NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

I am curious about the performance increase with 2 additional TPCs ( Between GTX460 and GTX46X ).

Last edited by a moderator:
It also says an obvious photoshop is the die... I'm thinking grains of salt are in order.
I dunno clearly the image is fake but maybe it wasn't really meant to show a GF104? Just there for size comparisons, and they needed something to fill the pic to make it look more real? I mean it's so obvious it doesn't really misled anyone...

Or maybe it is intended to missguide the public. It makes it look like GF104 is rcoming soon and would be able to match Cypress. Maybe it is not ready and maybe it must be happy to match the top version of Juniper.

I've started a thread on the new Aliens vs Predator DX11 benchmark tool that was just released (at least I think it was just released,heheh).

Thought to announce it here as well, since there's been a lot of talk about AvP DX11. Have a look if you want and post your results! ;)

Yes they are. Thank God I don't need any glasses yet; even if I'd wear binoculars it wouldn't help if I only see what I'd want to see LOL.

Haha yea thats true ;)

Im guessing AMD will have to respond and launch a mobile version of cypress tho, and i really dont know why they havent. Personally im waiting for an Optimus enabled GF 106 in a laptop. And hopefully it wont be too expensive. Acer has a 5740G with an i5 CPU and Mobility 5650 for just $699. While its tempting, the battery life isnt great

Haha yea thats true ;)

Im guessing AMD will have to respond and launch a mobile version of cypress tho, and I really don't know why they haven't. Personally im waiting for an Optimus enabled GF 106 in a laptop. And hopefully it wont be too expensive. Acer has a 5740G with an i5 CPU and Mobility 5650 for just $699. While its tempting, the battery life isnt great

Well, until now, there was no real need to do so. Even now, it's questionable: just how much demand is there for such power-hungry mobile GPUs?

The amount of people buying desktop replacements is ridiculous ... although at least with those HD5650 laptops you're getting semi-decent value.

Well, until now, there was no real need to do so. Even now, it's questionable: just how much demand is there for such power-hungry mobile GPUs?

Its the same reason they released HD 5970 on the desktop, there isnt much demand but it has the halo effect. Plus they could have captured some of the GTX 260/280M (esp SLI) market. Arguably its a very small market but hey some sales are better than no sales right?

And as Mfa said, desktop replacements and laptops in general are selling well, theres huge growth in the mobile space in general. The HD 5650 laptops are really quite good value

Its the same reason they released HD 5970 on the desktop, there isnt much demand but it has the halo effect. Plus they could have captured some of the GTX 260/280M (esp SLI) market. Arguably its a very small market but hey some sales are better than no sales right?

And as Mfa said, desktop replacements and laptops in general are selling well, theres huge growth in the mobile space in general. The HD 5650 laptops are really quite good value

But they already had the halo effect since the Mobility HD 5870 was the fastest mobile graphics card available. Besides, I'm not even sure having the fastest mobile graphics card generates any kind of halo, I believe that's a battle fought on desktop.

There are a lot of desktop replacement systems being sold, but with high-end graphics? I think it's probably worth it to release a mobile Cypress now, and actually, that's most likely what Lexington is, but before, I can't really see a compelling reason to do so.

With the money a notebook with (mobile) high end graphics costs I can buy a cheap notebook just for office work & browsing and set up a high end desktop which will be times better for gaming than the first.

With the money a notebook with (mobile) high end graphics costs I can buy a cheap notebook just for office work & browsing and set up a high end desktop which will be times better for gaming than the first.

Who said anything about mass market having the purchasing sense of B3D regulars? :smile:

That's besides the point. Are high end gaming laptops exceeding in percentage "performance" gaming desktops?

I would suggest that the segment is becoming more relevant. There are considerably better value gaming laptops relative to the vanilla ones now than say compared to a couple of years ago. This just reflects how it used to be that you needed a performance desktop to play games when now you can get away with a relatively sprightly Acer with an HD 5650 for only $700.

Sure, but try taking that desktop with you on your next trans-pacific business trip so you can kill down time with some gaming.

NVIDIA breaks up with Hardware Secrets

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/blog/NVIDIA-breaks-up-with-Hardware-Secrets/174

Read the drama for yourself. In the meantime:

This Monday NVIDIA will announce GeForce GTX 465. Since I didn’t sign any NDA and since I am not getting any kind of support anyway, here are the basic specs: 352 processors, 44 texture units, 607 MHz core clock, 1,215 MHz shader clock and 802 MHz (2,206 MHz QDR) memory clock. The card will have 1 GB GDDR5 memory with a 256-bit interface.

Back