Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

There are also laws where buying and selling is legal but using isn't, like speed-camera detectors are (or were?) in the UK. That's doesn't seem to matter here though as the legal aspect is copyright infringement, in which case it's illegal to sell, distribute, and own, and everyone involved can be done.

Apparently the first clones are appearing at an astonishing rate. So prices are going to steadily drop soon.

How can you be so.... cheeky devil? I mean, they've got a cheek! It seems that there is a whole salad bowl of opportunities that cloners could just flip through...

I don't see much future for this dongle when Sony reacts. It has a couple of advantages though. :smile: Sony could let it work flawlessly changing some parameters -just making sure the original disc is in the Blu-ray drive-, since copying data to the HDD is great to protect the lens. Sooner or later all lenses begin to fail.

SIDE_TOP.jpg

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.p...-to-buy-the-original-for-support-and-warranty

By the makers own admission, the PSJailbreak has already been 'cloned'. Upon their website (which is now partially accessible), there is a message which states the following (been there since the start, although not many have been able to see)- "Beware of imitators and chinese knock-offs, PS Jailbreak is the original solution, Buy original for warranty and support". Upon analysis of the text, the clearly wouldn't let people know there are 'knock-offs' in existance if there weren't. Although, from their later plea to buy the 'original for warranty and support', this suggests that the knock-offs do actually work otherwise they would say they don't. This whole device has been a bit of a 'mystery' and perhaps it is all over mainland China right now. Check the image to the left inside to see the full 'warning'.

On a related note, another website has reported (a couple of days ago) that clones are set to brace the market as early as next week, here's what psx-scene stated "We've heard from numerous sources that their PS Jailbreak clones will be hitting as early as next week."

If true, this highly raises the possibility of the code becoming public domain and the hack essentially becoming as free as custom firmwares of the past. Time will tell.

There are also laws where buying and selling is legal but using isn't, like speed-camera detectors are (or were?) in the UK. That's doesn't seem to matter here though as the legal aspect is copyright infringement, in which case it's illegal to sell, distribute, and own, and everyone involved can be done.
Shifty, electronics are a relatively young thing so those laws are in a grey area most of the time, and extremely limited as to the infringements they affect to. It's like a battle between developers and users. If you think piracy countermeasures are awesome you might be wrong, as it doesn't look like it's going to end any time soon. Pirates find design flaws and developers learn, probably creating another potential flaw but I am not a developer so I can't suggest a solution.

Some people who use pirated games, buy the games they like the most at times. In this sense is like trying a demo, so there're a very few good things about piracy. Not much, but there are nonetheless. Homebrew multimedia is also an advantage that add functionality to your console.

Well, in fact... Anti-piracy isn't everything, goodness knows it's not users fight. I for one have other things in my life to care for, and developers are the ones who have to fight back, not users like me, so I actually don't mind much as they will find the solution.

If you think a game is really awesome to play and you enjoy playing it so much, a pirate might stay on for a while paying your system -let's say PS3- and see where it goes. Perhaps they will become a legal user some day. You might get a loyal user out of it at least, or at least someone who download PSN games.

Maybe Sony could see the glass half full rather than half empty. :smile: A piracy enabled console will have a steep increase in hardware sales during the next months. If you don't like having pirates playing your system though even as someone you would really, really want to sell more and more hardware, then they have to take different measures.

I don't think it's worth the trouble and inner turmoil. It's not like Sony is the last company alive.

Yes, their security system is the most robust and advanced ever, and practically not hackable, although while that's right it might have flaws, and there are solutions to fix the most vulnerable sides of it.

Even so, I don't see how their actual security system got hacked, but this is well beyond my understanding as a regular user.

I have two friends, at least, who use pirated software (they told me using the mic) in my Xbox live friends list and I won't be the one scolding them for such actions. They are my e-friends after all. There are basically 3 people in my friends list I know in real life and love.

I don't know if this is a leak or not, If so, I can think of a tip for software technicians and engineers; :p :eek: I would only let some workmates, friends and very close family in if I've swept the things they are going to see in the system with my eyes and don't see anything private laying out. Other people or strangers though? Hell, no

Simple as that. With very close family or some staff I think it would be okay to let them see more, it's not like they are going to leak anything -a key, code, etc- after all. :smile:

Shifty, electronics are a relatively young thing so those laws are in a grey area most of the time, and extremely limited as to the infringements they affect to...
Some people who use pirated games, buy the games they like the most at times. In this sense is like trying a demo, so there're a very few good things about piracy...
This isn't a discussion on the moralitiy and pros/cons of the hack. Irrespective of all that, the letter of the law regarding copyright means if they are using Sony's code without Sony's permission, this device can be pulled on account of being copyright infringement just as a ripped DVD or illegal copy of Windows could. That's very different to jailbreaks where hackers are writing their own software to circumvent securities and open up a platform, like iPhone.

This isn't a discussion on the moralitiy and pros/cons of the hack. Irrespective of all that, the letter of the law regarding copyright means if they are using Sony's code without Sony's permission, this device can be pulled on account of being copyright infringement just as a ripped DVD or illegal copy of Windows could. That's very different to jailbreaks where hackers are writing their own software to circumvent securities and open up a platform, like iPhone.
Interesting.... I didn't see if from that point of view. However they don't have the dongle patented, afaik, and I've heard people are also using typical USB pendrives to make it work, not an exact copy of Sony's system. I'm not sure about this.

