Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

If anyone was still doubting whether or not minis ran on a special vm, or it was just a PSP emulator for the PS3, looks like it's the latter. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltJ0KOvz7Q

Hopefully Sony can convince publishers to make it official (or publishers can convince Sony it's worth the hit to PSP hardware sales in the West), since that's one hell of a killer app. My PSP is an older one that doesn't have TV output, but there's a ton of great games that I'd love to play on my TV, especially with a good controller. Sad thing is it's not much more expensive to get a PS3 with older firmware vs. a PSP Go.

I mentioned it on another forum, but it's becoming clear that one of Sony's bigger problems with this hack is going to be dealing with fans uncovering all the features Sony's been sitting on for whatever reason.

I mentioned it on another forum, but it's becoming clear that one of Sony's bigger problems with this hack is going to be dealing with fans uncovering all the features Sony's been sitting on for whatever reason.

It makes perfect business sense to manage the app store(PSN store) tightly. PSN store would become even less usable clutter where nothing can be found if sony just put everything in there.

That said and with the new findings it would make perfect sense for sony to relaunch some of the psp1 games once psp2 hits the streets. Some new magnificent psp2 games and chance to replay psp1 "classics" on both psp2 and ps3. That would optimize profit and marketing bucks as well as giving a running start for new platform that most likely is not going to have That Many Games on the beginning :)

It makes perfect business sense to manage the app store(PSN store) tightly. PSN store would become even less usable clutter where nothing can be found if sony just put everything in there.

PSP games are already on the PSN store (and yes, it makes some sections a bit of a mess). All Sony would have to do is let the PS3 launch PSP games instead of just copy them to a PSP. Granted, there's a number of political issues to work out, but on the whole, I think it'd be a net positive. But for the most part, the features are things that wouldn't wind up on the PSN store; for example, remote play is just a setting in a game's config file. I'm surprised universal custom soundtracks haven't been unlocked already. :)

So we can install the linux bootloader on any hacked PS3 now, just not actually boot into it or reformat the drive. Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing someone getting linux running on the Slim just to see how much effort it'd really take to make it work.

PSP games are already on the PSN store (and yes, it makes some sections a bit of a mess).

Imagine how much more of a mess it would be if All the psp games were there(and maybe ps1 and ps2 games too). Sony needs to manage the store in a way where there is enough high quality content and regular updates to it. More content isn't always better... Sony also needs to publish content in a way that creates them money and lumping everything in one go to psn store isn't the way to optimize profits.I would still bet something happens on psp2 launch in digital distribution of old and new games.

Apple is doing something similar where they have started to limit the amount of similar apps.

edit. Sony also needs to release these classics in a way that doesn't interfere with sales of new titles...

Aye corumba! Full PSP emulation?! Perhaps that was the intention but it's a big hit-and-miss buggy, so they limit it to Mini's that have a known engine? They should definitely work on getting full PSP titles up though, as I'm sure there are games that'd sell. LocoRoco, Patapon, Valkyria Chronicles, are just a few that come to mind that would be worth it to some people who don't have PSP's.

And that's going OT! On topic, what has this guy had to do to enable PSP titles? Is it just a matter of ripping the PSP titles? If so, why'd it take a week's 24/7 work? If he had to do more, what was it? Hidden function calls in the OS?

read it on gaf, they mention some forums say its a fake, the guy in the video is a well known fraud on Russian websites.

read it on gaf, they mention some forums say its a fake, the guy in the video is a well known fraud on Russian websites.

Yeah, I just saw that. Sorry folks, it was an unusually good fake, if nothing else. The current assumption is he edited a PS3 game's title info to match Chinatown wars, then replaced the intro with gameplay video from the game.

Still holding out hope for info on even buggy PSP emulation.

Yeah, I just saw that. Sorry folks, it was an unusually good fake, if nothing else. The current assumption is he edited a PS3 game's title info to match Chinatown wars, then replaced the intro with gameplay video from the game.

Some homebrew started showing up already, nothing you couldn't do with OtherOS, though. There's a port of a SNES emulator and a non-working Dreamcast one.

So grab an editor IBM's Cell SDK and start porting the PSP emulator. Or are you waiting for someone else to do it for you? ;)

Some homebrew started showing up already, nothing you couldn't do with OtherOS, though. There's a port of a SNES emulator and a non-working Dreamcast one.

So grab an editor IBM's Cell SDK and start porting the PSP emulator. Or are you waiting for someone else to do it for you? ;)

I believe the snes emulator will do most of the consoles now. They just haven't named it anything

The current Mini is only useful for Minis as they come with a separate SDK from regular PSP development. Minis are very simple to emulate as they have very tight restrictions and developers can't code the limit like they can with regular PSP development.

If I had time between work and school to port an emulator, it'd be the Saturn one, I still think that one's doable on a Cell with the right SPE support framework. And last I checked, the open-source PSP emulator was a Java one that's miserably slow on even the fastest systems.

The Dreamcast emulator wouldn't have been possible in OtherOS, it really would need either RSX support with decent drivers or another four years for the Cell-accelerated OpenGL to become usable.

The current Mini is only useful for Minis as they come with a separate SDK from regular PSP development. Minis are very simple to emulate as they have very tight restrictions and developers can't code the limit like they can with regular PSP development.

Yeah, I'd heard about the limit when the Minis were first introduced, but I was hoping the emulator might progress more in a year. :) Oh well, I still say it'd be really nice to have full PSP emulation on the PS3.

The work around to get online works again for some reason... I'm using 3.42 and I forgot to set my DNS to automatic, so I don't have to update but still can get online. I regret updating now :(

That's rather strange as SCEE staff behind the minis programme and indeed several minis developers have told me they use the exact same SDK and debug tools.

That's rather strange as SCEE staff behind the minis programme and indeed several minis developers have told me they use the exact same SDK and debug tools.

Obviously the software is the same, it wouldn't make sense to produce a whole new SDK, what I meant was that licencing the SDK for Minis gives you a very different product as there are a number of restrictions and lock outs in place as it costs less than half the price of the full unrestricted PSP SDK. Also there are other limitations, your product has to be small, low cost etc...

They just killed some unlicensed adapters and controllers. It's not big deal and is getting blown way out of proportion. Just watch out for cheap Chinese knock offs and you'll be fine.

They just killed some unlicensed adapters and controllers. It's not big deal and is getting blown way out of proportion. Just watch out for cheap Chinese knock offs and you'll be fine.

That's easy to say for you. Try explaining that to this fellow:

Sam Taylor on the Playstation Forums said:
Hi, I am outraged by the 3.50 update, it has ruined my arcade stick. I rang the Playstation 3 helpline, they said there is no way to reverse the update. I HAVE to use a 3rd party arcade stick as I have a disability. I can't use the standard PS3 controller because of lack of control in my hands, Sony has taken away my form of entertainment. I will go to the world press if necessary. Sony will not get away with this. It is within my human right to be able to use the Playstation 3 like anyone else.

Sam Taylor

Back