Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

I have a female Home avatar in my office PS3, but I don't accept gifting and invitations from Home (muahahaha)

"Patsy"?

Interesting info JardeL. So after all Geohots exploit is part of the 'solution'.

Who is this Mathieulh?
Well known / recpected PSP hacker , according to Google. :smile:

I was about to post " I wonder if Geohot is involved in this " just after Mathieulh's " Well it looks like psjailbreak is likely based on reverse and exploit rather than on a leak, we still wont be sure without one though. " tweet. :]

Now I wonder what Geohot thinks about these but it seems both of his twitter account and blog are protected.

The psjailbreak guys definitely used Geohot's exploit

I suspect what he means is they're using something Geohot developed with the help of his exploit, namely the decryption app (metldr, iirc) that's been rumored to be floating around. Without it, debug mode couldn't run retail games. I don't see how they could be glitching memory through the USB port (or i2c).

Ok, that sounds a lot less harmful compared to his original exploit. Didn't know he did more stuff during his time.

It would coincide with Mathieulh's note that Sony can fix this.

I suspect what he means is they're using something Geohot developed with the help of his exploit, namely the decryption app (metldr, iirc) that's been rumored to be floating around. Without it, debug mode couldn't run retail games. I don't see how they could be glitching memory through the USB port (or i2c).

Maybe he doesn´t need that for the Debug mode. This is clever work.. i can´t get it to run unsigned code.. so i decrypt the games instead, and don´t have to worry about the consoles defenses..

Like the germans that ignored the Maginot Line :)

A console that run´s unsigned code does open up for homebrew?

Was already reported, but those with a 2nd PS3 can look "forward" to playing all previous PS3 games for free.

Yes, but those "previous" games:
1. Are already available for cheap to buy new or used anyway
2. Some of them don't work at all
3. No trophies if you're not online

Yes, but those "previous" games:
1. Are already available for cheap to buy new or used anyway
2. Some of them don't work at all
3. No trophies if you're not online

Considering the price being free, i doubt that many will care about those 3 things. However, if you can transfer a saved game to another PS3 i guess you get the achievements?

Considering the price being free, i doubt that many will care about those 3 things. However, if you can transfer a saved game to another PS3 i guess you get the achievements?
For most great games which are larger than 4GB, it's not free to get them. Unless you can borrow the BD disc from your friends and install it. However, since your friends will lend you those BD games which are larger than 4GB, why do you need to buy a PSJB? Therefore even you buy a PSJB, you just have a lot old "free" games which is smaller than 4GB, but losing the right to access PSN pernamently.

For most great games which are larger than 4GB..etc

I've really not taken much interest in this, so I may be wrong, but if you are talking about a 4GB barrier, I'd guess it's more to do with the max file size for FAT. In that case, the games can be larger than 4GB, but no single file within that game data can exceed that size.

So, for example (this is not real life, just some made up numbers) if there is an Audio file in the Uncharted game code that is 6GB, then that couldn't be read from an external drive attached to the PS3. However, if there was 6GB of audio but it was split into 3 files, 2GB for music, 1GB for ambient and 3GB for voice, then that game could be read fine. So even if Uncharted 2 is 22GB in size overall, as long as no single file exceeds 4GB then it could be downloaded, copied onto an external HD and read/played by the PS3 just fine (assuming this USB dongle-thing works)

For most great games which are larger than 4GB, it's not free to get them. Unless you can borrow the BD disc from your friends and install it. However, since your friends will lend you those BD games which are larger than 4GB, why do you need to buy a PSJB? Therefore even you buy a PSJB, you just have a lot old "free" games which is smaller than 4GB, but losing the right to access PSN pernamently.
I dunno the internals, but why shouldnt it be possible to transfer the game to the internal HDD by some sort of "Homebrew" (using the SDK). Restrictions like this never stopped pirates for long, just split the iso or maybe use UDF on external HDD/DVD-R/BD-R which has no 4GB file limitation (the PS3 supports UDF nicely, atleast with DVD-R which I tested).
Its like concluding that no Games >200MB can be spread via Rapidshare because thats their limits on single files

You'd need to load the saves on the online PS3 to unlock them, which requires having the actual game disc.

Also, how many PS3 exclusives are there, that are single player? There's the Uncharted games, Killzone 2, God of War games, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, MLB The Show games, Metal Gear Solid 4, Modnation Racers, Heavy Rain, and that's about it. They're all around half price or less budget games nowadays, not to mention their single player components can be finished in a day or two, so renting/borrowing would be fine.

All the multiplatforms you can easily pirate on the PC or 360, and they'd look better, especially in the PC case, so I don't think the modchip would be worth much, as long as Sony can prevent you from playing their new release exclusives with a firmware update. As long as you can't get trophies or play online, why bother paying so much for the PS3 jailbreak to pirate a few exclusives, might as well pirate them on the 360 or PC. You can get a modded/banned 360 for the $150 price and start playing right away.

An obvious fact that people have missed. Dont many games use Blu-Ray aswell as harddisk streaming?. Without the Blu-Ray wouldnt this lead to some pretty major performance issues at the very least?.

That's a very good point and perhaps related to the games that don't run? Are drives virtualised in the PS3? If not, and games can specifically identify drives, then any forced check for content on the BRD disc would kill this hack dead.

Also, how many PS3 exclusives are there, that are single player? There's the Uncharted games, Killzone 2, God of War games, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, MLB The Show games, Metal Gear Solid 4, Modnation Racers, Heavy Rain, and that's about it

You just counted 13 games [including GoW collection, inF2 i LBP2]. And I can add Ratchet games, Heavenly Sword, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Demon's Souls, MotorStorm games, Ninja Gaiden Sigma & sequel, Yakuza games, White Knight Chronicles, and maybe few more...

If this bunch of games is not capable to lure an armada of pirates, then... i dont know what is.

You'd need to load the saves on the online PS3 to unlock them, which requires having the actual game disc.

Also, how many PS3 exclusives are there, that are single player? There's the Uncharted games, Killzone 2, God of War games, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, MLB The Show games, Metal Gear Solid 4, Modnation Racers, Heavy Rain, and that's about it. They're all around half price or less budget games nowadays, not to mention their single player components can be finished in a day or two, so renting/borrowing would be fine.

All the multiplatforms you can easily pirate on the PC or 360, and they'd look better, especially in the PC case, so I don't think the modchip would be worth much, as long as Sony can prevent you from playing their new release exclusives with a firmware update. As long as you can't get trophies or play online, why bother paying so much for the PS3 jailbreak to pirate a few exclusives, might as well pirate them on the 360 or PC. You can get a modded/banned 360 for the $150 price and start playing right away.

I rarely play online with my PS3 and i never gave a f*** about achievements , i cant believe i am the only guy that feels that way.

You just counted 13 games [including GoW collection, inF2 i LBP2]. And I can add Ratchet games, Heavenly Sword, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Demon's Souls, MotorStorm games, Ninja Gaiden Sigma & sequel, Yakuza games, White Knight Chronicles, and maybe few more...

If this bunch of games is not capable to lure an armada of pirates, then... i dont know what is.

1. The assumption was that new releases (inf2, lbp2) would not work with the jailbreak stick.
2. Is it really worth buying a new "offline" PS3 + $130 jailbreak stick for those games? They can all be found for around $30 or in some cases less, and games like GOW, UC2, and KZ2 can be rented and beaten in a weekend if you're not interested in multiplayer. You'll also get all the trophies proper. Instead of a second PS3 and the jailbreak stick, I'd much rather get a 360 or a PC if I was interested in pirating games. I'm sure at least the 360 route would be a lot more cost effective.

Back