NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

The alien demo is pretty cool but is a quieter 480 really their big play? Companies can have a sense of humor but this has to be a joke. And I'm quite sure Cayman cards are already "on the planet" :)

C could probably be XFX :devilish:

What confuses me is the fact the only leak so far showed only the "new" GTX580 on top of the actual GTX470.

XFX is not an "authorized NVIDIA partner" anymore, so it can't be XFX.

C might be the next BFG, though… or XFX, in the sense that it could turn to AMD.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/237213,the-gtx580-launch-flawed.aspx

Wanna guess, who A,B,C and D is? I am thinking A is EVGA. But who is C? :)

It's an Australian based magazine, don't think EVGA sells there. Looking at their graphics card review page here:
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Category/15,graphics-cards.aspx
There are cards from Asus, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Inno3d, Palit and MSI previously reviewed. Likely the author called up the supplier for those, multiple nvidia partners may share the same supplier.

Personally based on partner size would guess 4 are Asus, Gigabyte, Palit and MSI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the endless city demo is either terribly lazy or the demo team had a precise count of 0 artists on board :LOL:

It looks horrendous, seriously. Kinda inline with PC gaming where processing power is wasted on stupid bells and whistles instead of getting core assets nicely scaled up.

I'd rather say, it's a techdemo. And from what has been shown publicly, I excpet this to be the exact route, next-gen consoles and their games will be going. Über-simple base mesh with detail added rather through tessellation than texture effects.

Basically it's all about cost and the 3D models are already high res on the artists side.

This techdemo is targeted on press/end-users. On my opinion, this kind of demo should show new level of visual realism, which the product is capable to achieve. I believe that Toyshop was never surpassed in this purpose. Neither by ATI nor by nVidia... Current hardware offers 23-times higher alu performance, 7-times higher texturing rate, but it doesn't translate into higher level of reality. What's the problem? Good ideas? If so, I really miss Natasha :)

I'd rather say, it's a techdemo. And from what has been shown publicly, I excpet this to be the exact route, next-gen consoles and their games will be going. Über-simple base mesh with detail added rather through tessellation than texture effects.

Basically it's all about cost and the 3D models are already high res on the artists side.

Except the results were from texture effects more or less :)

Anyway I actually agree with Tchock to some extent. Like I said something was missing, there is no soul to it (whatever that means).

Wow, the endless city demo is either terribly lazy or the demo team had a precise count of 0 artists on board :LOL:

It looks horrendous, seriously. Kinda inline with PC gaming where processing power is wasted on stupid bells and whistles instead of getting core assets nicely scaled up.

It's not very exciting from an artistic standpoint, but neither was AMD's latest tech demo, which looks very uninspired.

I wonder what happened to the Cinema 2.0 demo with Ruby from the HD 4870 launch, which was exceptionally impressive imo. The whole Cinema 2.0 thing was never mentioned again.

It's not very exciting from an artistic standpoint, but neither was AMD's latest tech demo, which looks very uninspired.

I wonder what happened to the Cinema 2.0 demo with Ruby from the HD 4870 launch, which was exceptionally impressive imo. The whole Cinema 2.0 thing was never mentioned again.

Indeed, I was expecting it to be a techdemo for my 4870X2 back then, but it never came to be. Actually, I don't know what I was thinking? It was too good to become a real time affair with the technology available at the time.

Here's a follow up video that should explain some stuff.

It would be great to see a cut down version of this, running in real time, on the 6990 or something. It sure would shut up a lot of mouths!

Indeed, I was expecting it to be a techdemo for my 4870X2 back then, but it never came to be. Actually, I don't know what I was thinking? It was too good to become a real time affair with the technology available at the time.

Here's a follow up video that should explain some stuff.

It would be great to see a cut down version of this, running in real time, on the 6990 or something. It sure would shut up a lot of mouths!

Why does AMD keep showing off this cool tech - and then never doing anything with it? Surely they should have been building tools to allow people to easily create content with this stuff?

The demos they showed off for 48xx have been the most impressive demos from either company either before or since, but what's happened to all that promise? All that hyper-realistic stuff just hasn't gone anywhere since then.

This software eco-system around the hardware products is always where Nvidia has been giving AMD a damn good kicking for years. It's why AMDs professional graphics cards can't get any traction in the high end market currently dominated by Quadros.

It seems ATI (AMD) has been operating since forever on the presumption that if you build it then they shall come...and the bitter reality is it just isn't true.

NV's devrel department and customer mindshare just seems vastly bigger and more effective than AMD's, unfortunately. I guess part of it comes from putting their spinning logos in the loading sequence of 50+ percent of all PC games. Advertising sells stuff. Simple concept, really. :)

Why does AMD keep showing off this cool tech - and then never doing anything with it? Surely they should have been building tools to allow people to easily create content with this stuff?

The demos they showed off for 48xx have been the most impressive demos from either company either before or since, but what's happened to all that promise? All that hyper-realistic stuff just hasn't gone anywhere since then.
My wild guess is, some more powerful company took this idea, made it proprietary (maybe) and run away with it :smile: Thats why AMD suddenly are silent about it. This Lightstage tech havent died - its used in Avatar, Transformers, Spiderman 2/3, etc.

I did some digging, and it appears same guys who were pushing it are now in cloud-computing, while Lightstage is used by heavy-weights in Hollywood. Maybe they didnt needed AMD, or didnt wanted super-realism in games and virtual-reality, that could negatively influence movie industry, or w/e.

Imagine if everyone in their living room could be "directors" and create very impressive realistic movie-like 3D experiences in real-time, its not exactly what Hollywood wants. They want to create it themselves, and sell that to you.

Just try to imagine how much would cost a real playable game with such level of detail. You would need to pay an army of people :rolleyes:.
I think thats the main reason for slowing down the progress. (at least for real usage in games not graphic presentations or demos)

Just try to imagine how much would cost a real playable game with such level of detail.

Excuse me , but can't they run a "strong enough" content generator on cloud?

I think it could do a better job than Bethesda's F3 ... THAT shouldn't be too hard.... :LOL:

Back