NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

It's quite ironic if dual fermi ends up being smaller, quieter and the more elegant solution than AMD's dual card. Performance seems to be quite good also.

Well that elegance will be paid for with lower performance. Time will tell if it's a better overall solution but that's what it looks like so far. No dice if it's priced higher than 6990 though.

Well that elegance will be paid for with lower performance. Time will tell if it's a better overall solution but that's what it looks like so far. No dice if it's priced higher than 6990 though.

I am mostly interested whether it can OC without issues (other than a slight noise bumb) to regular 580 clocks which would imo fix the performance issue completely. I know performance is king with these cards, but situations where 6990 can play a game and stock GTX 590 can't are going to be extremely limited and that makes more elegant solution gain in value. Of course single GPU cards aren't really in bad shape either...

I think the pricing of these dual cards are ridiculous in any case. 6990 should not cost 2x or over 6970 and if this thing costs even more... It's a bad joke.

Saw this posted at [H] http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037017976&postcount=132

Alien vs Predator 1920x1080 no Antialiasing
Gulftown 12 core CPU

GTX580: 70fps
GTX590: 105fps
HD6990 stock: 118fps
HD6990 AUSUM: 124fps

GTX580/590 scores come from this ASUS GTX590 unboxing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJC-47wGYM
HD6990 scores from Tom's review here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6990-antilles-crossfire,2878-8.html
Comparison seems valid since they both use the same CPU (12 core gulftown) and in Tom's test the GTX580 also scored 70fps under the same settings.

The 590 might win Dirt 2 and some TWIMTBP titles but otherwise it looks to be a good 15% slower on average.

Probably depends on which games you average, eh.

Previous reviews have shown AvP to favour AMD, with the 6970 generally outpacing the GTX570 in this title.

I think thats one of the reason for limited amount of launch partners (besides the launch quatity maybe). They need 2 of the best gf110 chips for the card, from which you could build 2 gtx580-OC-s card.

OC is a very broad term for these sub-percent overclocks and overvoltage also seems limited according to some editors.

Yes, OC was not the best word. But if they sell a single gtx580 on average for 500$, than the dual gtx590 card for something over 700$ is not realy "deal of the life" for the AIB-s.

Reviews are somewhat predicatably all over the place. The 590 gets panned at Hexus and [H] while toms reckons nVidia wins due to acoustics. The rest have it as a draw from what I can tell.

I don't like what [H] is doing to reach it's conclusion . they never tested the cards acoustics , when GTX 480 came they made a hassle out of that card's noise , they even booted a video for it , however they didn't do the same for HD 6990 .

They also add some games and then remove them according to their will , like Lost Planet 2 for example , they use it in non-reference reviews , and then dump it in the official (reference) card releases .

and they still use only 5 games .

I really wish they step up their testing methods .

With a card like GeForce GTX 590, that has so much latent performance, I couldn't wait to try bumping the voltage to see how much I could gain from it.

As a first step, I increased the voltage from 0.938 V default to 1.000 V, maximum stable clock was 815 MHz - faster than GTX 580! Moving on, I tried 1.2 V to see how much could be gained here, at default clocks and with NVIDIA's power limiter enabled. I went to heat up the card and then *boom*, a sound like popcorn cracking, the system turned off and a burnt electronics smell started to fill up the room. Card dead! Even with NVIDIA power limiter enabled. Now the pretty looking, backlit GeForce logo was blinking helplessly and the fan did not spin, both indicate an error with the card's 12V supply.
After talking to several other reviewers, this does not seem to be an isolated case, and many of them have killed their cards with similar testing, which is far from being an extreme test.

ouch

Does it matter? NV now talks about acoustics etc. when they plain and simply can't win on performance. taking into account the fact that the 590 is a good €100 more expensive than a 6990 here in europe and it's clear to see that the 590 has all the right specs for the wrong market.

In the end it's TDP bottlenecked it, but that's what we already knew way before the 480 launched. NV can't make a dual-Fermi card.

Hey, a 25% survival rate is excellent in this market :)

edit: here's your link: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_590/26.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back