Metroid: Other M

warcrow

Regular
image59h.jpg

Looks like the official site has gone live, and my anticipation & excitment levels have shot up: http://metroid.jp

My little take, at least so far is that I do adore the Metroid series, especially the Prime games, but feel it's time to move on. To what I not sure. I'm not necissarily saying I dont want a FPS (quite the contrary), but I do feel like its time to incorporate new elements into the series--a new direction.

I have hopes that this will be good for the series mainly because Yoshio Sakamoto, co-creator of Metroid series, is producer and lead scenario designer on it. But also working on the title (besides Team Ninja, who most of my concern center around depsite the fact that they're working on the programming and model work) are 3 designers from the Metroid GBA games--and they're handling the main design. Cool eh?

And then there is this:
Yosuke Hayashi responded by stating that while the new game will feature heavy action-based sequences, there will still be the exploration-based sequences characteristic of other Metroid games. Yoshio Sakamoto confirmed that Other M will feature story progression in the same manner as Metroid Fusion. Sakamoto states at the end that the collaboration between Nintendo and Team Ninja is "unlike anything that's ever been done at Nintendo; it's more than just a collaborative effort -- it's one group working toward a common goal".

I hope they really retain the Metroid-aspects in this. The first Metroid Prime game did an excellent job of capturing the notion of "Super Metroid in 3D" (subsequent MPs tried to cater to a more FPS crowd), and although this might be more like "Metroid Fusion in 3D", I have high-hopes since I liked MF despite it's rather "guided" approach (there's still lots of sequence breaking and even a special easter egg for those who do).

I loved Metroid Prime, because of its exploration aspect and simply fabulous mood. I didn't enjoy the sequels nearly as much, I never got past one of the minibosses in MP2 and MP3 was simply too action-heavy for me and didn't look nearly as good as the original game despite the (overly prominent) bloom crap they put on everything. Even with the Wii's vastly increased memory and higher general performace MP levels were simply much MUCH more detailed and better looking. I cleared at the very most 2% of that game I think, lol.

MP still reigns supreme from a mood, playstyle, difficulty, balance, visuals and 'feel' point of view... I do hope Other M don't go overboard on the action bits, it would make me a very sad panda.

I'm worried about Team Ninja's involvement in this game. While I absolutely LOVE Ninja Gaiden, I realize the games lost of core of what makes NG, NG. The original NG games were action platformers, and the modern ones are brawlers. Luckily, I love brawlers and can't get enough of them. I'm afraid Metroid would lose what makes it Metroid and turn into something else.

So far I have borderline *zero* interrest in this. It already has the earmarks of Team Ninja - everything appearing to be made of action-figure plastic, characters looking like they got kicked out of a bad Masami Obari anime. Frankly, I'm worried for it, and I feel giving the game to TN is a slap in the face.

So far I have borderline *zero* interrest in this. It already has the earmarks of Team Ninja - everything appearing to be made of action-figure plastic, characters looking like they got kicked out of a bad Masami Obari anime. Frankly, I'm worried for it, and I feel giving the game to TN is a slap in the face.
Well, if it assures you, (Tomo) Itagaki is not involved, and he is mainly sighted as the one responsible for the downfall of the DOA franchise's quality.

Also, I can't believe people won't even give this a chance compared to...Darksiders..ugh!

Put me in the "concerned" crowd. For one, I don't think Metroid is an IP that really needs frequent updates. It should be put on the shelf for a while. If Nintendo wants to do another galactic adventure sci-fi type game, it should create something new.

On top of that, the only thing I ever hear about is "story" and "cinematics." Sorry, story and cinematics are not what make a great game (even Metal Gear Solid would not be what it is if it weren't for how well-crafted the stealth action is). Metroid Prime is the best game in the series, and IMO one of the best games of the last generation, and it had very little in the way of cutscenes, narrative, etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Saw this "Xenoblade" a few days ago... And damn!! do I hope they're not going to try to tie this into the Xeno series. It was bad enough to chuck out all that was Xenogears as if it never happened.

On the previous topic, it is reassuring that Itagaki-san is out, but I knew that part. It's that Team Ninja was allowed to touch it at all that troubles me. Inticreates, or Fromsoft would make lightyears more sense to me. Hell, give it to Konami - They've been making Metroid games for years ;).

^^^^^^^^^^^
Saw this "Xenoblade" a few days ago... And damn!! do I hope they're not going to try to tie this into the Xeno series. It was bad enough to chuck out all that was Xenogears as if it never happened.

