Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

Well... one could try to secure a one-time payment. I supposed the tricky part is once you give someone the master key, they may not pay up. And if they need to give you a large payment, they need to be sure it's the real master key. You know, like those mafia movies. :p

Ha ha, may be not just one person. ^_^

Who knows about the master key ? If he/she/them be missing, then Sony Ninjas may have already been dispatched since the first JB leak.

Or the person with the master key is the Sony ninja... easiest way to find the PSJailbreak people. :devilish:

Friend, you obviously watch more espionage movies than me. So you win.

You should watch more then, I haven't seen that many. :) I think, anyway... Ronin, Sneakers... bunch of Bond films... hmm...

I do wonder what they mean by firmware master key. The key that allows them to decrypt the firmware package (probably not a big deal), a key for the new debug mode (assuming there is one), or the system root key? If it's the system root key, then it's either a fake one being used for bait, or there's some legendary corporate espionage going around.

Or, most likely, just another empty rumor. After delivering the initial jailbreak, that team has been promising much and delivering very little.

You should watch more then, I haven't seen that many. :) I think, anyway... Ronin, Sneakers... bunch of Bond films... hmm...

I do wonder what they mean by firmware master key. The key that allows them to decrypt the firmware package (probably not a big deal), a key for the new debug mode (assuming there is one), or the system root key? If it's the system root key, then it's either a fake one being used for bait, or there's some legendary corporate espionage going around.

Or, most likely, just another empty rumor. After delivering the initial jailbreak, that team has been promising much and delivering very little.

If the PS3 root key leaked it would be bad, but Sony can reflash it with a firmware update locking out unhacked consoles.

Still I highly doubt the root key has leaked.

Edit: Looking at the above it makes it even more unlikely...

Well, looks like games that require 3.42 (Medal of Honor, John Daly's Golf) can be made to run on hacked 3.41 systems (for real this time!). Just takes changing the required firmware version and copying an eboot from another game (either UFC or Castlevania, I assume those are 3.41); frankly, I'm surprised it took this long if that's all it took.

I'm also assuming 3.42 was just a simple stopgap measure to plug the hole the hack was taking advantage of, and that 3.50 actually has some simple piracy checks. It's pretty clear Sony didn't update keys as many were assuming.

Well, looks like games that require 3.42 (Medal of Honor, John Daly's Golf) can be made to run on hacked 3.41 systems (for real this time!). Just takes changing the required firmware version and copying an eboot from another game (either UFC or Castlevania, I assume those are 3.41); frankly, I'm surprised it took this long if that's all it took.

I'm also assuming 3.42 was just a simple stopgap measure to plug the hole the hack was taking advantage of, and that 3.50 actually has some simple piracy checks. It's pretty clear Sony didn't update keys as many were assuming.

Well not really:

So why does this work? Well when there is a game patch/update installed, the PS3 completely ignores the original EBOOT.BIN and instead utilizes the one from the game update. So the UFC 2010 EBOOT is completely ignored. Technically you should be able to replace the MOH EBOOT.BIN with any other game’s EBOOT.BIN. You’re not stuck with just having to use UFC 2010′s EBOOT.BIN.

It appears the Medal of Honor patch/update EBOOT.BIN is encrypted with keys that are still on 3.41. Therefore, the game becomes runnable on 3.41.

So it's working on MOH because the the launch day patch was still encoded in 3.41, and it took alot of hassle to get that.

Well not really:

So it's working on MOH because the the launch day patch was still encoded in 3.41, and it took alot of hassle to get that.

Hehe, oops. Some other 3.42 games were reported to be working also, I wonder if they had updates already too. Oh well, it's largely academic anyway, since there's probably not going to be any more 3.42 games released, and it's too late for these anyway.

Just as long as GT5 patches are all 3.50 and up...

Sounds like a stupid mistake first of all Sony should of blocked any update from updating that is built with an older SDK then the game itself was or the last accepted update was. Second of all why would a developer even do that?

I think that is because 3.42 support isn't actually baked in, it's more an afterthought. It also adds credence to the delay for GT5 being longer because they need proper support for a firmware > 3.41 otherwise it will probably use the same leaked encryption.

Obviously a launch day patch enforcing 3.50 was not an option because of this which is probably why Sony delayed it.

Hmmm just saw this on Neogaf, apparently PS3 jailbreak team has announced firmware downgrader that works on any firmware. As they say
Thanks to PS Downgrade, PS Jailbreak is now available for all 44 million users.

http://psgroove.com/?p=2326

Though apparently right now they are charging high prices and enforcing limitations trying to cash in.

Hmmm just saw this on Neogaf, apparently PS3 jailbreak team has announced firmware downgrader that works on any firmware. As they say

http://psgroove.com/?p=2326

Though apparently right now they are charging high prices and enforcing limitations trying to cash in.

In that video, FW 3.41 is on at 8:00 AM,but FW 3.50 is on at 8:05 AM, not to mention that hackers weren't able to access service mode on 3.50, which makes the video even more suspect. Assuming it's real, there's still the problem of playing games that require 3.50.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far every game "requiring" 3.50 has been busted easily including black ops. Of course, there's GT5 as probably the first game compiled with 3.50, but the way things are going I wouldn't expect it to hold out either.

If you look back at this thread a lot of people have been calling "fake" at every stage, and keep getting proved wrong.

Sure, but if you can downgrade freely, you can always upgrade to play the latest games, and downgrade when you want to run Linux.

Don't know if the limitation is artificial or not, but that's not currently possible. Considering they charge for the downgrade, I'm guessing they haven't figured out how to do it more than once.

It’s interesting to note, that the downgrade can only be used once. Our source explained “1 time downgrade, cannot downgrade more then once, or to a lower firmware after you choose which firmware”

Back