NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

So is there a performance increase, or a lowering of detail? Is the original one "extreme"? That is my assumption.

U have now some tesselation options in benchmark too. Three sliders. I assume the enabled seting is 1.0 on all three sliders.
unigine2010032318413747.jpg

@compres: Yes, a poll favoring Eyefinity from a site where the editor constantly shoves Eyefinity down everyone's throat is surely representative :LOL:

It seems you give too much credit to those types of "articles" :)

One and only one thing is relevant to a money making company and that is ...well...making money. If their current strategy is not yielding enough profits, they will change it. It's that simple. Obviously the process of changing that strategy may take a while, but it will be changed sooner or later.

nVidia is struggling to beat ATI with 50% more of everything so why would a change of strategy help?

They just cant compete with ATI in efficiency so they have to go big every time. nVidia is losing due to being fundametally inferior and a change of strategy isn't going to change that.

Or Kyle's info is bogus ?

Kyle didn't even say that there won't be any B1. He said he HEARD there was not going to be any B1. Two entirely different things.

IMO, I believe it's true. If A3 is going to ship, what is so fundamentally wrong that will be fixed in B1 ? And if there is something fundamentally wrong, why is it shipping in A3 ?

Never really made much sense to me...

More precisely, Kyle said 'Heard today that there will NOT be a B1 spin later this year. A3 is it.'

I also give my credit to Kyle and don't ignore the term of ' this year'. TSMC is still struggling for their 40 nm process, which hinders nv from reaching the target power of Fermi. There's a need to go a respin, IMO.

The going-to-released A3 part is just a compromise of time, yield and performance for nv. It' doesn't fell good to be an under-dog for 6 months or more...

@compres: Yes, a poll favoring Eyefinity from a site where the editor constantly shoves Eyefinity down everyone's throat is surely representative :LOL:

[H] was considered biased to nVidia before the 5800s. From the looks of it, most people would choose eyefinity over physX if they had to pick just one.

Feel free to produce other poll proving your point.

I don't own an evergreen card, and just try to run PhysX on a midrange NV part at the same time you're gaming on it and you can laugh yourself blue. Pretty much anything outside of a GTX285 is going to choke itself to death playing at 1920x1200 with all the eyecandy on and PhysX enabled. It would be worse than a slideshow on a GT220?

In your example, tessellation is at least usable and playable on epic resolution on any of the 58xx series from ATI. And probably the same with the upcoming Fermi. I'm suspicious (at best) of the same being able to be said about PhysX running smoothly on Fermi with the rest of the eyeball candy on, especially given it's current performance expectations.

And the actual Tessellation hardware is the same throughout all the 5000 series.

[H] was considered biased to nVidia before the 5800s.
Oh boy.

Would somebody refresh me on which bias each hardware site supposedly has? ;)

From the looks of it, most people would choose eyefinity over physX if they had to pick just one.
I doubt that. Most people are preferring to set up some crazy multidisplay rig at home instead of having Physx? I'm not sure "most people" care about either, actually.

I don't own an evergreen card, and just try to run PhysX on a midrange NV part at the same time you're gaming on it and you can laugh yourself blue. Pretty much anything outside of a GTX285 is going to choke itself to death playing at 1920x1200 with all the eyecandy on and PhysX enabled. It would be worse than a slideshow on a GT220?

PhysX is not different to Tessellation. Both increase the workload of the gpu and will slow down the performance.

In your example, tessellation is at least usable and playable on epic resolution on any of the 58xx series from ATI. And probably the same with the upcoming Fermi. I'm suspicious (at best) of the same being able to be said about PhysX running smoothly on Fermi with the rest of the eyeball candy on, especially given it's current performance expectations.
Evergreen is to slow for tessellation. Stalker and Metro2033 use tessellation with only small difference in the visual but the performance hit is very high. Metro is unplayble with tessellation on a 5850 card: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...marks-with-DirectX-11-and-GPU-Physx/Practice/

GF100 should be a lot faster with GPU-Physics because of the L1 Cache und twice of the Cores. Numbers from the CES show a 80%+ increase in Dark Void with Physx in 1920x1080 and 4AA/16AF: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...idia-s-geforce-gf100-under-microscope-14.html

Or Kyle's info is bogus ?

