NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

I understand it as GTX460 being GF104...

GTX465 (I think it's 465 after all?) is according to so far speculations a castrated GF100 with 11SMs/4 ROP partitions. If true why would something like that have a chip with a different codename?

So the 5830 is a joke?
Pretty much imho. Still, I think gtx465 should beat it. This card should scale down gracefully with unit count, unlike the HD5830 which has a rop / usable memory bandwidth problem. Could get close to GTX285 performance as a guess.
I understand it as GTX460 being GF104...
That's what I got from it as well. Maybe the close model numbers indicate they are very close in performance, though it doesn't fit the rumours that GF104 is actually faster than this downscaled GF100 (though I said I'm sceptical about this so it would fit my expectations...)

GTX465 (I think it's 465 after all?) is according to so far speculations a castrated GF100 with 11SMs/4 ROP partitions. If true why would something like that have a chip with a different codename?

Well if you look for some more recent speculations, they say that GTX460 is after all GF104...

Maybe GTX 460 and GTX 465 are not different names for the same product, but actually different products, the former based on GF104, and the latter based on a salvaged GF100.

After all, isn't it more natural to assume that different names refer to different things? Granted, this is NVIDIA, but they don't usually rename products before launching them.

Maybe GTX 460 and GTX 465 are not different names for the same product, but actually different products, the former based on GF104, and the latter based on a salvaged GF100.

After all, isn't it more natural to assume that different names refer to different things? Granted, this is NVIDIA, but they don't usually rename products before launching them.

Well, ive thought about that, but i dont belive it would be just a xx5 separating the products.. But this is nVIDIA, you never know :p

Well, it's happened before: GTX 275, 280, 285...

True but, correct if im wrong, those essentially the same chip, just with a respin/die shrink... a castrated GF100 and GF104 should be two different chips, despite based on the same architecture..

Sure, but there's good reason to believe that performance should be close, and in the end, it matters a lot more than what piece of silicon is under the heat-sink.

My (wild) guess here is that NVIDIA originally planned a GTX 480, (470) and 460 all based on GF100 as well as a GTS 450 based on GF104. Then, they found out that the GTX 460 wouldn't be very much faster than the GTS 450, so they renamed the former to GTX 465 and the latter to GTX 460, in order to be more consistent.

Sure, but there's good reason to believe that performance should be close, and in the end, it matters a lot more than what piece of silicon is under the heat-sink.

My (wild) guess here is that NVIDIA originally planned a GTX 480, (470) and 460 all based on GF100 as well as a GTS 450 based on GF104. Then, they found out that the GTX 460 wouldn't be very much faster than the GTS 450, so they renamed the former to GTX 465 and the latter to GTX 460, in order to be more consistent.

Meh, i still dont buy the idea :p
Besides, reports say that GF104 smokes GTX460... Unless nVIDIA is artificially crippling GF104 to not canibalize GTX460 sales...
In the end, i think that we never had so much fun with GPU speculation as with Fermi :p

What is wrong?
That the 480 is the fastest single GPU ever made?

The point in question was that GF100 is a very large and very costly chip to make. Selling it at the same price point as the HD 5830 can't be good for NVIDIA. Of course for end-users, power consumption aside, it doesn't make any difference.

Back