Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

What other people have pointed to (and I've noticed as well) is that there's a rectangular pattern around the red text. Thing is, there's some sort of pattern around the other text as well, it's just not as perfectly rectangular, but rather seems to follow the outline of the letters.

Would need to release a 24bit PNG, it's not the most convincing of evidence. That or a video, even a half decent mobile video would do it. Right now it looks shopped with evidence hidden behind heavy compression.

The font kerning is different, the letter spacing far closer, and the shadow is far darker and more pronounced with less blur. It's not a given, but I don't see it being the same font engine as is rendering the official font. That's not to say it isn't an optional font for developers to use though.

I think the apparent kerning difference is just the bleeding you get from red as it's compressed/resized.

Actually, it almost looks to be bolded, quite similar to the text in the upper left, which also appears to have stronger drop-shadow.

Yes, it seems a bolder version of the font. Normally that spaces characters out a little wider though. I suppose PS3 could include a condensed bold version to preserve formatting.

He's not even had the insight to paste it in straight/in line with the other text.

Guess his ego needed a little boost as no one has been talking about this non-hack for a few weeks.

Also interesting that he choose to add it over the GameOS that he will never be able to touch.

Why would he photoshop something insignificant like this:

As some people in the comments called, it's an RCO file edit, just like RCO edits on the PSP(almost same format too). RCO files are resource files for VSH plugins, live in the dev_flash, and aren't signed. To edit them on your system, patch your hypervisor to allow encrypted access to the partition(flash on old systems, hd on new), and mod ps3pf_storage. dev_flash is just a FAT partition, mount it in Linux and change what you'd like.

By reading the explanation I don't think it's a fake. The theme files don't seem to be signed and he claims to have modified one of them. Still very far away from modifying XMB itself.

By reading the explanation I don't think it's a fake. The theme files don't seem to be signed and he claims to have modified one of them. Still very far away from modifying XMB itself.

IIRC there was one crack (for PSP?) where it used a bug in an image library (jpg? png?) to load code. If the theme files allow images he could find a vector to at least crash GameOS. :smile:

You don't. It's a hack into supposedly read-only memory space achieved using the exploit. Once it is active, it seemst that this part of memory space can be mounted as FAT with read-write privileges volume within Linux (!).

Hello geohot is not a parrerel with other text. Certainly a fake

I don't know how you can say that. This is something rough I threw up, but it doesn't show anything that would suggest that the text is strange in any way in regards to its orientation.

2e34tcm.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2uyfy9c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I measured orientation too (transformed the image to correct eprspective distortion and measured from horizontal) and didn't find it out of whack. It looks wrong, but that's an optical illusion AFAICS.

Back