What's this? The pirates and hackers don't want pirates stealing all their hard owned work? Poetic justice, me boys!
xDDD poetic justice.... The expression made me laugh. You seem to be a highly sensuous person yourself, your words might incite romance, geek. :smile: :eek: :oops: Such poetical words -I kid I kid-.

The seal of approval is so kick ass. I really wonder how they did come up with this, come on.... It's an absurd image if they copied Sony's system flagrantly. Time will tell, I am sure.

To add to the Technological discussion: "The PSP has a special connection with the PS3 no other device has (allowing us to see games/savedata on the PSP). If we change the bytes sent during this special connection with the bytes of the dongle (only on a homebrew enabled PSP of course), then the PSJailbreak process could be initiated from the psp?"

What's this? The pirates and hackers don't want pirates stealing all their hard owned work? Poetic justice, me boys! You do the work, someone else steals it and gets the benefit- the same standard illegal game sharing operates by.

Not really, they're just trying to maximize their profits while they can by downplaying the competition. Standard business tactic.

It should be similar to running unlicensed software/hardware. If it's illegal to do that in your country, then it would be illegal to use PSJailbreak.

"The exact chip for the psjailbreak dongle has been identified, looks like dumping it will be easy."
http://twitter.com/Mathieulh/status/21833139023

Yes, I suspect this was how they cracked it originally. After they found the original JigCard, they went around to shop for the manufacturer who made it.

If they had identified the challenge and response algorithm, it depends on whether the PS3 side can be changed to reset the seed/key. These kind of systems need to be sync'ed on both sides and a good system should be timestamped and has a large seed/key space.

To add to the Technological discussion: "The PSP has a special connection with the PS3 no other device has (allowing us to see games/savedata on the PSP). If we change the bytes sent during this special connection with the bytes of the dongle (only on a homebrew enabled PSP of course), then the PSJailbreak process could be initiated from the psp?"

May be possible to make an iPad to do the same (Write an alternate XMB on iPad) ? It's just software. That's more useful to both us and Sony. :p [size=-2]... but still illegal.[/size]

Cloning without understanding how to change it is useless. Not so great for the "first" pirates if it makes it not worthwhile to support. Unfortunate for the first guy since his customer list is probably full of cloners to get his/her update.

EDIT: He made a mistake if he wants a long term play. Should have priced it low (if it's a commodity) to own the market. That's why I thought his intention was short term initially (e.g., Sony fixing it, or need to run coz it's illegal).

If it's cheap enough and doesn't damage the PS3, a lot of people will try it regardless, not necessarily for piracy.

The price is high exactly because it's a short term opportunity. Be first to the market and cream it in as much as possible before the clones arrives and before Sony responds. Build cost in volume on this thing can't be more than $10.

If it's short term only, who's left to support this thing ? It'd be illegal for the homebrew people to take over this time. May not be covered under fair use if unlicensed knowhow is used.

It's all in Sony's court how they intend to run this. They "ignored" the PSP. Will be interesting to see how they react here.

EDIT: I am not sure if this incident is sustainable, but I think subsequent attacks will be "stronger" based on knowledge learnt in previous cases.

PSJailbreak - The Sad Truth

While hackers usually had to work very hard to succeed in the videogame scene, now all seems to become a business of corruption and audacity.

A short timeline of the PSJailbreak. How it may have started, succeeded and may go on.

http://streetskaterfu.blogspot.com/2010/08/psjailbreak-sad-truth.html

FUTURE

Part 6: SONY may update the PS3's bootcode to prevent loading the stick. They also could log the "backup manager"'s game ID (LAUN-12345) when people go online. So they could identify who actually uses the illegal JIG clone and ban the affected consoles. This would be an illegal step aswell, but hey; it's SONY.

I'm not sure where this regulation violation talk is coming from. It's nice in theory n' all but no one outside of Sony is going to give a shit that the PS3 is hacked. The crack will be duplicated by many enttites and readily available like it is for any hacked game console before it.

The only goal for Sony here is to understand the hack and see what they can do to fix it. Legal efforts are money and time wasted. If they can't prevent it, they should find a way to block those consoles from using services such as PSN. That's about the extent of what they can do.

Just a quick question: if the boot process can't be changed, would revoking the key used to sign the firmware on the stick do the trick, in terms of blocking this? (Assuming firmware is signed (!) and that there is a whitelist/blacklist for valid keys)

edit - oh and another one: from the sounds of it, things like custom firmware would be beyond the scope of this? you can run unsigned code within this firmware, within the context of the gameos that boots off this stick, but to run your own firmware would require signing something I presume... it sounds like they're just working within a black box that was handed to them via this repair stick, one they can't actually control or modify).

FUTURE

Part 6: SONY may update the PS3's bootcode to prevent loading the stick. They also could log the "backup manager"'s game ID (LAUN-12345) when people go online. So they could identify who actually uses the illegal JIG clone and ban the affected consoles. This would be an illegal step aswell, but hey; it's SONY.

How would that be illegal? MS does it once a year.

Back