacing that with a cheap, silent amd 4450e system. Still using that today and I love it. Maybe the best system I ever bought because it was really cheap (I think it was something like 250 for the mainboard, ram and cpu) and I never had any problems with it.

I remember when I built my first pc
bought a part every time I had saved up enough
I remember going to the shop and having enough money for a cyrix 686 120mhz or a pentium 75 and a case thankfully I was too impatient to have to wait a few more weeks to save up for a case and bought the p75 + case I genuinely thought the 686 was better (because of the 120mhz)
who said patience is a virtue

anyway after 9 months of living on £5 a week I put it together and it didnt work, I could of cried
turned out to be a wrong jumper setting

TRS-80 Level II (1.78 MHz Z-80), 16k, tape drive circa 1978-1980.
Upgraded a year or two later to a TRS-80 Model III (2.03 MHz Z-80) and self-installed 64k (strike that, it might have been 48k - can't remember) and a floppy drive (ooh ahh!).
Wrote a couple text adventure games on these things and played all the Scott Adams games on them.

A clone XT 8086 (with TURBO), CGA display and 20Mb hard drive.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I did have Commodore VIC-20 and Amstrad too, but somehow I just connect PC to IBM PC type machines instead.

In college I built a Z-80 computer on a breadboard with an o-scope for a display and dip switches for programming. Sooo dorky!

Back