The RV870 Story: AMD Showing up to the Fight

They would probably sell them for more though since the amount of people with a DP video card is a lot lower.

Actually except in the context of systems with built in screens (which are expensive anyway) the typical desktop/monitor bundle ought to end up cheaper as its competition which drives them, not just the novelty of having a thinner screen jacking up the price.

Actually except in the context of systems with built in screens (which are expensive anyway) the typical desktop/monitor bundle ought to end up cheaper as its competition which drives them, not just the novelty of having a thinner screen jacking up the price.

Well to be fair, until there's a lot of competition the first ones released probably will be highly priced. Just as the first 24" monitors and first 30" monitors were highly overpriced (Apple tax) until competition showed up.

Although direct drive monitors at least won't have to deal with the additional problem of low supply waiting for production to ramp up and mature as the above mentioned LCD panels did.

Regards,
SB

Not sure if I missed this bit in Anand's piece but did he mention how much (time) delay was responsible for the cutbacks in Cypress? For the NI refresh they could just build this hypothetical big-die Cypress on 32nm and be done with? That is assuming the rest of the ASIC scales linearly. If thats the case then we could be seeing tape-outs sooner (earliest tape out date available), shouldnt we since the chip is already done?

What 32nm process? GF canned theirs, TSMC canned theirs.....

On another note, NI is _NOT_ a refresh. If you are expecting R770++, you are going to be very surprised.

-Charlie

What 32nm process? GF canned theirs, TSMC canned theirs.....

On another note, NI is _NOT_ a refresh. If you are expecting R770++, you are going to be very surprised.

-Charlie
That is a typo on my behalf, I meant 28nm.

Hypothetical 480mm2 canned Cypress is about 250mm2 on 28nm.

Back