NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

In my neck of wood the 5970 ranges between 533 and 573 Euros depending on vendor and store.

I think it's perfectly possible and entirely irrelevant. This initial batch of sales will be a pittance compared to the sunk cost for NVIDIA regardless of yields ... the manufacturing costs per chip of the respin are going to be important.

The latest pricing rumours/leaks/data/fud suggests it is more of a fire-launch than anything else. :???:

The latest pricing rumours/leaks/data/fud suggests it is more of a fire-launch than anything else. :???:
Let me just put my neck out and say that these rumors are almost certainly completely baseless, as it would be really silly for nVidia to be taking such a huge per-part loss on their chips on the promise of future yield improvements. Borderline suicidal is a description that comes to mind.

Well, I don't think testing/packaging scale with die cost
Packaging cost doesn't scale with yields, but testing costs obviously do ... the cost depends on the total number of dies, so at lower yields they will be high per working die.

Packaging cost doesn't scale with yields, but testing costs obviously do ... the cost depends on the total number of dies, so at lower yields they will be high per working die.
Fair enough. But whatever the real situation, it still makes no sense for nVidia to sell its chips at such a huge loss.

Let me just put my neck out and say that these rumors are almost certainly completely baseless, as it would be really silly for nVidia to be taking such a huge per-part loss on their chips on the promise of future yield improvements. Borderline suicidal is a description that comes to mind.
If my understanding of the term hot-lots is correct, then the wafers are already bought and paid for. It makes no sense to not make even $1 off them.

If however, if the B1 is delayed/screwed up......., well let's hope it's not.

For whomever it may concern ...

A potential scenario ... NVIDIA took a risk and parked a large amount of wafers hoping to fix yields in the metal layers. Would yields low enough to produce say 500$ per chip prices prevent them from going into production with those wafers? No, because most of the cost is already sunk. If that's the best they can do, so be it.

Frankly they need something on the market any way for PR reasons ... say they sell 50K boards at 200$ loss per chip, consider it a 10 million dollar ad campaign.

I thought the reviewers mentioned $599/€499 ($599 is def. the $ MSRP)

here is the rest of the list:

# HD5870 1GB GDDR5: $379 - €329-349
# HD5850 1GB GDDR5: $259 - €239
# HD5830 1GB GDDR5: $219 - €199
# HD5770 1GB GDDR5: $149 - €129
# HD5750 1GB GDDR5: $109 - €99
# HD5670 1GB GDDR5: $99 - €79
# HD5570 1GB DDR3: $79-69
# HD5450 1GB DDR3: $59-49

According to Fudzilla (but not Fudo himself) the GTX 470/480 boxes we've been seeing lately are... empty.

[...]according to our info, all of those boxes are still empty as Nvidia still didn't ship them to its partners. Partners did get one or two samples just so they know what to expect when the full batch comes.

According to a couple of our sources close to Nvidia, cards should hopefully be in partners' hands next week[...]

No cards in partners' hands 11 days from launch?

If my understanding of the term hot-lots is correct, then the wafers are already bought and paid for. It makes no sense to not make even $1 off them.

If however, if the B1 is delayed/screwed up......., well let's hope it's not.
What I'm saying is that it wouldn't make sense to buy a large number of wafers until the yields are high enough.

Anyway, let me just say that the most likely situation here is that the $500/chip was a miscommunication, and it really is $500/board.

Back