I need a new multifunction printer.

eloic

Veteran
Hi, guys.

My not-so-old (1 year~) multifunction printer (EPSON) is dead and I need a new one. It isn't cluttered with paper but it says so every time you turn it on or when you want to print. :cry:

Truth is, I have heard some bad comments on EPSON and on printers that use one cartridge for each colour, but I don't know why.

Can you recommend me somthing like the brand, the model, the kind of printer, etc. or just comment on this kind of devices?

Thank you in advance.
:smile:

The problem with many single color cartridge inkjet printers is that the print heads might clog if only used sporadically. For very light use, a HP or Lexmark may be preferable as the print head sits on the cartridge itself. Thus, it can probably be unclogged with a damp cloth, of if that fails just replace the cartridge.

Personally, I find Canon has the best print quality throughout their range, but depending on budget and desired feature set, others might be better buys. YMMV.

My family has a Canon PIXMA MP600 multifunction printer. It is very good.

We have a Lexmark X5435 and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy, an awful multifunction printer that I seriously despise and loath.

Not a recommendation, more like a warning I guess. :oops:

I just bought a Canon Pixma a short while back. They do a full range from the cheap MP270 that can be had with extra cartridges and cables for less than £40, right up to ones that do everything (memory slots, built in screens, wireless networking, etc) and cost hundreds. They are not supposed to be so economical for light use because of the way they clean their heads every time you use them, but they are cheaper on the cartridges if you buy the high capacity ones. They cost 20 percent more, but carry 100 percent more ink. They generally get high marks for printing/scanning quality, which is what you really want a printer to be good at.

We have a Lexmark X5435 and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy, an awful multifunction printer that I seriously despise and loath.
True. "Last generation" Lexmark were not good. Especially in terms of photo print quality and speed. Their current lineup is supposed to be better. Depending on usage, the bad ones might still be decent buys, though. Just got a X4975 bought for a pittance (~£42 delivered) for a friend, and that came with "premium features" like high capacity cartridges in box, a duplex unit, document feeder, and WiFi. For his intended use and budget, those extra features more than made up for the fact that it's considered to be "kinda' crap" compared to similar units in its class when it launched.

My next printer will have separate colour cartridges, I don't care what kind of premium up front it costs it'll save a fortune in the long run.

Thank you for all your replies, so far.

On single colour cartridges... yes or no?

It depends on how much they cost. Separate was always supposed to be cheaper, but recently the low cost of some of the dual-cartridge printer inks can work out more cheaply. Buying several small carts (which might come with printheads) isn't always cheaper than buying one big high capacity colour cart for the ink you get. Unless you print a lot of one colour, you have to check the prices and consider how much ink you get in small carts versus one big one.

Just make sure you check out the prices of carts before you buy a printer.

digitalwanderer said:
My next printer will have separate colour cartridges, I don't care what kind of premium up front it costs it'll save a fortune in the long run.
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
It depends on how much they cost. Separate was always supposed to be cheaper, but recently the low cost of some of the dual-cartridge printer inks can work out more cheaply. Buying several small carts (which might come with printheads) isn't always cheaper than buying one big high capacity colour cart for the ink you get. Unless you print a lot of one colour, you have to check the prices and consider how much ink you get in small carts versus one big one.

Just make sure you check out the prices of carts before you buy a printer.

Thanks for replying, but I asked that from a technical point of view. I mean, I want to know what kind of cartridges are... safer?

Zaphod said that "For very light use, a HP or Lexmark may be preferable as the print head sits on the cartridge itself".

What do you think?
:)

For light use, I'd stick with a laser. Powder toner never dries out.

I've got a 4 year old Samsung Color Laser, and I'm still using the first toner cartridges that came with it.

Not the greatest for photoprinting, but a laser can't be beat for documents and text.

Thanks for replying, but I asked that from a technical point of view. I mean, I want to know what kind of cartridges are... safer?

Zaphod said that "For very light use, a HP or Lexmark may be preferable as the print head sits on the cartridge itself".

What do you think?
:)

Safer for what? Some manufacturers use ink cartridges where the print head is part of the cart, some use ones where it is separate. Some use both in the same printer depending on the cart.

Conventional wisdom is that cartridges with an integrated print head are 'safer' in the sense that when the nozzles clog, at worst you ruin the cartridge and not the printer. Although, when I said 'light use above', that wasn't very accurate. The risk of clogging with an inkjet seems to be worst with occasional but ink-guzzling use. Say, when printing out 30 photos in a burst and then leaving it off for a month. The downside is more expensive cartridges.

Newer Canons with individual tanks are supposed combat this by some sort of occasional self cleaning when idle, but that guzzles ink, and many then run into empty cartridges or a problem where the printer decides that the 'spillover reservoir' is full and it's dead again.

Not very environment friendly, but it might be easiest to treat inkjets at 'disposable'. Product turnover is so high, that there always seems to be bargains to be had on last years model. As long as they work hassle free and replacement ink is economical, then great. When that's no longer true, replace it.

Or, if photo quality, weight and size are not of importance, get a laser. Avoiding those with minute starter toners, these are the most economical by far in the long run.

I hate all inkjets. :) Ah well though. My canon was ok, but it ended up dying, my HP had ridiculously expensive ink that died after printed about two pages. From now on I will just get lasers I think.

Thank you for all your replies.

Maybe, I will post what kind of model I'm considering to buy, for you to know and comment.

Hi.

I ended up buying... one of the cheapest multifunction printers I found (HP, this time). Meh. :-|

Oh, one thing was for sure: I did NOT want to pick an EPSON multifunction. :D

HP are better than Lexmark, I've had some decent luck with HP printers...just the cartridges are hella expensive.

The cheapest printers were an HP and a Canon. I decided to buy the HP because its cartridges are less expensive than Canon's... so Canon is even more expensive (in the mall where I bought the multifunction, at least).

Back