Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

Doesn't matter to Sony really whether they rule it illegal or not as long as they can keep it out of most peoples hands till it is patched. Because let's be honest here most of these things travel by word of mouth. The less people that know about it before the upgrade the fixes it the better for Sony. Plus the injunction gives Sony the right to confiscate them which gives Sony a way to get it's hands on a few for analysis.

you can downgrade firmware I believe and people are already trading the older firmware.

You'll have to support that as I surely haven't heard talk of that and a quick google shows a thing that worked on 1.60 but nothing working on later upgrades.

Eastman just cause Sony can fix it doesn't mean the consumer can. This is why they bug test the crap out of firmware before it's released usually.

Plus what is more likely is they just have you reflash the bios via usb stick of a new version which is sony signed.

Eastman just cause Sony can fix it doesn't mean the consumer can. This is why they bug test the crap out of firmware before it's released usually.

Plus what is more likely is they just have you reflash the bios via usb stick of a new version which is sony signed.

Sounds expensive and many people would most likely complain alot of thier system is bricked and they have to wait for an update. I know i'd be yelling bloody murder if my system was down and they had no way to fix it until they had a new firmware.

But i guess we will see what happens in the comming weeks.

http://twitter.com/PS3Key

there is allways this

so whats sony do if they send up a fubar'd firmware ? say oh wait for a fixed one ?
Yes, and then brace for a class action lawsuit. Or you can just read reports on the net and don't upgrade your firmware if people are reporting their systems bricked after the update.

Sounds expensive and many people would most likely complain alot of thier system is bricked and they have to wait for an update. I know i'd be yelling bloody murder if my system was down and they had no way to fix it until they had a new firmware.

It's worse than that, firmware 2.40 was bugged and caused some systems to stop working. A fix was released in 2.41 but that just removed the flaw so systems that newly updated wouldn't be affected. Already patched and malfunctioning systems couldn't be fixed with a firmware update and they were basically bricked.

Don't know if that could be fixed at the factory with their jigstick or whatever, but the PS3 owners affected definitely lost their data and access to a system for a few weeks.

It looks like some kind of update is incoming:

PS Jailbreak Update

The PS Jailbreak Team has confirmed, exclusively to PSX-SCENE, that they will be launching a new Backup Manager (version 1.1) soon with new features & tweaks.

They would also like to clarify that the launch delay was not caused by a parts shortage as originally reported. They are finishing their retail packaging and finalizing the new software.

With the recent injunction in Australia, they have decided to stand behind their dealers and distributors with financial support. They have made a sizable donation to both OzMods and Quantronics to help support the cause!

With the recent injunction in Australia, they have decided to stand behind their dealers and distributors with financial support. They have made a sizable donation to both OzMods and Quantronics to help support the cause!

seems like how sony was trying to quietly sweep this under the rug may end up exploding in their faces with financial support they'll have enough money to muscle their way into courts and this thing could get way more publicity.

Sony doesn't care about the publicity as long as it's after they have a fix though. The mod chip makers can win and parade in the streets for they care if it's a month 6 months or a year after the hole is already gone. This really isn't about banning sale though Sony would like that they still will be sold through channels in China and such. It's all about keeping it from getting out and getting big word of mouth sales before they fix it.

Wouldn't that require licensing from MS?

I'd think acquiring the proper licenses would be the least of the jigkick creator's worries. :) There are open-source implementations of NTFS (well, one that I know of), but it requires FUSE support present in the linux kernel, something GameOS is likely to be missing. I don't know how people expect to implement a new file system without access to the low-level reads and writes necessary. Maybe if the PS3 SDK comes with source for the OS? ;)

As if Sony's lawyers weren't enough, they want to take on MS's at the same time??

is it something that ms would want a piece of ? They wouldn't get much money from winning a case and if they did win it would shut down the only legitimete hack to the ps3. Which will help sony alot more than wining a ntfs liscensing case would help MS.

This opens up the ps3 to piracy and with ntfs support it they will be able to keep and store iso's of the images instead of having to store each file seperatly. With piracy Sony's game sales will surely slip even if it is 1%.

Coming up with a stable NTFS driver is well beyond the time budget (and probably skills) of whoever wrote the shellcode this exploit uses. If they use GPLd code they will have to release the code for the whole thing or face the ire of the FOSS community.

They could try to implement the FUSE API and hook it into the system, then use the FUSE version. Not likely, though.

Big companies tend to stick together in these cases Eastmen It's not so much about who it helps now but setting a precedent. If Microsoft doesn't help now when NTFS is used what's to say a judge won't look at it later in another case and say it was okay then so it's okay now. Plus Microsoft is thinking if I scratch your back you'll scratch mine. Ie if they need Sony's help for something in the future be it another piracy case or something like trying to lower the blu-ray license cost they are more likely to get help if they stood up in this case.

Back