Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

It isn't. You are running illegal code stolen from them no less that circumvents their protections. Sony has the right to basically do whatever they want to you at that point. However they will likely opt for banning rather then anything serious to prevent major backlash and possible legal loopholes coming back upon them.

I'm rethinking this now. If you read through this discussion, someone's reporting the actual package contents is a PIC microcontroller. The specs of this device give it only 32kb of program storage! It clearly doesn't contain any firmware! I don't know how likely it is that is holds any modules that could be injected - I don't know what these module sizes are, but I find it highliy implausible there's much that'd fit into 32kb!

Some are suggesting all this jig does is turn the PS3 into debug mode, and that'll boot any programs. But grandmaster informs us debug PS3's won't run signed code, so they can't run legitimate released games.

Thus we only have a couple of real bits of info.

1) There's not enough storage on the USB to contain much data
2) It puts a PS3 into debug mode, which cannot run signed code
3) It requires a legitimate BRD game to be in the drive

Debug mode enables the running of unsigned code, which enables their homebrew app Manager which has to be copied from an external storage device. This hack really is just a debug mode enabler, a clone of Sony's official jig, and probably nothing else. Manager then does the work, it seems, and somehow it has to turn ripped games into appearing as unsigned code so the debug PS3 runs it, or change the debug PS3 so it'll run signed games. The presence of the legitimate signed game in the drive to me suggests that the security check is performed there giving priority, and then the ripped game is launched. But that doesn't explain some games not working which hints at code changes.

So all in all, I don't know what's going on!

However, if there's no Sony code on the USB (does a security handshake really count?), it's not a copyright infringement. There's an application that enables security circumvention, which is a 'proper' hack, the copyright of which lies with PSJailbreak (presumably). Ironically copycat systems using their same software could be considered copyright theft of the pirates code!

On GAF somebody said that it will you on your friends list as running the Backup Manager whenever you're running a backed up game. That to me tells me that it's easily tracked who's running the hack and Sony will be able to ban whoever is dumb enough to use it while online. BTW, if you unplug the device your system acts and looks no different before you plugged it in.

Tommy McClain

Shifty is that the only chip on the whole usb sick though? It could be that that chip handles the security handshake and another chip on it actually injects the code afterward.

However, if there's no Sony code on the USB (does a security handshake really count?)

Any data on it counts as far as copyright goes. I think even keys can be claimed as proprietary.

If it is just enabling a mode already on the system, it makes blocking it pretty trivial I guess. Just remove the debug stuff in the next update, or change the mechanism expected on the fw side to boot it or add extra network based protections that would catch unintended access or...

As for the backup manager, it's not actually on the stick - they're distributing that on their site. So clones wouldn't have to carry it.

Well if it is only a 32kb stick (i.e. no software injection just a stolen/hacked key) then a very easy fix would be to remove debug mode entirely from all retail units. Not sure why it is there in the first place. I know debug units are just retail units with special firmware, but surely SCE can come up with a way of differentiating the two through hardware and eat the extra costs on running a slightly different production line.

Also if this is as easily detectable as it seems then Sony can ban any consoles using this very easily. I don't think they will brick them, but they will ban them from PSN secondary users be damned...

Well it looks like sony's first response has been pretty swift. One of the guys messing around with it got a 30 day ban from PSN. Now only If I could find a link to the post rather then just a quote from no source on gaf.

You say that like you have done that before patsu. But appears so still no source link that I can find though so it could just be rumors at this point.

Pestering female gamers in PS Home ? I report them sometimes if they go overboard, and you see some of them crying for their innocence in the PS Home forum.

I have a female Home avatar in my office PS3, but I don't accept gifting and invitations from Home (muahahaha)

I've never actually opened home all I use is life for folding on occasion.

And of not god the hacking seen sucks at linking to what they are talking about. I tried googling it getting tons of articles but all he said she said with no sources.

# This is a very clever hack which allows code to run a high privileges on the system. Updating would be a real shame. 4 minutes ago via web

# You should know by the way that this CAN (and most likely will) be updated by Sony. Avoid updating to 3.42+ at ALL COSTS. 5 minutes ago via web

# The psjailbreak guys definitely used Geohot's exploit, without him it wouldn't have been possible in the first place. 8 minutes ago via web

# Actually we don't have any dongles yet but we pretty much believe we know what psjailbreak did and it was a smart way to exploit the console 8 minutes ago via web
[ http://twitter.com/Mathieulh ].

Hmm... so to continue and improve where Geohot left off (have the ability to patch the system function tables in the running memory consistently), they turn the retail unit into a debug unit so that the Cell security wouldn't shut down the system ? That may still require the challenge and response mechanism, so they are not necessarily off the "illegal IP" hook.

He also mentioned that this can be updated by Sony. So they are sure it can be prevented ? *If* the Cell security kernel in the SPU is still running, it can wreck havoc when Sony updates the way to identify a legit system ? Geohot couldn't get around that layer before he left. But he did end up helping the pirates afterall.

[size=-2]May be that's why he exited the scene.[/size]

Back