Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

About the 2.10 RSX exploit, I remember the homebrew folks were still trying to improve their implementation when Sony blocked it. There was hardly enough time to do anything major.

On a pre 2.10 system you can get 70% performance out of the RSX (everything but TILE and ZCOMP setup) yet I've never seen anything useful coming out of it.

Well, that is not strange considering Sony patched the "hole" (yeah, I use quotation marks around that, because as far I know it was no security risk to the system, it just allowed RSX access from OtherOS, but Sony decided to be assholes and remove it anyway) almost instantly.

Investing time into developing stuff for RSX when only a tiny, TINY percentage of enthusiasts that kept their firmware at 2.01 can run it makes no sense.

Real, reliable RSX access would certainly get more people interested in investing their time.
However, we have still to see even a proof-of-concept of RSX access running with this new hack.
As I said before, the 2.01 demo source is out there, if access is open right now, what is stopping people from running that?

Submitted months, if not years ago, so nothing to do with Geohot.
Probably nothing to do with him as I suspect Sony knew about this long before he "discovered" it. After all it's a fairly basic thing to do when attempting to hack these days.

The dates on the submitted documents are Feb. 11 2010 so unless it's been resubmitted I'd say it was new.

Found via Digitalfoundry:

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/02/on-isolated-spus.html

The PPU is higher on the control chain then the SPUs. Even if checks were to be added to, for example, verify the hypervisor before decrypting the kernel, with clever memory mappings you can hide your modified hypervisor.

Ah, but you still didn't get the Cell root key. And I/we never will. But it doesn't matter. For example, we don't have either the iPhone or PSP "root key". But I don't think anyone doubts the hackedness of those systems.
What he says about the PSP/iPhone is true, but on those platforms we've actually seen code run. Still waiting for evidence of 'hackedness'.

Also, DF suggests that Sony may remove OtherOS altogether. Poor patsu.

Wouldn't it be possible to launch a personal or class-action legal campaign against him, as if this hack of his has resulted in a need for Sony to remove a feature in your PS3 which was a selling point of your PS3, he's messed you about? I suppose the legal debate would be whether GeoHot is allowed to do what he did, and whether a response from Sony to remove the feature that was a selling point of their system is legitimate or not. I could be argues either way, that either GeoHot is responsible and pay compensation, or Sony should be forced to allow OtherOS in PS3's already sold with that feature.

Wouldn't it be possible to launch a personal or class-action legal campaign against him, as if this hack of his has resulted in a need for Sony to remove a feature in your PS3 which was a selling point of your PS3, he's messed you about? I suppose the legal debate would be whether GeoHot is allowed to do what he did, and whether a response from Sony to remove the feature that was a selling point of their system is legitimate or not. I could be argues either way, that either GeoHot is responsible and pay compensation, or Sony should be forced to allow OtherOS in PS3's already sold with that feature.

It would be more likely for a class action to target Sony for something like that. As they are the ones choosing to remove a service that was originally sold with the machine, but I don't think that would have much traction.

Sony would have to be the one going after GeoHot.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, there is no question about that, if Sony removes the OtherOS feature THEY are at fault, there is no way they can get away with that as it was a feature clearly stated as included when we bought the PS3.
If they are stupid enough to try that, let the lawsuits begin!

Wasn't one of the reasons to have OtherOS to be able to gain a favorable tax status in the EU? I wonder if that changed at all.

Yes, of course, the trail of culpability leads to Sony for changes to their product. I'm sure there won't be any trouble finding lawyers to taken on a class-action suit if they go ahead with this!
Wasn't one of the reasons to have OtherOS to be able to gain a favorable tax status in the EU? I wonder if that changed at all.
No! That rule disappeared with the PS2. the purpose of OtherOS seems to have been one or more of added value, exposing the development community to Cell development to encourage growth of the Cell, and not really knowing what they wanted to do so leaving all options open!

I don't see it happening. It's been suggesting by the CodecSys people, but the logistics of it would be a nightmare. Think of all the wasted 10GB partitions people will have on their hard disks!

New claim: that he was able to modify the screen that loads custom themes. People are saying it's actually a photoshop.
http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/03/custom-themes.html

331lgya.jpg

Maybe some pixel-savvy member can weigh in?

Well the font's different and the shadowing is inconsistent with the central text, but they may be settings? Why would he photoshop a completel fallacy though? That'd completely discredit him, and the PS3 hack would turn him into a joke.

I don't think we can see the font clearly enough to say it's different; it certainly looks the same to me. The small peculiarities (the slight upslant of the middle bar of the "e", and the horizontal bar of the "t") are consistent with the white lettering.

Ditto for the shadowing.

It's brutally compressed (81 KB JPEG for a 1600px image), this explains the unreadable shadow, and the slight bleeding/blooming of the pure red - "programmer's red", (255,0,0) - I guess no UI designer at Sony would ever use this, as, in addition to being generally ugly and un-combinable with anything else, it also doesn't display properly on NTSC SDTVs IIRC.

The font kerning is different, the letter spacing far closer, and the shadow is far darker and more pronounced with less blur. It's not a given, but I don't see it being the same font engine as is rendering the official font. That's not to say it isn't an optional font for developers to use though.

Back