Apple iPad announced

Aren't many of the most popular games still 2D games?

Maybe iPad will usher in more popular 3D games, actually push the hardware more.

The limitations in the iPhone OS's software environment, drivers/APIs, etc. prevent the potential of even the MBX Lite to be stressed, so impressive games like Nova are still leaving a lot of (conditional) capabilities un/under-utilized.

Very interesting. So the safe bet seems to be:
Cortex-A8@1GHz and SGX535@200-400MHz, unknown VXD and no VXE. And I would guess 512MB RAM.

Ah well, maybe next year's SoC will be more thrilling :rolleyes:

IMHO this would also mean no big SoC and RAM update in this years iPhone, just basically same SoC as last year @45nm, maybe clocked @700-800MHz).

Our company has more or less decided to go iPhone for their company phones. I also noticed during my business trip to Norway that it has become very popular there as well as a business phone, and two IT managers I spoke noted that while they have a free programme hosted by a third party where their users can choose their preferred phone from blackberry, iPhone, HTC Android and a Windows Mobile device, the iPhone is the most popular one yet has the least issues. Worst case they need a firmware reinstall. They also tested the remote management tools and killed an iPhone remotely to simulate theft scenarios, and within 3 seconds the phone was completely wiped and unusable, so they were satisfied with that too. :LOL:

Apple is definitely doing something right. In our case, we might have gotten Blackberries, but we're in a situation where a Blackberry Enterprise Server is not an option (mother company doesn't support it, and they host our Exchange). Without it, blackberries lose a LOT of their charm.

I've been playing around with the iPad dimensions, creating a cardboard cutout of the proper size to get an idea. It's smaller than you'd think. Pixel density should be ok for that resolution, but I definitely see space for a device twice as big as well. But it should be a good size. Should be interesting to play with the 3.2 SDK again now, as it should come with the iPad emulator.

I was hoping the ipad would be like this http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet

Dual screen is great as it allows folding for better portability.

Oh well. I can wait. The ipad seems to be verison .1 . Hopefully the ipad version 1 comes soon. A camera for video calls would have made this a decent purchase. But as with apple I'm sure we will see that in ipod shuffle. Cause the shuffle needs a camera not the ipad

No American 3G network at least can support good quality 3G video streaming, so it would have to be video chats on Wifi.

That's the thing, people want fanciful features like 1080p video capture and so forth but mobile networks can't support that.

Supposedly all the other tablet manufacturers are reacting to iPad, especially the starting price. Like it or not, it appears to be the benchmark. Apple supposedly tipped that they're open to being "nimble" on pricing so it sounds like they're ready to push it as a high-volume product.

The form factor will either be a hit -- you have to hold it all the time -- or people will prefer the clamshell. If a tablet doesn't sell well, what will it do to SOC development? Without a high-volume, large-screen product, will there be a need to push the performance envelope?

I don't need 1080p video. 480p is just fine even mabye a little less.

I can already do 720p just fine on sprint with my laptop.

People want 1080P support because recoding is a waste of time.

Not recoding is a waste of space and bandwidth. Apple's consumers will mostly buy content from iTunes, and the difference will make a big deal for Apple and most consumers will find it more pleasant to have smaller filesizes and shorter download times for the iPad.

For the rest, we'll either have to recode or take our business elsewhere. There's not as much money to be made from this rest though, I'll wager.

Well the only 1080p content is Blu-Ray. Do mobile devices support the codecs used in BR, especially at those high bit rates?

You're probably going to have to transcode.

Well, 1080p content that a broad audience would want to watch. ;)

What kind of bitrates can DSLR-captured video produce?

Obviously there are Blu-Ray rips out there, which have already been transcoded, but often to codecs which Apple doesn't support.

I've been playing around with the iPad dimensions, creating a cardboard cutout of the proper size to get an idea. It's smaller than you'd think. Pixel density should be ok for that resolution, but I definitely see space for a device twice as big as well. But it should be a good size. Should be interesting to play with the 3.2 SDK again now, as it should come with the iPad emulator.
That seems like a defensible and good idea, but it cracked me up that someone would carry a cut out piece of cardboard to pretend they had some apple device.

Well, 1080p content that a broad audience would want to watch. ;)

What kind of bitrates can DSLR-captured video produce?

Obviously there are Blu-Ray rips out there, which have already been transcoded, but often to codecs which Apple doesn't support.

48Mbit/sec is done by the Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 1D Mark IV and the Canon EOS 5D Mark II is 42Mbit/sec (hopefully upped to 48Mbit/sec once the long-awaited firmware is released).

I suspect the newest Canon EOS 550D is also delivering 48Mbit/sec as it is based on the same image processor Digic IV as in the 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark II and 7D.

Well the 7D has two DIGIC 4s.

Those are H.264 streams or after you edit, it may be recompressed and transcoded if necessary to a codec supported by iPad?

I was hoping the ipad would be like this http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet

Dual screen is great as it allows folding for better portability.

It also requires a completely different interface design. The Courier videos on youtube show this pretty well.

But Apple already had the iPhone OS to capitalize on, with all its applications and general user familiarity. It's just such a logical move to implement it in a larger device.
And it would definitely not work on such a two-part screen.

Back