NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

what is the availability of the 460 likely to be? yield will I assume be higher than 470/480, but how many GF100 wafers have even been produced? even if the yield is 2 or 3 times higher that still wouldn't a whole lot of units correct?

For the lulz:
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18608/1/

So according to Fudo GF104 has no cache :LOL:

But even if we take his comments with just a semblance of truth, the L2 is gone?

the rumored die size would be just... that. ;)

Heh have there been any GPU's produced with ZERO cache? :LOL:

Then again if we read a bit more into the article which implies they have redesigned a bit of the architecture, it might explain why derivatives are late

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 Launch @ COMPUTEX 2010

So its been renamed already, even before it launched :LOL:

Source, VR-Zone http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-465-launch--computex-2010/9028.html

With all the rumors floating around, the recent leaked specs previously seems to be quite spot on. Indeed, NVIDIA is preparing to launch the GeForce GTX 465 at COMPUTEX 2010 which is taking place from June 1st - 5th. Interestingly, we heard the current batch of GTX 465 cores are essentially GTX 470 with just some CUDA cores turned off so there could be some possibilities of unlocking it if that remains the case. With an estimated price target of $249, it could prove to be quite attractive for some.

So its been renamed already, even before it launched :LOL:

Source, VR-Zone http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-465-launch--computex-2010/9028.html

Dunno why they threw in the piece about unlocking though. Even disregarding the different memory interface, I haven't seen any recent graphic card you could unlock (must have been ages since this worked, I can remember the radeon 9500). Maybe they meant it uses the same pcb with the "essentially same as GTX470", but I can't see how that would increase chances of unlocking.

Dunno why they threw in the piece about unlocking though. Even disregarding the different memory interface, I haven't seen any recent graphic card you could unlock (must have been ages since this worked, I can remember the radeon 9500). Maybe they meant it uses the same pcb with the "essentially same as GTX470", but I can't see how that would increase chances of unlocking.

X800/6800 was the last "unlockable gen"

Given the poor yields, it's pretty unlikely that full working chips are going to be used for the 465 when they could be used for the 470 or 480.

Even if it was the case, it's been a long time since all you needed to unlock a better graded chip was a pencil or a BIOS flash. Everyone has learned that customers can and will do simple mods to get some extra performance, so they've made that kind of unlocking much harder.

Regardless of the unlocking potential, which is an iffy proposition at best, this seems like it might scale more gracefully than the 5830. Might be an interesting card.

Yea these days they apparently disable the parts by using a laser so even physically people are unable to unlock the cards.

X800/6800 was the last "unlockable gen"

Dont forget the X1800 GTO, i remember coz i had one back then(still do as a matter of fact :D) It was based on R520 and came enabled with 12 pipes. If you were lucky you could unlock it to the full 16 pipes with a BIOS flash.

Regardless of the unlocking potential, which is an iffy proposition at best, this seems like it might scale more gracefully than the 5830. Might be an interesting card.

I actually think it might end up going the HD 5830 way, It was rumoured to be 384 SP's, now down to 352, so 44 TMU's and mem is also cut down to 256 bit with the speed even lower than GTX 470's. It looks like it'll slot in just above HD 5770 but at double the power consumption! :devilish:

I actually think it might end up going the HD 5830 way, It was rumoured to be 384 SP's, now down to 352, so 44 TMU's and mem is also cut down to 256 bit with the speed even lower than GTX 470's. It looks like it'll slot in just above HD 5770 but at double the power consumption! :devilish:
Just above HD5770 means slightly better than GTX 260 or equal to GTX275 !

this means comparing a 352-core part against a 216 or 240 core part ! not to mention the increased clocks ! GTX 465 should scale way better than that.

this means comparing a 352-core part against a 216 or 240 core part ! not to mention the increased clocks ! GTX 465 should scale way better than that.

Increased clocks? The GTX 275's shaders run at 1404MHz, compared to 1215MHz for the GTX 470.

Not to mention the TMUs, possibly the memory bandwidth... Not saying the GTX 465 will necessarily be slow, but shaders aren't everything.

Even the 5830 is not an interesting package compared to 5850 and 5770, a GF100 version in that performance region is just a joke.

Rumors make sense now, ya?

So you're saying this is gonna be a GF104 based part??

Well by just above i meant about 15-20% better but yea im not expecting performance to be stellar. Id think at or above GTX 275 performance

The GTX 480 had double the shaders compared to GTX 285 yet only aobut 60% more performance on average(clocks are similar). The 352 core part is clocked at 1.2 ghz versus 1.4 ghz in case of the GTX 275 and the GTX 275 has higher memory bandwidth as well, i think around 130 GB/s vs 102 GB/s

So the 5830 is a joke?

Surely not a card I would recommend to a friend. If I do consider the even higher power consumption of the GF100 and the cooling requirement (which means a silent card will be expensive) Iit becomes even more pointless, compared to the available 5850 versions and 5770 version.

Back