Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

If I remember correctly, the proxy or DNS workaround for PSN didn't stop working right after a firmware update. At the time, it just seemed Sony did something on their server side to nullify them.

Well if people from all over the world starts to connect from the same ip address, its easy to block access coming from that ip address.

The existing USB exploit suggests a pretty encyclopedic knowledge of the hardware.

I wonder what the requirments would be to come up with a hack like he did. If it was a windows exploit, what would it take to find it and actually be able to use. I am thinking in terms of tools (software on the target platform) documentation and what kind of access to the OS software is needed.

Maybe Sony used an already known piece of software for handling the USB since the OS is based on some kind of unix distro?

I wonder what the requirments would be to come up with a hack like he did. If it was a windows exploit, what would it take to find it and actually be able to use. I am thinking in terms of tools (software on the target platform) documentation and what kind of access to the OS software is needed.

Maybe Sony used an already known piece of software for handling the USB since the OS is based on some kind of unix distro?

I've heard, but have no proof, that there is some vxworks in there. And I heard it from somebody that licensed some software to Wind River and they said that this might now show up in the PS3. Ie my friends code would be put into vxworks and if Wind River customers wanted to, they could compile in the module etc and have it available in their systems.

I have known this guy for 10 years, so I have no reason to think he would make it up, but I can not vouch for his source on this.

The requirements should be orders of magnitude higher. With the PS3 you basically have a fairly well locked down system with a CPU that further enhances the security of the system. And a relatively simple OS with relatively few lines of code.

With Windows you have an inherently insecure hardware platform upon which you are attempting to run a massively large secure OS with billions of lines of code. Add to that, you have to allow access to 3rd party programs which can potentially open massive holes in whatever security you have in place. Programs, BTW, which don't have to be screened by MS as they are on consoles.

Regards,
SB

Yap, you can play your own media remotely today. Licensed ones cannot be delivered via RemotePlay unfortunately.

EDIT: Ok, you can also play YouTube remotely. The web browser is Remote Play friendly. DVD, PSN videos and Blu-ray are not.

I was playing some PS1 games with remote play the other day, but the latency was a serious problem. Didn't help the fact that I was playing a rhythm game, haha.
Still it was quite cool.

You see... if we have a way to stream 3D Blu-ray movies to a portable player, then we don't have to wear glasses to watch them. ^_^

[size=-2]Need a hacked 3D player. There is an open source RemotePlay project: http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2009/05/15/open-remote-play-orp-v11-and-source-released-mac-windows/[/size]

I would think the problem with a psp and 3D bluray movies isthat the psp is limited to 11Mbps over its wireless b conneciton and thats the maximum connection.

I was playing some PS1 games with remote play the other day, but the latency was a serious problem. Didn't help the fact that I was playing a rhythm game, haha.
Still it was quite cool.
We can play PS1 games via remote play??

I would think the problem with a psp and 3D bluray movies isthat the psp is limited to 11Mbps over its wireless b conneciton and thats the maximum connection.

It's not a technical problem. Lower bit-rate DVD and streamed PSN videos can't play remotely on PSP also.

Twitter posts indicate that old firmware versions has the flaw as well..

I always assumed that to be the case. The thing is that the payload is firmware version specific so you need to create it specifically for the fw you are targeting.

Back