NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Probably "Synchronous" (but so is GDDR3). I'm guessing that, from the pre-DDR days, the first and second "SDR" in SDR-SDRAM (Single Data Rate-Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory) have gotten mixed up in common parlance.

i thought AMD memory chips was more interesting than what sddr3 is that it's already been using in lowend parts for so long.. There were AMD brand DIMMs but they were actually just a sticker job.. This time it looks different and they expanded the job maybe we'll see AMD NANDs in the future..
FWIW translated from source
SDDR3 Graphics DDR3 SDRAM, was developed by GDDR3 memory branch, particles are used 8bit with the DDR3 memory prefetching techniques, single 16bit width, normally only used in low-end video cards.
Than GDDR3, SDDR3 single width cut by half, but the storage density is twice times the GDDR3, and due to the low frequency limit of power consumption and heat. So bandwidth is not high in the low-end video cards, SDDR3 has a greater capacity, the advantages of low cost, low power consumption and low heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've had this product page up for ages. Amusing to see AMD-branded RAM coupled with a Nvidia GPU, but I assume any manufacturer making cards from both could have dug through their spare parts bin to fill up some quantity. Or maybe it was just cheap.

I suppose this is the right thread.

Does anyone know why the GTS 450 was so slow? Upon release, it was barely any faster than the GTS 250, which is G92 powered!

with 128bit memory, approximately 100W of power budget, you can't do miracles. especially the Fermi architecture before refresh was a serious power hog.

funnily the new radeon 7750/7770 still are around the same level of performance.
the 7750 is easily the best current card from a certain viewpoint. I would buy it right now if it had good proprietary linux drivers (it doesn't. not that there are games to play under that OS..)

I hope a low end Kepler will match it. or that AMD does a serious effort to support non-Windows OS.

I suppose this is the right thread.

Does anyone know why the GTS 450 was so slow? Upon release, it was barely any faster than the GTS 250, which is G92 powered!
Bandwidth was lower and the 192SPs were probably trough super-scalar execution not so effective as the 128SPs in G92, which had also support by the co-issue/missing MUL in some situations.

Back