Metroid: Other M

2D does allow so much more precision and speed that a 3D FPS doesn't give you. I like some of the punching and kicking she does too. I figured someone like Samus wouldn't be bounty hunter without being able to fight without guns.

There's a new trailer on Joystiq, I don't know if it's the same as in Sfried's post, but the 'Stiq video showed quite a bit of gameplay including that you apparantly play the game ONLY with the remote, both like a NES pad, and turned to aim and shoot at the screen for the first-person perspective bits. Looks pretty rad and I think it could actually work, and be a lot of fun to play.

The general 'feel' of the game seems to connect back to good ol' Super Metroid. That's cool.

Not other M related, but there are have been the latest scans of The Last Story on certain websites. I think its definitely worth a look.

New off-screen footage from GameTrailers, and thus no direct audio feed (instead dubbed over by some wierd background music).
[gt]700734[/gt]
[gt]700732[/gt]
[gt]700730[/gt]

I like the 2D metroid better
2D Metroids were all directed by Yoshio Sakamoto.

Its a matter of liking (Metroid) Fusion or not. Honestly, (Metroid) Prime had just as many skeptics when it first debuted, and THAT one had a foreign team with no previous history working on it.

I remain optimistic for it, but perhaps thats because I enjoyed Fusion.

New trailer for Metroid: Other M showing the return of 2D Metroid staples such as speed boost and shinespark in 3D.
[gt]702846[/gt]
Transition effects are quite nice.

The prior trailer introduces the Galactic Federation 7th Platoon members (in Japanese). It also shows most of the gameplay elements presented in the latest trailer in the latter half.
[gt]702334[/gt]

Last edited by a moderator:
Gametrailer's preview:
[gt]702847[/gt]

Also an interactive trailer:
[gt]702796[/gt]

Last edited by a moderator:
That interactive trailer's really cool, but your link doesn't work. I saw it somewhere else.

WkCiz.jpg

This screen is freaking incredible.

More new snippets coutesy of GAF:
Biosphere:
Cryosphere:
Pyrosphere:

They did a good job making sure the cutscenes blend well with the actual gameplay. In many ways, it reminds me of what Blizzard did with Starcraft 2 (in terms of having consistent art direction throughout).

I hold the Metroid series above all others--even the Half Life and Zelda games--I mean I just adored it as a child. Then I remember when the first Prime game was on the verge of release and a lot of people freaking out, mainly because Samus was being "shoehorned" from 2D into the 3D, first-person shooter genre. This wasnt what Metroid was about! It wasnt about shooting! I admit I was one of those people. So I approached Prime 1 with extreme hesitation, and thankfully found it to be an incredibly fun game that maintaining the Metroid vibe. I was releived! The Prime series played out very well (despite the fact that Prime 2 was a degregation to the franchise) and it was an excellent pradigm shift in the telling of Samus adventures.

I played Other M for the first time at this years E3 and I walked away confused, and slightly curious about Samus past. Now Metroid Other M has been released. I've now played the game for about 3 hours and I've got to say--I'm on the fence. Part of me dislikes the reveal of Samus's past and character, and part of my enjoys the reveal. The mystery of Samus was always so much more compelling to me than the truth--at least I think so.

The thing that striked me unexpectantly when I first started playing Other M was Samus voice. I know a LOT of people dislike it, but I actually think it's totally applicable and fitting. It's certainly not Oscar worthy by any means, but I think it's very fitting for her character.

See I've always felt that the Metroid experience was one of adventure in solitude, with a dash of meloncholly and creepiness therein. Samus's voice--for the first time being heard--seems actually correct tonally to my ear. She's not happy. She's also not a screaming, raging beyotch who wants you to "suck it down". She's a strong, lonely woman who seems to be searching for herself in these abandoned, otherworldly caverns. Or perhaps she's trying to run away from something and space is the furthest away from something (or someone).

The gameplay is really hit and miss at this point. I really dislike being rooted to the ground when going in first-person mode, but I mostly enjoy the other forms of combat. I dislike the scanning but I enjoy the exploration. I dislike the automatic notifications of hidden items in the environment but I love being in that world.

I'm totally conflicted--and I'm absolutely sure that nostaligia has something to do with it--but I'll continue on to see how things pan out. Chin out, chest out...

So, for those playing, what's it like? Is it worth buying a Wii for?
It feels like Ninja Gaiden Metroid...Metroid Gaiden?

While obviously some people are going to lambast the cinematics/story, these come from the same people who hold Super Metroid in such high regard, to the point they expect the second coming of Super Metroid in 3D.

Other M feels more like Metroid Fusion in 3D with some nice Ninja Gaiden combat.

I never had any issue with the control being held side-ways. That said, there are some forced story element parts where you have to search in 1st person and look at a specific object or thing. Aside from those issues, most of the other controls are presented clear to you, and I do think the tutorial at the start was there for the reason of teaching whe whole context sensitive "sense moves" which are sessential for surviving.

The sense move is not like a quicktime event where the correct input would either determin success or fail. It's basically an automated dodging technic that's much quicker that simply moving out of the way. As an added bonus, doing this manuver also charges up your beam to maximum; the idea being that you dodge, blast, charge, blast consecutively, then do finishers to end the encounters swiftly. You can still defeat enemies the old fasion Metroid way (charge beam from a distance), but the damage dealt is much less comparatively. Overall, the enemies and bosses work around the idea of the player utilizing the sense move in combination with the other context sensitive attacks.

Back