Anyone have Lasik or something like it ?

Both my wife and I had it about 10 years ago. . . and it has gotten better since. Absolutely wonderful results for both of us, particularly my wife. She'd worn glasses from the age of 6 every day of her life. . .and now she only needs them for night driving.

Both my wife and I had it about 10 years ago. . . and it has gotten better since. Absolutely wonderful results for both of us, particularly my wife. She'd worn glasses from the age of 6 every day of her life. . .and now she only needs them for night driving.

It's weird how results can vary so much.

For instance my night vision has improved back to near what it was when I was in my teens/20's after getting laser eye surgery. Prior to that night driving was starting to get rather difficult.

Regards,
SB

It's weird how results can vary so much.

For instance my night vision has improved back to near what it was when I was in my teens/20's after getting laser eye surgery. Prior to that night driving was starting to get rather difficult.

Regards,
SB

She had a rather large correction, SB. You (like me) once had good natural vision. . .she never did.

The bigger the correction (at least as of 10 years ago), the worse your night vision is likely to be afterwards. Mine is still great, but at the age of 20 I was a natural 20/20. By the age of 37 I had to wear glasses to legally drive (and yes, night-time driving was worst of all). . and after Lasik I was 20/15 and night-time driving was no problem. It's gone downhill a touch to age in the 10 years since, but I can still pass a driving vision test.

Significant astigmatism was also (again, as of 10 years ago) a poor candidate.

Here's my wife's page on her experience: http://www.dahoudek.com/pages/lasik.htm including some screenies from the vhs tape (hellloooo, 1999!) they provided of the surgery. I had Lasik about the same time.

You can still wear glasses after having laser eye surgery. ;) They may not be prescription glasses though. :D

Regards,
SB

Haha, yeah - good point. I guess I am quite lucky in that my prescription is quite mild (-1.00/-2.00) so I'm not bound to wearing glasses all the time.

I never had very strong glasses, but I started wearing them in either first or second grade. I have some trouble at night, relatively (dusk is the worst), but I still have better eyesight than most people around me.

She had a rather large correction, SB. You (like me) once had good natural vision. . .she never did.

Actually no, I've been wearing bottle glasses (REALLY thick) since I was 5 or 6 years old. Enough that I STILL have indentations in my nose due to the weight of the glasses over all those years

I actually kept my glasses. Out of curiousity I put them on to see what friends of mine saw when they asked to try on my glasses. :D Owie.

I think part of it is that the fact that my Cornea is now much thinner allowing more ambient light to pass through. My vision correction needed so much correction that I was borderline suitable for Lasik. My doctor ended up recommending PRK due to the fact correction through Lasik may make my Cornea dangerously thin.

A LOT longer healing process, but the end result was just as good. Right now better than 20/20 in the left eye and 20/20 in the right eye. The only problem now is the natural hardening of the eye as you get older and thus inability to focus on near objects is starting to become a problem. Something nearsightedness compensates for somewhat, but since I'm no longer nearsighted. Ah well, it's still worth it. :)

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still wear glasses after having laser eye surgery. ;) They may not be prescription glasses though. :D

Regards,
SB

xray_glasses.jpg

:D

Recently, I had an eye exam. It turns out I'm nearsighted and required glasses. I bought my first pair about three months ago. I'm in that rare category of people who actually enjoy glasses. I developed an even greater affinity for my glasses when I was watching a "Dante's Inferno" developer interview and saw one of the devs wearing the exact same pair as me :LOL:

That'll let you score with the smart Mensa women all the time. ;)

Recently, I had an eye exam. It turns out I'm nearsighted and required glasses. I bought my first pair about three months ago. I'm in that rare category of people who actually enjoy glasses. I developed an even greater affinity for my glasses when I was watching a "Dante's Inferno" developer interview and saw one of the devs wearing the exact same pair as me :LOL:

If my glasses had been comfortable to wear I would have stuck with them. Surgery was as much to correct my vision as it was to either reduce the weight of my glasses (not perfect correction) or remove them entirely.

Both of which I would have been more than happy with. I also don't mind the look of glasses (and salty/partially grey hair). :) Gives you a bit of a distinguished look.

Thich glasses with acrylic lenses may not seem heavy at first when you pick them up. But wearing them 12-16 hours a day every day... Well lets just say I have indents in my nose and indents in the back of my ears from them. :p Both of which after this many years had gotten to be painful at the end of the day. And then having to find a compromise between snug enough to prevent them from being too painful while also having not to constantly push them back up my nose due to weight dragging them down.

Regards,
SB

Aye if i just needed reading glasses I'd put up with it as you can put them on as needed. If my perscription wasn't so crazy that it cost me $400 just for lenses I would also deal with it. But the fact that i need them to see all the time , they are heavy , even with the best cutting process they are really thick it just ges annoying.

Just an update. Yesterday I went for the 2 hour test to map out the surgery. Pretty fun time. They did a ton of tests at one point they stuck paper in my eyes. Not really fun . But surgery is the 11th. So most likely on the 12th I will be able to let you know how it goes.

best money i ever spent. 3K in 2003. no problems to note. im surprised you have to spend 6k seven years later...

You will probably not be too happy with the results on the 12:th, it takes some time for it to heal.

I'm planning on a LASIK later this year. Looking forward to it.

You will probably not be too happy with the results on the 12:th, it takes some time for it to heal.

I'm planning on a LASIK later this year. Looking forward to it.

LASIK usually only takes a day or two to get most of your vision back. PRK is the one that requires, on average, 4-8 weeks to fully heal. And for me, mine were still healing (eyesight variation) for about 8 months.

Regards,
SB

$3.5K CAD. Just felt like spending some money really (Nov 2008) :s My night vision was the same before and after (no Halos). I'm in a pretty crap environment that is uber dry all year round, so I was in the house for a month, but oh well. Never used contacts. Prior lens prescription was -4.75 both eyes. No other issues really. I could be an ideal candidate!

:)

Let use know well after you've rested. Lots of sleep is important for good and fast recovery.

Thank you.

We got pounded by snow here so my appointment was delayed. They actual started at 9am EST . I was all done by 10:15 est. I got home shortly after and slept till 4pm est.

Right now its so amazing. I can see more than 2 feet in front of me. I can actually see pretty well already its like having a 2 year old glasses perscription on.

I had two diffrent operations. On my right eye I had a flap made. Then they did the lasik on that eye. No biggy it just feels really wierd cause they put an eye lid spacer on it keeping your eye open.

The left eye they didn't make a flap. They used the laser but then had to shoot my eye with cold water. Which is what really sucked. It gave me a brain freeze.

So far even if the results don't get any better than they are now . I can actually drive like this and go about daily life and the doctor says my vision will improve for up to 6 months with most of the change happening in the first month.

Back