On the previous topic, it is reassuring that Itagaki-san is out, but I knew that part. It's that Team Ninja was allowed to touch it at all that troubles me. Inticreates, or Fromsoft would make lightyears more sense to me. Hell, give it to Konami - They've been making Metroid games for years ;).

Iwata already said it was named "Xeno" because Tetsuya Takahashi is involved, not (necessarily) because it has anything to do with Xenogears/saga. Also, it sounds better than "Monado".

I wouldn't be too worried over Team Ninja under the direction of Yoshio Sakamoto (2D Metroid dude), so there's something that should make purists give a sigh of relief especially after some felt "betrayed" by Metroid Prime.

I'm curious as to what's going on in The Last Story.

I wouldn't be too worried over Team Ninja under the direction of Yoshio Sakamoto (2D Metroid dude), so there's something that should make purists give a sigh of relief especially after some felt "betrayed" by Metroid Prime.

I'm curious as to what's going on in The Last Story.

Now *that's* more reassuring. Do believe I remember him from Metroid 2. Strangely though, I loved the Primes (still need to play 3, though). The Xeno info you popped has taken a bit of the edge off me, btw. I haven't been a happy camper with the Xeno knockoffs, honestly. Xeno represented a beautiful piece of work - watching it get rehashed, truncated, washed out, and finnished off 26,000 years ahead of schedule was incredibly depressing.

The Last Story & Xenoblade were just announced, but no one seems to take notice.

With a name like "Monado: Beginning of the World" I could suspect it of telling a story about the early years of human civilization on the planet Xenogears takes place on, Zeboim Culture and all. I'm a total Xenogears nut. Favorite story in any game, ever. I also really dig how much the actual 3D character models reflect the same artwork and look from Xenogears. Looks excellent, and I'll definitely play it if it comes stateside.

Now to go back on topic, I'm very interested to see how close to those preview shots, Metroid: Other M can get in the actual game. If they were realtime shots, it's highly impressive.

It turns out
Xenoblade isn't a follow up to Xenogears/saga but an entirely new game set atop the bodyof two dead gods

andriasang said:
"The world setting, story and other elements have no relation," explained Takahashi on connections to past Xeno games. "It's a completely new title."
Exploration of the world looks like it could be one of the game's charms. Takahashi said that he hopes players will simply walk around in search of special unexplored areas which have beautiful settings. You'll get experience for just finding these. Some areas include monsters that can't be defeated at first. Once you've powered your character up, you'll want to return to take on those beasts.

While most of this first interview was about Xenoblade's world setting, Takahashi also shared a few details on the Xenoblade battle system. Enemies in Xenoblade roam the fields alongside you. Encounter an enemy, and the game will transition seamlessly into battle. Takahashi explained that he didn't want make the game transition from field to battle in typical RPG style.

Since battles take place on the same fields across which you and the enemies roam, you'll find that nearby enemies will join in on the battle. As a strategy, you'll want to engage in battle in areas where there aren't any other enemies.
94361_xb_1_3_122_957lo.jpg

94369_xb_1_5_122_202lo.jpg

The Last Story & Xenoblade were just announced, but no one seems to take notice.
Why do people constantly to confuse Nintendo with third parties on the Wii? Nintendo isn't making Last Story or Xenoblade. Those are from Mistwalker and Monolith, respectively. You don't say "Sony is making another Metal Gear Solid game," so why do you say "Nintendo is making Xenoblade"?
sfried said:
Sakamoto's desire is to ruin Metroid with linear storytelling (and his weird stories are even dumber than Kojima's). There's a reason Fusion was not as popular as Prime. The real "2D Metroid dude" is Gunpei Yokoi, and he's dead. Being among the majority who loved Prime (Super Metroid wasn't a quarter of the success that Prime was, so I suspect that the supposed legions of 'betrayed' Metroid fans are vastly, vastly overreported--and besides, Fusion wasn't what they were looking for anyway), I'm worried, not encouraged by Sakamoto making this his baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, those distance shots look amazing in Xenoblade. They rival Shadow of the Colossus in scope, but look a hell of a lot better.

I forgot that about Monolith.

Those screens make me think two things:

Can love blossom on an abandoned space station?
Dark Samus lives on THROUGH THIS ARM!!!

They look more like The Ghostbusters to me. I see Egon and Winston in those screens with their proton packs blasting that purple ghost.

New gameplay footage found.
Doesn't look bad in motion. I guess people who didn't buy into Prime's first person gameplay will at least like this 2.5D setup.

A higher-quality version of the above video is available on the official website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back