Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

Ouch, so basically any accessory made for PS3 prior to 2009 by a third party can be disabled at a moments notice by Sony?

The official license program exists before that announcement. So the relationship should extend earlier than that.

Money grubbing does not mean requiring license (In MS's case, consumers probably felt that they were overcharged). You can be open and still require certification and licensing. Many standards bodies do that. Reputable companies that sell devices for other platforms can still make common products for PS3 based on open standards.

It'd be best effort usually. My Dynex USB keyboard is for Windows. It has a Windows meta key but no Playstation key. Still works with PS3 3.50.

The ban is not about that, it's about counterfeit controllers. So if you bought a SQNY Dualshock (High quality Chinese) for $10 and it stopped working your are SOL.

The general rule is that if it works in Win7 without requiring a third party driver to be installed then it should work on the PS3. There are exceptions of course...

Ok, anyone that has ever bought something for their consoles, that wasn´t original would be either stupid or very uninformed if they expected it to be "risk" free. One thing is the usual bad quality another is that anything that hasn´t been green lighted from the manufacturs is clearly a risk. It could be a Memcard in the old days, a controller, whatever. Sony is sending a message now, someone decided to hack the PS3 with a USB device, so now we validate everything. Blame someone, blame the hackers, Sony is only defending themselves.

/golfclap to Geohot, you really made a difference.

Ok, anyone that has ever bought something for their consoles, that wasn´t original would be either stupid or very uninformed if they expected it to be "risk" free. One thing is the usual bad quality another is that anything that hasn´t been green lighted from the manufacturs is clearly a risk. It could be a Memcard in the old days, a controller, whatever. Sony is sending a message now, someone decided to hack the PS3 with a USB device, so now we validate everything. Blame someone, blame the hackers, Sony is only defending themselves.

/golfclap to Geohot, you really made a difference.

If it actually stops the hacking I'd be surprised

Is the hacking still going on?

I haven't updated my console as all the games I own are pre 3.5 so I'm not sure but I'm sure there will be hacking still going on for a long time to come. Lots of used fast systems in the pipeline witholder firmwares

I haven't updated my console as all the games I own are pre 3.5 so I'm not sure but I'm sure there will be hacking still going on for a long time to come. Lots of used fast systems in the pipeline witholder firmwares

Still, the hack has been deprecated like the RSX hack from a few years ago.

Still, the hack has been deprecated like the RSX hack from a few years ago.

I'm not sure what it matters. Like i said there are plenty of non updated firmwares out there that even if this is the firmware that breaks the hacking there are more than enough for someone who wants to hack to get a pre 3.5 system. Even the new systems in the pipe line are pre 3.5 right now so I can go buy a brand new move bundle today and hack my ps3 if i was inclined.

If this doesn't stop the hack then there will only be more systems in the wild that allow it .

If it actually stops the hacking I'd be surprised

I think it´s an extra layer of protection that was added just to make it harder to mess around with the USB stuff in the new firmwares.

Fun stuff, apparently the jail broken PS3´s are very exposed to bricking, so don´t be surprised when homebrew software suddenly becomes homebricking software.

We encountered a counterfeit controller yesterday; had been using it for a year without knowing. Basically to play FIFA we needed three controllers and one was playing up. With a bag of two other dead controllers (I dunno what my mate does to them!) we built a Frankenstein controller. But in opening up this DualShock, it's innards were completely wrong. And then examing the case, I noticed it was labelled sixaxis instead of Dual Shock 3, and the label was from Canada. So it looks like someone got a job-lot of sixaxis cases and stuffed them with controller gubbins to work. We never noticed any problem in play, other than it played up but the official controllers had been to, hence their grizzly disection.

3.50 didn't actually deactivate it though. So sony' plan hasn't worked, firslty. And secondly it's hard to recognise a counterfeit controller. If people deliberately bought fakes to get them cheap, then it's their own fault. Bought if they've sort to buy a proper Sony controller and just been conned, it's damned mean to break their controller, especially if there's no explanation. I presume no dialogue appears saying, "Sorry, but it turns out this controller is a counterfeit. Please contact your supplier," to inform users what the problem is.

I think it´s an extra layer of protection that was added just to make it harder to mess around with the USB stuff in the new firmwares.

Fun stuff, apparently the jail broken PS3´s are very exposed to bricking, so don´t be surprised when homebrew software suddenly becomes homebricking software.

There's already a fake PSP emulator doing that. Not much different from people willing to run $RANDOM_WINDOWS_EXE downloaded from a shoddy site.

I wonder how many PS3s that are out in the wild are still on 3.41?

I looked at a torrent site and the PS3 game that was downloaded most was RDR and it had about 1k downloads, compared to X360 which had 13k downloads, divided on 4 different releases. The PS3 RDR seemed to have only one release.

If we look at a game that was released after the jailbreak, I believe F1 2010 is one such title.

PS 3 : No release
X360 : Two releases @ 890 downloads

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011:

PS 3 : Two releases @ 845
X360 : No release

And not sure about jailbreak vs release date for NHL 11K but the numbers are

PS 3 : One release @ 457 downloads
X360 : Two releases @ 2680 downloads

I guess this is the wrong thread, feel free to move.

Back