NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

nVIDIA is really a marketing driven company, so I dont quite believe that they would stop doing it because of that. AND if they did in fact push the date sooner because of the stockholders meeting or what ever it is, wouldnt it make sense for them to make as noise as possible?
Two theories on that, "walk softly/carry a big stick" and "weaksauce":

"Walk softly/carry a big stick": This card isn't just good, it's all that and a bag of chips! No need to push the news, as soon as everyone finds out how good it is it will be the story.

"Weaksauce": The other end of the spectrum, the card is hot/slow/noisy. Anything they say now will either sound bad or be dis-proven soon, best to just wait and let the chips fall where they may.

Could also be that nVidia honestly doesn't know what Cayman can do yet so they're not wanting to put out any final clocks/performance numbers until they know what they're shooting for....that would be under the "Cayman is delayed" theory. ;)

I think Nvidia is trying to have their cake and eat it. They want to use 580 as a distraction for the upcoming analyst days when they will talk about it to the investors, but they also want to bring it out again as a spoiler against the Cayman launch.

So I think you'll see a launch for the analysts talking about what a good investment product 580, how much money Nvdia will make at Christmas from the HPC market that Nvidia will magic up, etc. Then you'll get a spoiler launch against Cayman that talks about how "kewl!" and "rad!" it is, how it great it play games with ten times too much tessellation, bring out some stone giant benchmarks, etc

Geeks3D posted what they say is Nvidia's GF 580 demo, Endless City: 600 million tri/s, procedurally generated, 500k light sources, SSAO, dynamic lighting. It apparently requires CUDA, so no Radeons tested yet, only a 460 and a (2x faster) 480.

(I also posted this in the Barts tessellation thread. Seems relevant here, too.)

Geeks3D posted what they say is Nvidia's GF 580 demo, Endless City: 600 million tri/s, procedurally generated, 500k light sources, SSAO, dynamic lighting. It apparently requires CUDA, so no Radeons tested yet, only a 460 and a (2x faster) 480.

(I also posted this in the Barts tessellation thread. Seems relevant here, too.)

Oh, so that's where the Gargoyle statues are coming from!

Quite nice and impressive tech demo.

EDIT - To be honest, I think that they downgraded too much the non-tesselated parts in demo, to show the difference between non-tesselated and tesselated...

Quite nice and impressive tech demo.
To be honest , this is the best tessellation demo I have ever seen , the city just looks amazing , especially in wire-frame .

endlesscity642010110610.jpg

EDIT - To be honest, I think that they downgraded too much the non-tesselated parts in demo, to show the difference between non-tesselated and tesselated...

Agreed.

To be honest, I think that they downgraded too much the non-tesselated parts in demo, to show the difference between non-tesselated and tesselated...

I don't think the point of the demo was to show how awesome tessellation is vs today's un-tessellated models. It was to show how you can take an extremely simple base mesh and dramatically increase detail with tessellation and displacement mapping. Of course, games will never ship with meshes that simple until tessellation is as common as texture mapping on graphics hardware.

What an ugly fella, reminds me of 4200i days ... god I hate non-breaking phong shading. Can we have Oren-Nayar in 2010, please?

To be honest , this is the best tessellation demo I have ever seen , the city just looks amazing , especially in wire-frame .
Not sure what you find so amazing TBH, I think that looks just terrible. The colors are all dull and washed-out, those 500M light sources could just be one single flat ambient light, there's no shading or shadows worth mentioning... Simply put, terrible graphics through and through.

Not sure what you find so amazing TBH, I think that looks just terrible. The colors are all dull and washed-out, those 500M light sources could just be one single flat ambient light, there's no shading or shadows worth mentioning... Simply put, terrible graphics through and through.

The pics of that demo give me the impression of a low poly count :???:

Back