Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

That's what the whole line about the master key was about. If they can't update it and find a way from getting it dumped again without a hardware update in the end all they could do was delay the inevitable.

They will most likely make it impossible to update to a custom firmware without using a modchip or manually writing to the flash chip. I can't see what else they they will be able to do.

They will most likely make it impossible to update to a custom firmware without using a modchip or manually writing to the flash chip. I can't see what else they they will be able to do.

FO team talked about this but after that GH published root key. Is it still possible?

And its here.....Geohot get's homebrew working on PS3 3.55! ''omg omg omg omg"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLSXsCKDkg&feature

"He achieves this by first enabling the Install PKG feature with Lv2diag.self. He then signs his own (NPDRM) SELF file and packaging it into a retail PKG (with no signature). He then patches a file on the flash (NAS Plugin) so that it ignores the PKG's signature. The patch allows the homebrew to install, which then can be run from the XMB."

"Note this does not allow piracy, but it does allow homebrew on 3.55."

Last edited by a moderator:
CFW 3.55 is already out and doing exactly the same, by KaKaRoTo.
It only adds install pkg to xmb, for homebrew only - but it will have to be signed homebrew. Not that difficult though.

modified xml = CFW? more like mfw. None has signed a .pkg untill now.. patching nas_plugin.sprx.. it's more than a modified xml. With this it changes everything. Getting npdrm signed. The difference is "allowing .pkg files to run on firmware 3.55''

Last edited by a moderator:
If the keys are available for signing, why the need for custom firmware? Why can't there be apps that run directly on official firmware?

If the keys are available for signing, why the need for custom firmware? Why can't there be apps that run directly on official firmware?
I think that it's because you can't install apps from the USB unless you modify the firmware. Firmware updates can be run from an USB storage.

I would imagine it's more about not facilitating or making pirating easier, not that it's actively blocking the ability to run pirated material.

Regards,
SB

Custom firmware is still needed as there needs to be someway to install your software or app. Official firmwares allow only Disc and PSN.
You can get a Blu-ray burner for less than 100$ nowadays for your PC. And PS3 reads DVD discs as well (DVD movies and PS2 games at least).

You can get a Blu-ray burner for less than 100$ nowadays for your PC. And PS3 reads DVD discs as well (DVD movies and PS2 games at least).

It's quite possible that the official firmware does not read PS3 applications from a burned Blu-ray disc nor a DVD.

I noticed he gave the MAC address of his slim away with that video.

I'm not sure what that is supposed to demonstrate? He got some software to run off a USB stick that displayed a tear drop thing. Nothing was installed or had he just used the CFW that's been floating around?

Actually it is that simple.
It's sadly not that simple. There's two distinct signatures required for the two steps to getting homebrew on the PS3: a. package installation, b. app execution. The latter was known, but not possible because the tools to do it weren't properly working. The former was unknown until today. Working tools to do both were released only today so now signed homebrew is starting to crop up.

It sounds like the generated signed packages are perceived to be valid only due to the modification though. *shrug*

As for how this does not facilitate piracy:
Traditionally the method of PS3 jailbreaking involved a payload delivered via usb that injected code into lv2. This allowed (including the installation of falsely signed packages - homebrew) the usage of system calls that re-mounted directories. This functionality was used almost exclusively for playing backups (pirated software, obviously).

The modifications Geohot made do not touch lv2, and therefore do not provide the necessary syscalls for very specific reasons:
a. doing so would mean modifying lv2. Modifying lv2 = a bricked console. Absolutely bricked, unless you have a NOR flasher.
b. the syscalls are basically irrelevant to homebrew itself.

guy named flukes1 is working on a cfw to permanently patch the LV2 to enable isolaoders etc. Think he said it should be out soon. Wish everything can stay homebrew only but at the end of the day, most ppl only care about pirated games.:devilish:

Back