NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

No the pinned area is a single cast.

Hmm, it looks really good, i would have never guessed. But are those pins sewed of at ends or maybe shortened after casting? They really look too perfect on that pic. Never had a chance to see reference 4850 so maybe its just that pic.

I must say I really like the cuts in the board to help bring in more air. I think thats a good design. Hopefully ati takes advantage of it

Hmm, it looks really good, i would have never guessed. But are those pins sewed of at ends or maybe shortened after casting? They really look too perfect on that pic. Never had a chance to see reference 4850 so maybe its just that pic.

I have one of those . The heatsink is aluminium and not copper. It has just a copper paint.(good joke from amd :LOL:) The painting coat made the pins look better then they are.
But on other hand if u have highly polished die surface (something like Ra 0.8) than u can cast a realy good looking surface.

True, but leaf blowers still have no places in a PC. :p

Depends on where it is and when its loud as hell. My antec p180 is really good at reducing noise. My case is also under my desk and away from me.

So when I game (the only time my pc gets loud) I have head phones and its away from me. If i go down under my desk when its on tho.... yikes.

I had a 5800ultra and it was damn loud , but i haven't heard anything that loud since the delta black fans. Thankfully all my case and heatsink fans except the gpu are 120mm or larger.

My next case I kind of want a single 240mm fan in the front and a 240mm fan as an exhaust.

GF104 will be on the market before GF108, in fact it taped out some time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you optically notice a difference between an extruded metal surface against whatever else it'd look like?

form/structure. There are certain thing you can do with extrusion and certain things you cannot. The stripes on the surface would be pretty much impossible without a secondary processing step through CNC and even then there would be tell tales of the CNC without a polish step (again cost). It would be much more efficient to use a mold based technology to make it.

If I can hear my GFX card fan over the 700 watt (combined) speakers I have, i would be more worried about the airpressure such a fan would make :p

Performance (in games) is my "stick" for GFX cards...stuff like power, noise, size ect have no bearing for me...in high-end gaming ;)

This isn't a HTCP card ;)

If you have to use a 700W worth of speakers to drown out your fan, you have problems. And stuff like power, noise, size, etc DO have bearing for a LARGE portion of the high-end gaming market. This isn't the late 90s where people brag about all their 90db Delta screamers. We've evolved beyond that.

Not because I need to. But if it were soldered/welded onto the fins, they'd be not very flexible, right`?

Once the metal has been folded and connected they aren't suppose to be flexible. Thats the reason why with this style of stamped metal heatsink, the top and bottom of the fins is folded in an L junction and interlocked with its neighbors, structure rigidity.

Funny that the general consensus wrt power consumption and noise have changed so radically- look at pre/post R600 and now.

Or is it just the IHV...

The general consensus has been slowly changing since the late 90s when sites like silentpcreview (etc) got their start. In general, computer enthusiasts have gotten less and less tolerant to noise. You think a heatsink that relied on a Delta screamer would even stand a chance today? Funny enough, you are even seeing the same trend in the server market where in the past noise wasn't even on the radar but due to heath concerns it is starting to be an issue.

And I'm sure you remember the FX issues.

If you have to use a 700W worth of speakers to drown out your fan, you have problems. And stuff like power, noise, size, etc DO have bearing for a LARGE portion of the high-end gaming market. This isn't the late 90s where people brag about all their 90db Delta screamers. We've evolved beyond that.

As much as I agree with that, I doubt either company would hesitate to sacrifice noise and/or heat for overall performance if they were desperate enough.

Fermi will tick every desperation box, it will be "faster" while being "inferior" in every department. The question is, will history remember it as the baconator or as the fastest single gpu of 2010?

The problem is that until the air reach the end of the fins the air is already hot and that with low airflow. The axial fan needs to cool only the fins under the fan and that with much more air. Arctic Cooling coolers use only axial fans and they are much better than any centrifugal fan. Its strange that the AC coolers can keep the cards much cooler and quiter than the reference cards with blowers. And with high air flow the air escaping from the fins is just moderatly warm so u dont need any exhaust with complicated design.

When you are selling the heatsink/fan for $50+ vs <20-30 you can apply much more costlier solutions.

My next case I kind of want a single 240mm fan in the front and a 240mm fan as an exhaust.

problem is that the 240s aren't yet designed for noise vs airflow plus the additional weight and structure add to the noise. The 140/139s are just starting on the noise vs airflow curve and are still generally behind the high quality 120s.

Sigh. I'm so tired of hearing how Fermi is going to pwn, or blow, or rock, or hate, or piss in someone's breakfast cereal, or be the recipient thereof.

Can the 26th get here any sooner? I guess it's not even the 26th anymore is it, it's supposed to be the 29th now right? Ugh.

Don't all the aftermarket air coolers dump 100% of the heat into the case also?
Yeah, almost all of them except for the Asus Matrix series. Do SLI, and you need some serious case ventilation to deal with the extra ~360W heatload of twin 4890 GPUs for example...

Arctic cooling's cooler also blocks one extra card slot compared to AMD or NV's reference hardware, clearly not an acceptable alternative to many of us.

True, but leaf blowers still have no places in a PC. :p

It's like saying F1 cars makes to much noise....this is not prius class ;)

Well driving yourself deaf isn't an excuse for a loud graphics card. I play my games loud enough for my neighbours to complain (I live in a townhouse) and I still hear my 285 if it gets too warrm.

I can't hear my GTX 285 at 20% volume and I never game at +50% volume....just 40% is enough to make my neighbourgh comes ask for "peace" :LOL:
But the more watt you have, the better it sounds at lower volumes...and the more complete you soundpicture is.

Please train "Reading Comprehension" to level 1...even if I find you cute, fallacies are not :p

Sigh. I'm so tired of hearing how Fermi is going to pwn, or blow, or rock, or hate, or piss in someone's breakfast cereal, or be the recipient thereof.

Can the 26th get here any sooner? I guess it's not even the 26th anymore is it, it's supposed to be the 29th now right? Ugh.

Considering the amount of projects I have to get done before the 26th, I'm not really anticipating Fermi right now :D

I do remember the "oh noes HD4850 idles at 80C burn baby burn!" double standard though. Because only nVidia specced GPUs run fine up to 150C! /s

Back