PS3 Voice Chat Quality

I found the MAG chat pretty good. Teamchat is coming over the headset while proximity chat goes to the surround speakers. Also I don`t hear some of the noise and hiss I experienced in other games.

Not sure what you mean,

Do you mean the ability to chat with someone playing a different game?

If so I'll be glad if they don't add that feature ...

I find your response strange. The purpose of cross-game chat is to talk with people that you want to talk to - not to listen to people you don't want to hear. Your ability to talk to friends is independent of what game you are playing - or whether you're playing a game at all, for that matter. It's a basic, useful, service. There's no need to downplay it.

the "high quality mode" on the sony official ps3 headset made a lot of difference, didn't know about it from the start..

You have to pair the headset with usb cable to get the high quality mode(if it hasn't change in some recent firmware upgrade)

I find your response strange. The purpose of cross-game chat is to talk with people that you want to talk to - not to listen to people you don't want to hear. Your ability to talk to friends is independent of what game you are playing - or whether you're playing a game at all, for that matter. It's a basic, useful, service. There's no need to downplay it.

Thats just it, it would have to disconnect that user from the rest of the party using VC otherwise it would be you also hearing that conversation. Then we also have the problem where everyone on that team is using VC to communicate while one person is off having a conversation about god knows what with someone else. If I'm competing AGAINST that person great..my advantage; if I'm forced to play WITH that person then I am now dissadvantaged.

It happens on UC2 all the time without cross chat, I hear people carying on conversations while playing that have nothing to do with the game. Then they get killed and imediately "How the hell did he kill me through the wall, f'n cheater" meanwhile they didn't notice the guy was behind him the whole time because he was pre-occupied talking about his friends trip to "the mall".

Cross Chat is fine as long as the games are not being played online, just my opinion though.

Ha ha, when I play at home with voice chat on, you'll hear a 4 year old yelling "Get him ! Get him", "left, left, daddy". To save your sanity, I usually mute my mic and be a good listener/follower.

Thats just it, it would have to disconnect that user from the rest of the party using VC otherwise it would be you also hearing that conversation. Then we also have the problem where everyone on that team is using VC to communicate while one person is off having a conversation about god knows what with someone else. If I'm competing AGAINST that person great..my advantage; if I'm forced to play WITH that person then I am now dissadvantaged.
You have a far more competitive streak than me! I may waffle to some degree with friends - it seems odd to not to; I'd expect that in a professional setting rather than a social one. Personally I don't care if my team are distracted as I'm not in it to win it but to have fun (and perhaps to that ends we play more coop than competitive?). But extending your sentiments, do you also take umbrage ending up on the team with the noobs, or with some player who's otherwise distracted by life circumstances and isn't playing their best? Or even just has a family around that you can't hear but their still involved in? I think wanting to be on a team where everyone's focussed and giving it their all requires a sub-set of the online community. Personally I don't care, perhaps because I was the kid always picked last for sports? I'd rather be on the Happy Team that's joking around when losing.

I'm not all that competitive, while many feel that competition brings out the best in people I tend to believe the oposite. That doesn't mean I don't strive to get better at things and value winning; just that winning to me isn't as important as having fun.

However, when I'm playing a game that involves me being on a team my goal is to help the team. That doesn't mean that I rack up the most kills, complete all of the objectives etc etc. What that means is that if I see a team mate getting shot at from someone I try and help them take that person out. If they are being attacked by two people I try and take out the one they are not going after.

I would just like the same when I'm in those situations; and frankly it rarely happens outside of co-op play. It does get worse when you have 2 people carrying on a conversation in VC that has nothing to do with the game being played, all I ask for is a little respect.

As far as noobs go I would never talk trash about them, simply put I was a noob once too; as was everyone else playing that game. If a new player doesn't know what he/she is doing, accidently kills me or other team mates I chaulk it up to a learning experience.

As far as outside circumstances, well I deal with that every day. I game and take care of my 3 month old at the same time and sometimes it makes playing difficult and thats not including the significant drop in my skill because of trying to do both at the same time. I however try not to be such a burden on my team because of my situation, if I'm on VC and my son wakes up screaming I mute my mic. If I need to pick him up and try and hold him while I'm playing I put myself in a position that keeps me safe until I can pick up the controller again. If I don't think I am going to be able to put a good effort into playing the game I will leave to open the spot up for someone who can.

So when I am playing and my son is asleep next to me and I can focus on the game in front of me I would just like to know that the people I'm playing with want to play the game...not joke around about a party they went to last night while I'm getting slaughtered and they are off in the middle of nowhere.

When I'm playing Co-op with a real life friend we will hold conversations during play over VC but that is only because we are the only ones in the game. If a random person joins our team I'm not going to subject them to our conversations about "Hows the house?", "Get your taxes done yet", "What ever happend to BJ Trisha and her sister Easy Lisa?"

I would just like the same when I'm in those situations; and frankly it rarely happens outside of co-op play. It does get worse when you have 2 people carrying on a conversation in VC that has nothing to do with the game being played, all I ask for is a little respect....
Well it sounds like you're in the same position I am, but by that reckoning, if someone is using cross-game chat without you knowing, you won't know that it's impacting their play, so would there be cause to grumble? In my opinion people waffling doesn't adversely impact the game. Someone is quite capable of chatting about Aunt Isabelle's dodgy hips and making a life-saving shot to rescue a teammate. I just mute anyone I don't want to talk to. If PSN was generally full of useful, cooperative team-talk and idle banter was rare then I guess off-topic talk would be an annoyance, but as it is, teamwork is generally so lacking (I think people are fundamentally adverse to taking orders from strangers if they're not getting paid for it, but maybe my online experience is too limited in to know otherwise?) that using the VC to talk home life instead of game events is fine by me. In that respect, an independent cross-application voice channel is better than using the in-game option. Someone on the team may be shouting advice and having it ignored, but that'll happen with cross-game chat too.

I've never tried the XMB Voice Chat on PSN, anyone knows how it compares with the ingame voice chats ?

My ex-RFOM teammates use it before our daily games to chat. I didn't hear them complain about it. I remember the RFOM voice chat was very clear also.

I use the video chat more. It's more laggy than PC/Mac chat when the network is poor, but still usable.

Back