Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

For what it's worth, I emailed Geoff to ask him if Sony is cutting off all linux cell development at this point and he basically said he can't comment.

This combined with IBM cancelling the next Gen cell blades and it looks like Cell is as good as dead.

Nite_Hawk

Oh give it a rest. Sony was looking for an excuse. Back when it was released they wanted the PS3 classified as a computer for tax evasion purposes.
No they didn't. Those tax laws were changed, and PS3 as a computer gains no advantage over a console. Linux was there to cultivate a community of Cell developers, but Cell has kinda fizzled out and Sony are throwing in the towel.

No they didn't. Those tax laws were changed, and PS3 as a computer gains no advantage over a console. Linux was there to cultivate a community of Cell developers, but Cell has kinda fizzled out and Sony are throwing in the towel.

I hadn't realized that the import taxes on game consoles had been changed in 2004 making the issue irrelevant. I saw that the final ruling on the PS2 didn't happen until 2006 so assumed Sony was continuing to fight for it at that point:

http://m.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/20/ps2_not_a_pc/

At the same time Ken Kutaragi was still claiming that the PS3 was a computer and not a gaming console:

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/08/2115235

Regardless, I think my point still stands. Ken was the one with the dream of having the PS3 be a home media computer. He probably got away with it because the PS2 was doing so well and he had so much power in the company (not to mention that up until 2004 those taxes were still in effect and there was a legitimate business reason to plan on promoting the PS3 as a computer).

Once upon a time I bought that Sony was really interested in promoting Cell development via Linux, but in retrospect I think that was really just Ken and his people. When he left I think that whole spirit left with him and long before Cell fizzled.

Nite_Hawk

This combined with IBM cancelling the next Gen cell blades and it looks like Cell is as good as dead.

IBM was never doing anything Cell related in isolation anyway, it's a strange notion that for some reason endures. For IBM to have remained silent on Cell recently is sort-of the back-end way of us knowing for some time that Cell at Sony was somewhat endangered as well; this Linux move sort of confirms. Anyway though off-topic to this thread, I do hope that the rumor of an SPE-carrying next-gen CPU is true for purposes of B/C and just general focused task acceleration.

Once upon a time I bought that Sony was really interested in promoting Cell development via Linux, but in retrospect I think that was really just Ken and his people. When he left I think that whole spirit left with him and long before Cell fizzled.

Nite_Hawk

Lets just play pretend then, the PS3 has been out there sine 2006, for 3.5 years there has been a Cell based Console that could run linux and let anyone that wanted play around with would have been extremely costly elsewhere. Obviously Sony knew this could be an attack vector on the security of the PS3 and used resources to secure it.

After having this option for so long and still supporting it even after a PS3 model was released that didn´t, i think it´s to easy to just throw the blame on Sony. The nerd wanted Linux on a cheap powerful console, they got it.

They wanted more (or so is the, imho, lame excuse) and some of them tried to crack it. They succeeded to some extent, using the OtherOS as the entrance, and the company that provided the option is naturally concerned and chose to just shut it all down instead of entering a cat and mouse game.

I do hope that the rumor of an SPE-carrying next-gen CPU is true for purposes of B/C and just general focused task acceleration.

Besides B/C, if it can hold out Geohot and others' attack, I'd think the management will be interested to do something similar in the new design.

I would also be keen in the SPU AA and other post processing technique(s).

IBM was never doing anything Cell related in isolation anyway, it's a strange notion that for some reason endures. For IBM to have remained silent on Cell recently is sort-of the back-end way of us knowing for some time that Cell at Sony was somewhat endangered as well; this Linux move sort of confirms. Anyway though off-topic to this thread, I do hope that the rumor of an SPE-carrying next-gen CPU is true for purposes of B/C and just general focused task acceleration.

Getting more off-topic, but it would be really interesting to know exactly what the politics were around cell at IBM and Sony, and how much of that is affecting the kinds of decisions that we are now seeing made:

http://www.dvhardware.net/article32299.html

Nite_Hawk

Geo Hot: "I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play" :D someone is *issed.

He'd be obliged to respond. A lot of people blamed (and are blaming) him for the highly publicized, half-baked effort, causing the strong reaction from Sony.

Whatever the case, I think it'd be wise for Sony to add some nice features in 3.21. :p
Some of the popular requests from their new idea site would be good:
http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/popular/

Afterall, very few people use Linux actively on PS3.

He'd be obliged to respond. A lot of people blamed (and still are blaming) him for the highly publicized, half-baked effort, causing the strong reaction from Sony.

Whatever the case, I think it'd be wise for Sony to add some nice features to 3.21. :p

Indeed, the PS3 is reasonably close to being a decent media hub already. A decent web browser and support for a couple more codecs would probably placate most critics.

Nite_Hawk

... or just the #1 entry. :)
It's been widely leaked that the feature is already working for some time now.

I suspect not many use the PS3 browser. I use it mostly for youtube and occasional beyond3d access.

mkv support would be nice too. IMHO, PS3 already has enough codecs.

He'd be obliged to respond. A lot of people blamed (and are blaming) him for the highly publicized, half-baked effort, causing the strong reaction from Sony.

Whatever the case, I think it'd be wise for Sony to add some nice features in 3.21. :p

He even ackknowledged that it was his "fault".

In regards to hacks, did he actually succeed , i see he claims something in regards to the SPUs

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/02/on-isolated-spus.html

He even ackknowledged that it was his "fault".

In regards to hacks, did he actually succeed , i see he claims something in regards to the SPUs

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/02/on-isolated-spus.html

If you use his definition of having hacked the console, yes, he succeeded as he managed to get full hardware access by adding two new hypercalls. So, technically, he managed to run unsigned code with full privileges.

Has anything useful come out of this? Hardly. He got his 15 minutes of fame which seems to be his goal.

I'm going to find it very hard to feel any sympathy for this guy after what has happened and wish people stopped worshiping him.

He's now talking about a custom firmware. Those are very big shoes to fill and we'll see if he can deliver.

Wow, whats all the Geohot hate there? I mean, I'm guessing these guys only used his initial exploit to do anything...

Wow, whats all the Geohot hate there? I mean, I'm guessing these guys only used his initial exploit to do anything...

because geohot's action have done nothing productive for the society as a whole. Whether it's hacking the psp, xbox dvd drive, or the ps3, these hacks do very little for the video game industry.

because geohot's action have done nothing productive for the society as a whole. Whether it's hacking the psp, xbox dvd drive, or the ps3, these hacks do very little for the video game industry.

And releasing a dump of the GameOS does good stuff for the video game INDUSTRY?

Back