Kyle didn't even say that there won't be any B1. He said he HEARD there was not going to be any B1. Two entirely different things.

IMO, I believe it's true. If A3 is going to ship, what is so fundamentally wrong that will be fixed in B1 ? And if there is something fundamentally wrong, why is it shipping in A3 ?

Never really made much sense to me...

What were they going to do let ati have a year or more of having the only dx 11 high end parts out or dx 11 parts of any price range out ?

A3 seems to have lots of problems. Even rumors of B1 put it in mid to late summer. Ati would reap huge amounts of profits going unchallanged and at this point the gtx 260 and up line is un sellable.

This way even if the cards are expensive , hot and don't perform well at least there is something out ther to keep ati in check

Oh boy.

Would somebody refresh me on which bias each hardware site supposedly has? ;)

Oh boy.

Either say something usefull or not.

I doubt that. Most people are preferring to set up some crazy multidisplay rig at home instead of having Physx? I'm not sure "most people" care about either, actually.

"I doubt that. Most people are preferring to set up some crazy 1500USD rig at home instead of having an XBOX360? I'm not sure "most people" care about either, actually."

Hello? Did you consider the demographic? Of course not, why would you...

Depends on what you call tessellation. Games with laughable tessellation such as Dirt2 and Stalker: CoP would just run fine - but if Unigine benchmark was a game, try running it on 1920 with tessellation and AA enabled on a 5850. Framerate would go down to the 10's range.

Also the game Metro 2033 - while bringing nearly no visual benefits with tessellation - kill even 5800 series cards when tessellation is turned on.

It's the same tacked on DX11 shit we saw with the introduction of first DX10 capable GPU's. Luckily games are becoming DX10 native finally.

Either say something usefull or not. Hello? Did you consider the demographic? Of course not, why would you..

"I doubt that. Most people are preferring to set up some crazy 1500USD rig at home instead of having an XBOX360? I'm not sure "most people" care about either, actually."
Which niche demographic am I supposed to consider? Are you serious in that you think a lot of gamers are going to be building Eyefinity setups, so that they can enjoy huge screens with ugly bezel borders all over? Cuz it's just CLEARLY superior to a huge plasma TV or projector, etc... ;) And serious that Physx is less appealing, when uhh, many people already have it and have had it since they bought their G80-GT200 cards that they bought years ago and haven't upgraded because they don't see the need?

I'm waiting for the next consoles to come along with exciting new Physx GPU technology, the next Emotion Engine marketing bullet, the new household term, and nobody will know it was on PCs for years beforehand! lol

(note that I find Physx ridiculous, but I still think it's more prolific than Eyefinity will ever be)

Last edited by a moderator:
Which niche demographic am I supposed to consider? Are you serious in that you think a lot of gamers are going to be building Eyefinity setups, so that they can enjoy huge screens with ugly bezel borders all over? ;)

I'm waiting for the next consoles to come along with exciting new Physx GPU technology, the next Emotion Engine marketing bullet, and nobody will know it was on PCs for years beforehand! lol

The niche is the kind of people who visit websites like HardOCP and others, and I posted a poll in such a website.

Feel free to post another poll where you can prove people will choose physX over eyefinity given the option of just one.

Of course they do. I read reviews on nearly everything I purchase yet I don't immerse myself in the online community like I do with GPUs. I've never participated in a poll or forum on cars, digital cameras, tv's etc but I surely read reviews on them before buying.

You're not a "normal" person though. The fact that you do any research about products proves that much at least. Let alone the fact that you participate in highly technical discussions in forums such as this.

fellix, I guess your post got deleted. People are running the Uniengine 2.0 and claiming upto 40% performance increase, true or not?

Back